Which school would be best for working in San Diego?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where to go to live in San Diego?

USC
12%
UCLA
51%
USD w/ scholarship
22%
BYU w/ scholarship
15%

Total votes: 41

cnation

Which school would be best for working in San Diego?

Postby cnation » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:41 pm

Two friends and I are getting ready to apply to law schools for Fall 2013 and would like to end up working in San Diego. I would love to work for a big firm there but understand there aren't a ton, but are there a decent amount? I would also be fine working at a private firm that is a little smaller, but not too small-if it's not going to pay much). I understand UCLA and USC are the best schools in the southern CA region, and much better than USD, but do any of you know how good they are in San Diego, specifically. I have a 3.9 GPA and am expecting an LSAT somewhere in the 160s. Any advice would be good, but I'm mostly debating this idea of what is actually best to work in San Diego, understanding I could make less money to do so, but that's what I want to do. Especially if anyone is familiar with USC or UCLA, how are they in San Diego? If I got a big scholarship from USD, would it be worth it? Also, if anyone knows about BYUs ability to send people to San Diego.

Please give responses, not just the vote, that's just for fun.
Last edited by cnation on Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Re: Which school would be best for working in San Diego?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:48 pm

The pecking order is the same as it is for anywhere else in California. Stanford>Berkeley>USC/UCLA.

Study your ass off on the LSAT and shoot for Stanford.

I'd estimate there are maybe 50 summer associate positions in San Diego, and everyone wants to be there. Plan accordingly.

bdole2

Postby bdole2 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:50 pm

Yale.

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:53 pm

Have you thought about retaking and going higher? That's a stellar GPA...

If your LSAT is in the low 160's I strongly suggest retaking. If it's in the upper 160s then skip USD and stick with your other options.

If you retake and get 169+ you have a really solid shot at Stanford (it sounds like you're intent on staying in CA for LS).

bdole2

Postby bdole2 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:54 pm

splitbrain wrote:Have you thought about retaking and going higher? That's a stellar GPA...

If your LSAT is in the low 160's I strongly suggest retaking. If it's in the upper 160s then skip USD and stick with your other options.

If you retake and get 169+ you have a really solid shot at Stanford (it sounds like you're intent on staying in CA for LS).

Re-read his post. He hasn't taken it at all.

cnation

Postby cnation » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:58 pm

Ya haven't taken it. Is Stanford and Berk going to definitely have the weight down in San Diego? I also don't want to have the pressure of having to get top 50% or 25% at one of the top schools. I had a friend with a high 3.9 and 164 and he didn't get into UCLA or Berk, but got in after being wait listed at USC.

bdole2

Postby bdole2 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:03 pm

Yes, Stanford and Berkeley will be better than UCLA/USC. It's hard to give you advice without an LSAT score. Check out the LSAT forum on this site for good tips on how to get a high score. The LSAT is the most important part of law school admissions, and with a superb LSAT and a 3.9 GPA there is no limit to where you can go.

Most schools are regional. The T-14 is the exception (for the most part)

cnation

Postby cnation » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:11 pm

Okay let's just say of USC and UCLA...how good are they seen in San Diego? And what about BYU?

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:17 pm

bdole2 wrote:
splitbrain wrote:Have you thought about retaking and going higher? That's a stellar GPA...

Re-read his post. He hasn't taken it at all.

Whoops. Not gonna lie, I skimmed the crap out of it.

OP, in that case, holy crap come back when you have a score.

Postby 071816 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:19 pm

bdole2 wrote:Yale.

bdole2

Postby bdole2 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:20 pm

cnation wrote:Okay let's just say of USC and UCLA...how good are they seen in San Diego? And what about BYU?

I imagine USC or UCLA would be the best possible schools for San Diego after the T-14. And why BYU? Are you Mormon? I don't know but I think you would be better off going to a CA school, unless it's Thomas Jefferson or something (yuck)

PMan99

Postby PMan99 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:26 pm

There would be no point in going to BYU for SD Biglaw.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:44 pm

chimp wrote:
bdole2 wrote:Yale.

Gleason

Postby Gleason » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:02 pm

It's not clear from OP's post whether or not OP has ties to San Diego. I think that would be a major factor. Most markets like ties; SD especially.

I wouldn't necessarily say USD if no ties, but it might tip the scales if we're talking about a fullride v. fullfrieight. Without an LSAT score, it's hard to say--but ~ties in SD should be a major consideration.

Also, have you considered UCI? It should definitely be on your radar.

cnation

Postby cnation » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:35 am

Thanks everyone. Ya, to answer some of the posts, I'm LDS and I did my undergrad at BYU and ya I'm born and raised in San Diego. I don't want to stay at BYU, but it is under 10k a year and I'd hope to get a scholarship. If I get into Stanford, I'd go there, but we'll see. I'm expecting mid 160s with a lot of studying.

jeff_lebowski

Postby jeff_lebowski » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:00 pm

PMan99 wrote:There would be no point in going to BYU for SD Biglaw.

that's not necessarily true. the jrcls alumni network is extremely loyal, and the lds population in san diego law is quite a bit higher than one might assume at first glance.

StarLightSpectre

Postby StarLightSpectre » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:02 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:The pecking order is the same as it is for anywhere else in California. Stanford>Berkeley>USC/UCLA.

Study your ass off on the LSAT and shoot for Stanford.

I'd estimate there are maybe 50 summer associate positions in San Diego, and everyone wants to be there. Plan accordingly.

Tiago came in a dropped the hammer. I likey.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:06 pm

There are more BYU kids than NYU, Columbia, or Yale kids in San Diego and Orange County. OP PM me if you want some relevant information.

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:26 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:There are more BYU kids than NYU, Columbia, or Yale kids in San Diego and Orange County. OP PM me if you want some relevant information.

Objection: relevance.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:48 pm

splitbrain wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:There are more BYU kids than NYU, Columbia, or Yale kids in San Diego and Orange County. OP PM me if you want some relevant information.

Objection: relevance.

Point is that BYU has two regions: Utah and SoCal that it places well into. It places as well as Irvine into Southern California.

El_Gallo

Postby El_Gallo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:02 pm

I don't think UCLA and USC are worth sticker. You should go to USD or BYU if you can keep your debt under 60k or so.

snd1988

Postby snd1988 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:29 am

jeff_lebowski wrote:

that's not necessarily true. the jrcls alumni network is extremely loyal, and the lds population in san diego law is quite a bit higher than one might assume at first glance.

Truth. I'm a 1L at BYU originally from San Diego. There are plenty of BYU law alum there and I know for sure that one of the big firms (DLA Piper) recruits from BYU. Rank isn't everything. Your rank within your class matters more and it does help to go to school.within a reasonable area of where you want to work. If you don't go to school close to where you want to work, make sure you do externships in that area.

Btw. BYU is amazing. I'm not LDS, either. It is just an amazing law school.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:51 am

snd1988 wrote:
jeff_lebowski wrote:

Truth. I'm a 1L at BYU originally from San Diego. There are plenty of BYU law alum there and I know for sure that one of the big firms (DLA Piper) recruits from BYU. Rank isn't everything. Your rank within your class matters more and it does help to go to school.within a reasonable area of where you want to work. If you don't go to school close to where you want to work, make sure you do externships in that area.

Btw. BYU is amazing. I'm not LDS, either. It is just an amazing law school.

I hope you realize that DLA Piper is the punchline to about a million jokes and that this is not without cause.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:47 am

cnation wrote: I also don't want to have the pressure of having to get top 50% or 25% at one of the top schools.
Far better to have the pressure of having to get top 50% at Berkeley than having to get top 10% at San Diego

Return to “Choosing a Law School”