Hastings with 60k debt...doable?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
prosen5808
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:08 pm

Hastings with 60k debt...doable?

Postby prosen5808 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:39 pm

Hastings was originally where I wanted to end up because I know some people who go there and like it, the attorneys I worked for rave about it, and I really want to live in SF, but a lot of people on this forum hate on Hastings so I'm worried. I will have about 60k in loans. To me this doesn't seem bad but I wanted to hear other opinions since I'm a sunshine-y optimist. I know people here don't think Hastings is worth the money, but what about for this amount? Thanks!
Last edited by prosen5808 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15520
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Hastings with 60k debt...doable?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:43 pm

Sounds very reasonable.

User avatar
moneybagsphd
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: Hastings with 60k debt...doable?

Postby moneybagsphd » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:44 pm

doable.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Hastings with 60k debt...doable?

Postby bk1 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:49 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Sounds very reasonable.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Hastings with 60k debt...doable?

Postby rad lulz » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:49 pm

bk1 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:Sounds very reasonable.

User avatar
prosen5808
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:08 pm

Re: Hastings with 60k debt...doable?

Postby prosen5808 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:56 pm

Wow this is lovely to hear. I knew I liked you guys.

User avatar
splitbrain
Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: Hastings with 60k debt...doable?

Postby splitbrain » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:57 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Sounds very reasonable.

Yah sounds fine to me.

The negativity that I've seen comes when people are talking about $200k+ debt ITE. Hastings is still a good school.

Sidenote: I personally give them bonus points for the way they report employment data on their website :mrgreen: .

tunarat
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:18 pm

Re: Hastings with 60k debt...doable?

Postby tunarat » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:07 pm

I'm in almost exactly the same boat in terms of eventual debt, prosen5808.

Hastings is likely where I am headed also, especially with their generous 15K/yr scholarship and the fact that I am a 22 year old who'd enjoy at least 3 years living in the city. On top of that, I am hoping that b/c my numbers are slightly higher than most incoming students that I am in a position to similarly work my way into the top 10-15% of the class.

I just wish the scholarship didn't move the 1st seat deposit deadline to april 15 b/c I just got in to Davis and am toying with the idea of going to their ASD in late April but only if they give me at least 10K/yr. I've heard great things about Hastings everywhere but these forums, so this is a welcome relief...

User avatar
prosen5808
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:08 pm

Re: Hastings with 60k debt...doable?

Postby prosen5808 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:39 pm

tunarat wrote:I'm in almost exactly the same boat in terms of eventual debt, prosen5808.

Hastings is likely where I am headed also, especially with their generous 15K/yr scholarship and the fact that I am a 22 year old who'd enjoy at least 3 years living in the city. On top of that, I am hoping that b/c my numbers are slightly higher than most incoming students that I am in a position to similarly work my way into the top 10-15% of the class.

I just wish the scholarship didn't move the 1st seat deposit deadline to april 15 b/c I just got in to Davis and am toying with the idea of going to their ASD in late April but only if they give me at least 10K/yr. I've heard great things about Hastings everywhere but these forums, so this is a welcome relief...


Yeah I'm really looking forward to living in the city! I too hope that my gpa and lsat are somewhat representative of how I'll do in class rank although I'm not counting on it since it's a fresh start once we're there. Didn't apply to Davis but I'm waiting on USC. Getting into SC would throw me for a loop but I'd probably still choose Hastings because I'll have less debt and I don't really want to live in LA. Also if I move to SF I can finally get rid of my poor excuse of a car and just use public transportation.
Last edited by prosen5808 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11804
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Hastings with 60k debt...doable?

Postby ilovesf » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:53 pm

Welcome to Hastings! I'm a 1L and mostly love it. Just want to give you some caution: just because your stats were above average, that does not translate into excelling in law school. Taking a law school test isn't really about how brilliant you are. I know people who got into much better schools and decided to attend Hastings to be in SF and they were median pwned. There are also people who got waitlisted and ended up in the top of the class, so it is pretty unpredictable.

User avatar
prosen5808
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:08 pm

Re: Hastings with 60k debt...doable?

Postby prosen5808 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:01 pm

ilovesf wrote:Welcome to Hastings! I'm a 1L and mostly love it. Just want to give you some caution: just because your stats were above average, that does not translate into excelling in law school. Taking a law school test isn't really about how brilliant you are. I know people who got into much better schools and decided to attend Hastings to be in SF and they were median pwned. There are also people who got waitlisted and ended up in the top of the class, so it is pretty unpredictable.


Yes I most definitely don't assume I'll be excelling there. But from what my lurking on the forum tells me, unless I'm in at a T14 I shouldn't really choose a school solely based on it's rank, meaning USC wouldn't automatically/easily win over Hastings if I get $$ at Hastings AND like the location better, yeah?

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11804
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Hastings with 60k debt...doable?

Postby ilovesf » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:06 pm

prosen5808 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:Welcome to Hastings! I'm a 1L and mostly love it. Just want to give you some caution: just because your stats were above average, that does not translate into excelling in law school. Taking a law school test isn't really about how brilliant you are. I know people who got into much better schools and decided to attend Hastings to be in SF and they were median pwned. There are also people who got waitlisted and ended up in the top of the class, so it is pretty unpredictable.


Yes I most definitely don't assume I'll be excelling there. But from what my lurking on the forum tells me, unless I'm in at a T14 I shouldn't really choose a school solely based on it's rank, meaning USC wouldn't automatically/easily win over Hastings if I get $$ at Hastings AND like the location better, yeah?

I think it depends on the amount of $ from Hastings, and whether you want norcal v. socal long term. I also don't know the exact employment data from USC, but I'm sure it is significantly better. I do think that many people would say though that going to USC over Hastings would be a pretty easy choice.

tunarat
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:18 pm

Re: Hastings with 60k debt...doable?

Postby tunarat » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:07 pm

prosen5808 wrote:
tunarat wrote:I'm in almost exactly the same boat in terms of eventual debt, prosen5808.

Hastings is likely where I am headed also, especially with their generous 15K/yr scholarship and the fact that I am a 22 year old who'd enjoy at least 3 years living in the city. On top of that, I am hoping that b/c my numbers are slightly higher than most incoming students that I am in a position to similarly work my way into the top 10-15% of the class.

I just wish the scholarship didn't move the 1st seat deposit deadline to april 15 b/c I just got in to Davis and am toying with the idea of going to their ASD in late April but only if they give me at least 10K/yr. I've heard great things about Hastings everywhere but these forums, so this is a welcome relief...


Yeah I'm really looking forward to living in the city! I too hope that my gpa and lsat are somewhat representative of how I'll do in class rank although I'm not counting on it since it's a fresh start once we're there. Didn't apply to Davis but I'm waiting on USC. Getting into SC would throw me for a loop but I'd probably still choose Hastings because I'll have less debt and I don't really want to live in LA. Also if I move to SF I can finally get rid of my poor excuse of a car and just use public transportation.


Same deal with SC throwing me for a loop if I get in. Even though I have money to cover about 1.5 years of law school, I'm very debt-averse, and don't know how I'd handle paying sticker at USC. And by all accounts, SF>LA. haha and yet another parallel: I drive a shitty 94 volvo beast of a car, just praying that it doesn't break down on the way to visit schools...

ilovesf: I wholeheartedly agree with your point, I'm just used to out-working people and think that discipline should carry over into law school.

User avatar
prosen5808
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:08 pm

Re: Hastings with 60k debt...doable?

Postby prosen5808 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:12 pm

ilovesf wrote:
prosen5808 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:Welcome to Hastings! I'm a 1L and mostly love it. Just want to give you some caution: just because your stats were above average, that does not translate into excelling in law school. Taking a law school test isn't really about how brilliant you are. I know people who got into much better schools and decided to attend Hastings to be in SF and they were median pwned. There are also people who got waitlisted and ended up in the top of the class, so it is pretty unpredictable.


Yes I most definitely don't assume I'll be excelling there. But from what my lurking on the forum tells me, unless I'm in at a T14 I shouldn't really choose a school solely based on it's rank, meaning USC wouldn't automatically/easily win over Hastings if I get $$ at Hastings AND like the location better, yeah?

I think it depends on the amount of $ from Hastings, and whether you want norcal v. socal long term. I also don't know the exact employment data from USC, but I'm sure it is significantly better. I do think that many people would say though that going to USC over Hastings would be a pretty easy choice.


Mmm yeah that is true. I guess I'm just trying to justify my happiness with Hastings because I don't think I'll be getting into USC. But maybe I would just have to say goodbye to my dream of living in SF and go for the better rank.

User avatar
prosen5808
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:08 pm

Re: Hastings with 60k debt...doable?

Postby prosen5808 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:14 pm

tunarat wrote:
prosen5808 wrote:
tunarat wrote:I'm in almost exactly the same boat in terms of eventual debt, prosen5808.

Hastings is likely where I am headed also, especially with their generous 15K/yr scholarship and the fact that I am a 22 year old who'd enjoy at least 3 years living in the city. On top of that, I am hoping that b/c my numbers are slightly higher than most incoming students that I am in a position to similarly work my way into the top 10-15% of the class.

I just wish the scholarship didn't move the 1st seat deposit deadline to april 15 b/c I just got in to Davis and am toying with the idea of going to their ASD in late April but only if they give me at least 10K/yr. I've heard great things about Hastings everywhere but these forums, so this is a welcome relief...


Yeah I'm really looking forward to living in the city! I too hope that my gpa and lsat are somewhat representative of how I'll do in class rank although I'm not counting on it since it's a fresh start once we're there. Didn't apply to Davis but I'm waiting on USC. Getting into SC would throw me for a loop but I'd probably still choose Hastings because I'll have less debt and I don't really want to live in LA. Also if I move to SF I can finally get rid of my poor excuse of a car and just use public transportation.


Same deal with SC throwing me for a loop if I get in. Even though I have money to cover about 1.5 years of law school, I'm very debt-averse, and don't know how I'd handle paying sticker at USC. And by all accounts, SF>LA. haha and yet another parallel: I drive a shitty 94 volvo beast of a car, just praying that it doesn't break down on the way to visit schools...

ilovesf: I wholeheartedly agree with your point, I'm just used to out-working people and think that discipline should carry over into law school.


Don't make me put up a picture and sound clip of my car while it runs. It will just be awkward for everyone.

Edit: Did I mention it involves a 18 inch tall spoiler? In other news I'm a 23 year old white girl.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11804
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Hastings with 60k debt...doable?

Postby ilovesf » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:16 pm

prosen5808 wrote:Mmm yeah that is true. I guess I'm just trying to justify my happiness with Hastings because I don't think I'll be getting into USC. But maybe I would just have to say goodbye to my dream of living in SF and go for the better rank.

Well I'm not saying don't go to Hastings. I'm really happy here, I did well, and I got something good for the summer. With your financial situation, it's totally reasonable to go to Hastings. If you get into USC, it is worth a conversation. It isn't that it is better ranked, it's that it provides better employment prospects.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11804
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Hastings with 60k debt...doable?

Postby ilovesf » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:17 pm

Also not needing a car in SF is awesome :)

User avatar
splitbrain
Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: Hastings with 60k debt...doable?

Postby splitbrain » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:18 pm

ilovesf wrote:Also not needing a car in SF is awesome :)

Yeeeeaaah I'm jealous of this.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tx1990 and 5 guests