UMN vs. WUSTL vs. Utah

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UMN/WUSTL/Utah

UMN - 105k debt
45%
WUSTL - 140k debt
36%
Utah - 80k debt
18%

Total votes: 11

go-the-bees

UMN vs. WUSTL vs. Utah

Postby go-the-bees » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:43 pm

I posted another poll earlier but things have changed. I'm now looking at UMN ($75k scholarship, 2.5GPA stip), WUSTL ($60k scholarship guaranteed, currently negotiating $), and Utah (in-state + $13k scholarship, 3.3GPA/top 50%-ish stip).
I am originally from Indiana/Michigan, all of my family still in Indiana, Michigan and Illinois. I left for undergrad, moved back for a couple of years, then moved to Utah 3.5 years ago (so in-state tuition). I don't want to stay in Utah for the rest of my life, I'd rather get back to the Midwest. Are my ties to the Midwest region sufficient for Minn/StL even though I don't have ties to the states/cities in which UMN/WUSTL are located? Is it worth $100k+ for Midwest schools, or is Utah for much less money just as good?
Also: not really interested in Biglaw, more public interest focused so debt is a big concern.
Any thoughts?

go-the-bees

Re: UMN vs. WUSTL vs. Utah

Postby go-the-bees » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:04 pm

Would it make any difference if the Utah scholarship was full tuition, or if the WUSTL scholarship were increased?

Anyone want to offer analysis on the advantages/disadvantages of being from the wider region, but not from the state/city in which UMN and WUSTL are located?

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Postby BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:19 pm

Go to Utah with less debt. I did not apply there, therefore, you will not be competition to me at WUSTL or UM. Withdraw from them and go to Utah.

go-the-bees

Postby go-the-bees » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:49 pm

Thanks for the input. Since I can't believe you're actually worried about me being competition at UMN/WUSTL, I'm going to assume you're only serious about the advice to go to Utah because of the debt factor :)

Did those who voted for Utah do so based solely on the numbers, or do you also think there is a realistic possibility of getting back to the Midwest with a Utah degree and Midwest ties? I'm a non-LDS lesbian, so while I like living in SLC for now, I'm not sure I want to be here permanently (maybe I should have said that in my original post).

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Postby BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:37 pm

go-the-bees wrote:Thanks for the input. Since I can't believe you're actually worried about me being competition at UMN/WUSTL, I'm going to assume you're only serious about the advice to go to Utah because of the debt factor :)

Did those who voted for Utah do so based solely on the numbers, or do you also think there is a realistic possibility of getting back to the Midwest with a Utah degree and Midwest ties? I'm a non-LDS lesbian, so while I like living in SLC for now, I'm not sure I want to be here permanently (maybe I should have said that in my original post).

Uh...do all your schools know you're a lesbian? That could go a long way in how much money you get. Please tell me you informed your schools...?!

In that case, Minnesota or WUSTL is your best bet. I think both have decent LRAP in addition to placing in cities where you will be more comfortable, namely, Chicago and Minneapolis.

go-the-bees

Postby go-the-bees » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:42 pm

Yes, the major theme of my PS was about my experience being a lesbian and overcoming adversity. I'm not sure if it made a difference in merit scholarships, though.

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Postby BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:51 pm

Huh, apparently. Maybe they have an abundance of lesbians this cycle? Who knows...? But I would definitely want to live in a nice city if I was gay. Look into their LRAP and see if that may mitigate your initial financial hit when paying for either WUSTL or Minnesota. F- Utah. You won't go anywhere outside the Mountain region, and won't break Denver.

Quality of life for a person of your persuasion, as if you don't already know, includes an environment as free from ignorance as possible. Good thing you didn't apply to Pepperdine!

Anyway, I would go to WUSTL or Minnesota. Look into LRAP!!!! It could change an initial investment of 100K into 30K down the road.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”