California vs. Midwest Schools with $$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
6thbackstreetboy
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:57 pm

California vs. Midwest Schools with $$$

Postby 6thbackstreetboy » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:47 pm

I didn't think I was going to need one of these threads, but I've recently become super indecisive. I have a few midwestern options where I could graduate with no debt. This appeals to me as I don't want big law. But I also want to work in southern California, where my wife is from, so I'm not sure these schools could get me back there. I don't need to worry about living expenses as my wife will still be working.

I could take one of these California schools:
UCLA with 20,000/a year scholarship= 85,000 in debt
UCI with 40,000/a year scholarship= 20,000 in debt

or

WUSTL with 43,000/a year scholarship= no debt
U of Minnesota with full tuition scholarship= no debt

I also have Michigan with 15,000 a year as an option, but I've pretty much ruled it out as I would be looking at around 100k in debt, and it would be a lot harder for my wife to find a job.

Soooooooo thoughts?

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: California vs. Midwest Schools with $$$

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:51 pm

If you want to live in California after law school, I think UCLA is the best option here.

This being said, negotiate the fuck out of them with the WUSTL and Minn full rides.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15457
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: California vs. Midwest Schools with $$$

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:53 pm

UCLA easily, even if they don't up the offer. But definitely try for more.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: California vs. Midwest Schools with $$$

Postby 071816 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:55 pm

UCLA and it isn't even close.
Last edited by 071816 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: California vs. Midwest Schools with $$$

Postby bdubs » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:55 pm

UCLA, but you should retake. A few more LSAT points would put you in a much better position.
Last edited by bdubs on Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: California vs. Midwest Schools with $$$

Postby bk1 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:55 pm

I think it's clearly UCLA/UCI at those prices. You can pay off that UCLA debt in 10 years even on a small firm salary (40-60k/year) so you wouldn't need biglaw.

I think it depends on your goals whether UCLA is worth the the extra money though it seems like since you don't want debt I would lean UCI.

User avatar
6thbackstreetboy
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:57 pm

Re: California vs. Midwest Schools with $$$

Postby 6thbackstreetboy » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:03 pm

Thanks for the replies! I already negotiated once with UCLA for the 60,000 up from 0 using scholarships from Texas and Minnesota. I just sent them another email with my Michigan offer, so I'm hoping they'll raise it. UCLA is by far my top choice, but I'm really not sure if it's worth that much more than UCI.

User avatar
Dignan
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: California vs. Midwest Schools with $$$

Postby Dignan » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:41 pm

6thbackstreetboy wrote:Thanks for the replies! I already negotiated once with UCLA for the 60,000 up from 0 using scholarships from Texas and Minnesota. I just sent them another email with my Michigan offer, so I'm hoping they'll raise it. UCLA is by far my top choice, but I'm really not sure if it's worth that much more than UCI.

If you're 100% sure you want to work in SoCal, then UCLA is a reasonable choice. But were I you, I'd consider Michigan a little more carefully. If I understand your post correctly, you'll have only $5K more debt per year at Michigan, which has a stronger national reputation and which probably places at least as well in SoCal as UCLA. There's an argument to be made that a median student at Michigan has a better shot at LA Big Law than a median student at UCLA.

Were your choice between UCLA w/$$$ and Michigan at sticker, I'd go with UCLA. But given that your total COA at the two schools is essentially the same, I'd probably go with Michigan.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15457
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: California vs. Midwest Schools with $$$

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:47 pm

Dignan wrote:If you're 100% sure you want to work in SoCal, then UCLA is a reasonable choice. But were I you, I'd consider Michigan a little more carefully. If I understand your post correctly, you'll have only $5K more debt per year at Michigan, which has a stronger national reputation and which probably places at least as well in SoCal as UCLA. There's an argument to be made that a median student at Michigan has a better shot at LA Big Law than a median student at UCLA.


I'd agree with this if the OP hadn't said he doesn't want BigLaw.

User avatar
moneybagsphd
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: California vs. Midwest Schools with $$$

Postby moneybagsphd » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:59 pm

Dignan wrote:
6thbackstreetboy wrote:Thanks for the replies! I already negotiated once with UCLA for the 60,000 up from 0 using scholarships from Texas and Minnesota. I just sent them another email with my Michigan offer, so I'm hoping they'll raise it. UCLA is by far my top choice, but I'm really not sure if it's worth that much more than UCI.

If you're 100% sure you want to work in SoCal, then UCLA is a reasonable choice. But were I you, I'd consider Michigan a little more carefully. If I understand your post correctly, you'll have only $5K more debt per year at Michigan, which has a stronger national reputation and which probably places at least as well in SoCal as UCLA. There's an argument to be made that a median student at Michigan has a better shot at LA Big Law than a median student at UCLA.

Were your choice between UCLA w/$$$ and Michigan at sticker, I'd go with UCLA. But given that your total COA at the two schools is essentially the same, I'd probably go with Michigan.

Agreed. I'm from SoCal and I'm struggling with a similar decision at the moment. I have 30k/year from UCLA, 40k/year from USC, and 18k/year from Michigan. So instead of a 15k diff between UCLA and Mich, I'm looking at 36k. But a Michigan degree is a lot more portable than a UCLA degree. I'd like to end up in CA, with a slight preference for N. CA, but I'll go where the jobs are. I think there's a pretty massive difference between a T10 and Vandy/UTex/UCLA/USC.

User avatar
Dignan
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: California vs. Midwest Schools with $$$

Postby Dignan » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:03 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Dignan wrote:If you're 100% sure you want to work in SoCal, then UCLA is a reasonable choice. But were I you, I'd consider Michigan a little more carefully. If I understand your post correctly, you'll have only $5K more debt per year at Michigan, which has a stronger national reputation and which probably places at least as well in SoCal as UCLA. There's an argument to be made that a median student at Michigan has a better shot at LA Big Law than a median student at UCLA.


I'd agree with this if the OP hadn't said he doesn't want BigLaw.

I'm sorry; I didn't read the OP's post carefully and missed this. Still, it seems like 75% of 0Ls apply to law school thinking that they don't want big law. But then, come OCI time before the start of the second year, it seems like 75% of students want big law. If the OP is going to choose UCLA over Mich, I think he should have a relatively clear picture of what his Southern California legal career will look like. Is he after midlaw? Public interest? A DA or public defender position?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: California vs. Midwest Schools with $$$

Postby bk1 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:05 pm

Dignan wrote:I'm sorry; I didn't read the OP's post carefully and missed this. Still, it seems like 75% of 0Ls apply to law school thinking that they don't want big law. But then, come OCI time before the start of the second year, it seems like 75% of students want big law. If the OP is going to choose UCLA over Mich, I think he should have a relatively clear picture of what his Southern California legal career will look like. Is he after midlaw? Public interest? A DA or public defender position?


I think it's also important that OP's wife would have a much harder time getting a job in MI.

imbored25
Posts: 361
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:58 pm

Re: California vs. Midwest Schools with $$$

Postby imbored25 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:10 pm

california sucks bro, go to wustl

User avatar
arhmcpo
Posts: 325
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:05 pm

Re: California vs. Midwest Schools with $$$

Postby arhmcpo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:13 pm

imbored25 wrote:california sucks bro, go to wustl Michigan

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: California vs. Midwest Schools with $$$

Postby 071816 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:55 pm

imbored25 wrote:california sucks bro, go to wustl




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dcc617, rararara111 and 3 guests