Miami vs Buffalo vs Rutgers (Newark)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jma020

Miami vs Buffalo vs Rutgers (Newark)

Postby jma020 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:00 am

Hi,

I'm trying do figure out where to go between these three schools. Remaining in the New York area is important to me but at the end of the day I'm trying to become an environmental lawyer and Miami offers a dual degree program in Oceanographic and Atmospheric Sciences. However Buffalo and Rutgers are public schools and the in state tuition is significantly cheaper. I was wondering if anyone could inform me on the benefits of receiving a Masters in Science. If its going to make me a much better candidate as a prospective environmental lawyer,maybe I should just go to Miami on sticker? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

wfudeacons2005

Re: Miami vs Buffalo vs Rutgers (Newark)

Postby wfudeacons2005 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:05 am

I can't comment a whole lot on environmental law specifically but I can guarantee that no one on here is going to recommend that you take Miami at sticker, no matter what program they have. Poor job prospects and high costs will likely doom you. I considered going to a similarly ranked school, American, at sticker because they had "stronger" programs than my in-state school in the fields that I am interested in but if you do a little research you will be terrified. You will be taking on significant debt to go to a place that provides you with little opportunity to make it back and the Florida market, like DC, is horribly over-saturated. While it may sound ridiculous, poking around online will show you that Miami at sticker may very well ruin your life. Most people, in fact, will probably tell you not to go to law school at all or wait a year and retake. However, as someone who didn't get into the T14-25 schools, I understand that you probably do really want to go to law school this fall and the latter two options aren't terrible ideas because they are cheap and that minimizes your risk.

From what I understand, Buffalo places reasonable well in upstate New York but out of the three I'd say go to Rutgers-Newark. I must say from the get go that I am likely attending there this fall but regardless I think its a clear choice here (unless you have spectacular ties in New York). First off, regardless of what state you live in now, as long as you show a 12 month lease before the first day of classes you get in-state tuition for your entire time there. Then, with regards to the market, Rutgers does place well within New Jersey. As someone from New Jersey with both parents in the legal world, I can attest to this. It isn't going to get you much beyond that and you likely won't get a huge paying job right off the bat but the fact that it does pretty well in its home market is more than many TT schools can say. And, I know the state gets a bad rap, but I can tell you that living near NYC, in the tri-state area is pretty damn decent...surely better than Buffalo. Again, this isn't stated with a whole lot of insight into environmental law but I can't imagine Buffalo has a substantially better program than Rutgers does.

BTW: As you may know Vermont Law School specializes almost exclusively in environmental work and since it is a TTT and you got into schools in the 60-80 range, maybe you could try applying there and see if your numbers can get a sizable scholarship with minimal stipulations that puts the cost on par or below Rutgers and Buffalo. Just an thought.

jma020

Postby jma020 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:10 am

Thanks for the advice ill definitely take that into consideration. Honestly im kind of hesitant about being in Newark the next 3 years but I guess it maybe the lesser of the evils. Would love to hear some other takes on it. Thanks Again

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:13 am

jma020 wrote:Thanks for the advice ill definitely take that into consideration. Honestly im kind of hesitant about being in Newark the next 3 years but I guess it maybe the lesser of the evils. Would love to hear some other takes on it. Thanks Again

Rutgers Newark is an excellent school for certain goals. Those goals being that you want to spend your legal career practicing in New Jersey. You can keep your debt reasonably low as far as tuition goes but you still have to pay for CoL which isn't cheap in N NJ. IF by NY are you include the other side of the river it is not a bad choice but it isn't a vehicle to get you into big law or likely into environmental law unless that environmental place is in NJ.....

Buffalo is fine IF your goal is to work in N NY and you are OK with the reduced chances of getting a job....

Miami is just plain expensive at sticker and does not place well outside of S FL.

I am not a fan of the constant "retake" advice if it simply moves you up a couple ranking numbers but that retake advice to achieve the end goal IS very good advice...

It's really up to you if any of these will actually meet your goals and do it without devastating debt....

JC

Return to “Choosing a Law School”