Campbell Law?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BlueJeanBaby

Campbell Law?

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:26 pm

I was hoping for some insight on Campbell Law School. The school's profile says it does well for such a low ranked school. If anyone could provide any information or opinions about it I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you

westinghouse60

Re: Campbell Law?

Postby westinghouse60 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:32 pm

BlueJeanBaby wrote:I was hoping for some insight on Campbell Law School. The school's profile says it does well for such a low ranked school. If anyone could provide any information or opinions about it I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you

Lol they admit to being a low ranked school on their profile?

Edit: just realized you probably meant TLS profile, not official school profile.

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:42 pm

westinghouse60 wrote:
BlueJeanBaby wrote:I was hoping for some insight on Campbell Law School. The school's profile says it does well for such a low ranked school. If anyone could provide any information or opinions about it I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you

Edit: just realized you probably meant TLS profile, not official school profile.

Yes, your edit is accurate. I've been doing some thinking and I am becoming deathly afraid of debt. I am just trying to figure out if Campbell would be a good option if one could go without taking out any loans.

westinghouse60

Postby westinghouse60 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:51 pm

BlueJeanBaby wrote:
westinghouse60 wrote:

Yes, your edit is accurate. I've been doing some thinking and I am becoming deathly afraid of debt. I am just trying to figure out if Campbell would be a good option if one could go without taking out any loans.

Would your cost of living be covered too or would you have to take out loans for that? Are you from NC/have ties there?

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:54 pm

westinghouse60 wrote:
BlueJeanBaby wrote:
westinghouse60 wrote:Lol they admit to being a low ranked school on their profile?

Would your cost of living be covered too or would you have to take out loans for that? Are you from NC/have ties there?

No I would not have to take out loans for living. My husband has a decent job and makes enough to pay for our home and all of our bills. We also have a savings account that I could tap into for extra expenses such as books, etc. My husband's job is in Raleigh, hence my looking at this school in the first place.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:57 pm

Graduating with no debt is nice, so at least your life wouldn't be ruined. But the odds are overwhelmingly against you ever getting any kind of legal job with a Campbell JD. I'd say, maybe a 15-20% chance (and that might be generous).

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:00 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Graduating with no debt is nice, so at least your life wouldn't be ruined. But the odds are overwhelmingly against you ever getting any kind of legal job with a Campbell JD. I'd say, maybe a 15-20% chance (and that might be generous).

That is quite low. My credentials as an applicant are mediocre. I could quite possibly swing an acceptance from UNC and/or Wake, but I would likely be paying full price for it and ALSO have to pay for cost of living since I would have to get a home separate from my husband. I would end up in pretty substantial debt...

westinghouse60

Postby westinghouse60 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:05 pm

BlueJeanBaby wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Graduating with no debt is nice, so at least your life wouldn't be ruined. But the odds are overwhelmingly against you ever getting any kind of legal job with a Campbell JD. I'd say, maybe a 15-20% chance (and that might be generous).

That is quite low. My credentials as an applicant are mediocre. I could quite possibly swing an acceptance from UNC and/or Wake, but I would likely be paying full price for it and ALSO have to pay for cost of living since I would have to get a home separate from my husband. I would end up in pretty substantial debt...

You'd be better off paying tuition+COL and graduating from UNC than just COL and graduating from Campbell.

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:14 pm

westinghouse60 wrote:
BlueJeanBaby wrote:

You'd be better off paying tuition+COL and graduating from UNC than just COL and graduating from Campbell.

It would be tuition+COL at UNC and nothing at Campbell (I don't have to pay for my cost of living when living with my husband). I would estimate a bit over $100,000 in debt for UNC and $0 for Campbell. Of course, this is assuming UNC accepts me. I am right at their medians.

westinghouse60

Postby westinghouse60 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:18 pm

BlueJeanBaby wrote:
westinghouse60 wrote:
BlueJeanBaby wrote:

It would be tuition+COL at UNC and nothing at Campbell (I don't have to pay for my cost of living when living with my husband). I would estimate a bit over $100,000 in debt for UNC and $0 for Campbell. Of course, this is assuming UNC accepts me. I am right at their medians.

Sorry, I read your response in a hurry, that changes things somewhat. But if you are at medians at UNC, you will probably get in if you're an NC resident, since medians are based on OOS residents (which are higher) combined with in state ones (which are probably slightly lower than the actual medians).

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:25 pm

What is your reason for wanting to go to law school?

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:35 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:What is your reason for wanting to go to law school?

Are you inquiring about what type of law I would like to practice? Or what type of law firm I would like to work in? Well, to answer the second I would preferably work in a boutique firm with a handful of attorneys at most. Something close to my home where I could make a comfortable living.

skw

Postby skw » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:39 pm

BlueJeanBaby wrote:

I'm not sure how you plan to attend Campbell with no debt, but assuming they're giving you a full scholly, you can 100% get into Carolina. Are you in-state? If so, you should suck it up and pay the in-state tuition to Carolina where you will have a better (reasonable) chance at legal employment.

For reference, I was admitted to Campbell with significant scholarship offers and also to Carolina with no $. The cost was equal at that point, so I picked Carolina. Now that I see how much better job opps are out of UNC, I am so glad I made that choice. Plus, Carolina decided to award me merit $ (renewable with no stips for all 3 years) after 1st semester, so now I'm positive I made the right choice (e.g. less $ than Campbell and way better prospects).

skw

Postby skw » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:48 pm

BlueJeanBaby wrote:

There is no reason for you to get a separate home from your husband in Raleigh to attend Carolina in Chapel Hill. Tons of students here do that commute every day. That would be an insane thing to do. Live with your husband, commute to school, go to Carolina. If your LSAT is holding you back, take a year off and re-take.

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:54 pm

skw wrote:
BlueJeanBaby wrote:

There is no reason for you to get a separate home from your husband in Raleigh to attend Carolina in Chapel Hill. Tons of students here do that commute every day. That would be an insane thing to do. Live with your husband, commute to school, go to Carolina. If your LSAT is holding you back, take a year off and re-take.

I private messaged you inquiring about if you think I have a shot at Carolina. Also, my husband works in Raleigh but we actually live south of it. It would be about an hour drive to UNC without any traffic. I guess that is doable.

imbored25

Postby imbored25 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:08 pm

don't go bro

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:18 pm

Is the ABA data on the LSAC website accurate? It says that 70% of the 90% that are employed are employed in law firms. So, 63% are employed in law firms. That is a bit higher than the predicted 15-20%. Are these statistics manipulated?

SunshineMagic

Postby SunshineMagic » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:40 pm

This is soooo dumb if you would be attending campbell at zero cost with zero debt and want to stay in Raleigh/triangle area for good then go to campbell over commuting an hour to class at UNC where you would still be looking at 90k-100k dollars in debt for instate tuition.... Would you rather come out of school with a small mortgage or come out owing nothing? Yes you might not get a job... but you could also not get a job out of UNC and have a 100k in debt....

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:41 pm

BlueJeanBaby wrote:Is the ABA data on the LSAC website accurate? It says that 70% of the 90% that are employed are employed in law firms. So, 63% are employed in law firms. That is a bit higher than the predicted 15-20%. Are these statistics manipulated?
The stats are misleading. Those could be part-time jobs, temporary jobs, doc review jobs, paralegal or legal secretary jobs. To really know how well their students are doing, you'd need to know how many of those jobs are bar passage required, permanent and full-time.

The data for the class of 2010 from the Campbell site says that the top salary ANYONE made was $83k, and the average is around $55k. And that's with only 36% of the class reporting salary (hint: people making good salary do not 'forget' to report it).

Think about this: Northwestern, which publishes some of the most detailed and transparent employment data of all the schools, reports 62% of their grads working in private firms. Do you really think Campbell is matching that? Of course not.

Would you be ok working part-time, doing document review on a year-long contract, or being a paralegal? Or at that point would you just go back to your pre-law school career or housewifing? Would you consider the 3 years, current salary lost, and tuition money spent worth the experience just to get the JD to hang on your wall? That's not an invalid position; it's just not one that most people hold.

I'm not saying UNC is a super great idea either, understand. It's a lot of money for really not THAT much better shot at a job. I'm just trying to get you to understand how badly schools like Campbell place.
Last edited by rinkrat19 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SunshineMagic

Postby SunshineMagic » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:42 pm

also the guy who said 15%-20somthing% get actual JD jobs out of campbell. As in no one paralegals etc for a year and then gets a JD job has no clue what he is talking about and is pulling shit out of his ass

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:54 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
BlueJeanBaby wrote:Is the ABA data on the LSAC website accurate? It says that 70% of the 90% that are employed are employed in law firms. So, 63% are employed in law firms. That is a bit higher than the predicted 15-20%. Are these statistics manipulated?
The stats are misleading. Those could be part-time jobs, temporary jobs, doc review jobs, paralegal or legal secretary jobs. To really know how well their students are doing, you'd need to know how many of those jobs are bar passage required, permanent and full-time.

The data for the class of 2010 from the Campbell site says that the top salary ANYONE made was $83k, and the average is around $55k. And that's with only 36% of the class reporting salary (hint: people making good salary do not 'forget' to report it).

Think about this: Northwestern, which publishes some of the most detailed and transparent employment data of all the schools, reports 62% of their grads working in private firms. Do you really think Campbell is matching that? Of course not.

Would you be ok working part-time, doing document review on a year-long contract, or being a paralegal? Or at that point would you just go back to your pre-law school career or housewifing?

I'm not saying UNC is a super great idea either, understand. It's a lot of money for really not THAT much better shot at a job. I'm just trying to get you to understand how badly schools like Campbell place.

I've been a paralegal for some years now and am going to law school to leave that behind, so no I wouldn't be happy with that. Also, if I did well I would consider applying for a transfer, although I understand it is foolish to ever count on that... so if I were to attend a school like Campbell I need to come to terms with the prospects. If I did graduate without debt, I could essentially do something else with my life if I couldn't find legal employment... but boy would that be a waste of 3 years of my youth.

skw

Postby skw » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:12 pm

SunshineMagic wrote:This is soooo dumb if you would be attending campbell at zero cost with zero debt and want to stay in Raleigh/triangle area for good then go to campbell over commuting an hour to class at UNC where you would still be looking at 90k-100k dollars in debt for instate tuition.... Would you rather come out of school with a small mortgage or come out owing nothing? Yes you might not get a job... but you could also not get a job out of UNC and have a 100k in debt....

How on earth is living with her husband near Raleigh and paying in-state tuition (which, if you include books is something close to $40k max over all 3 years) going to put her $90k in debt? Additionally, if she can get a FULL scholarship at Campbell, she is $ eligible at Carolina as well, even in state. I got in initially w/out scholarships at UNC -- Campbell awarded me half tuition. I've got to think that means anyone being awarded FULL tuition at Campbell is going to be more competitive for UNC $...

seancris

Postby seancris » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:18 pm

With $0 debt, I'm afraid I'm not seeing the risk here. True, she might not get a legal job at the end of it. But she might, and it's not costing her anything to pursue it. This sounds like a risk-free way to pursue her goals.

skw

Postby skw » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:48 pm

seancris wrote:With $0 debt, I'm afraid I'm not seeing the risk here. True, she might not get a legal job at the end of it. But she might, and it's not costing her anything to pursue it. This sounds like a risk-free way to pursue her goals.

I agree, in the situation most TLSers face, this seems low/no risk. But OP expressly stated she would consider it "wasting her youth" to put in 3 years and come out with no legal job -- particularly since she is already a paralegal. I've heard worse ideas than going to Campbell for free, but the point is she has another perfectly viable option in Carolina (with better legal prospects, which are important to her). I'd suggest she apply to both and see where she comes out with regard to $ to attend versus weighing the "cost" (in terms of life impact) of commuting.

Whichever she chooses, or if she chooses neither, she'll be better off than most posters on TLS who are plunking down hundreds of thousands on the "chance" at big law.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:52 am

OP: Are their any GPA/class rank stipulations on the full scholarship?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”