HLS v $90,000 at UChicago v Levy at UPenn Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which is the best choice?

HLS at sticker
30%
$90,000 at UChicago
27%
Levy at Upenn
43%

Total votes: 83

SlothMonkey

New

HLS v $90,000 at UChicago v Levy at UPenn

Post by SlothMonkey » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:37 pm

Hello All,

I'm a long time lurker on TLS. I was wondering if anyone out there had advice on my admissions choice. I'm in at Harvard but am unlikely to get any need-based aid. I have $90,000 at UChicago and a Levy from Penn. I'm not sure what area of law is right for me yet. I'm not too interested in law and economics. I have background in environmental/health policy and may continue to focus on those areas. I don't really care about law school location: I could see myself working in the New York, DC or Chicago legal markets. Any major urban area really. I want to have good support for clerking opportunities. And I want an intellectually rigorous but social/supportive law school community. Any advice?

Thanks for the help!

chickenalfredo

New

Re: HLS v $90,000 at UChicago v Levy at UPenn

Post by chickenalfredo » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:39 pm

SlothMonkey wrote:Hello All,

I'm a long time lurker on TLS. I was wondering if anyone out there had advice on my admissions choice. I'm in at Harvard but am unlikely to get any need-based aid. I have $90,000 at UChicago and a Levy from Penn. I'm not sure what area of law is right for me yet. I'm not too interested in law and economics. I have background in environmental/health policy and may continue to focus on those areas. I don't really care about law school location: I could see myself working in the New York, DC or Chicago legal markets. Any major urban area really. I want to have good support for clerking opportunities. And I want an intellectually rigorous but social/supportive law school community. Any advice?

Thanks for the help!
UCHICAGO

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:39 pm

Harvard by a mile.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:40 pm

Take the money from Penn.

wiscohopeful

Bronze

Post by wiscohopeful » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:43 pm

HLS...I believe in your ability to make up the $90k discrepancy in scholly money over your lifetime. Go for the school which gives you the best ability to mack on chicks at bars

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

funlaws

New

Post by funlaws » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:44 pm

Lots of debt scares me, so I'm inclined to agree with timbs4339. A free legal education from Penn sounds outstanding.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:44 pm

Visit all three before deciding. You should know whether or not Chicago is for you after visiting. Tough to pass up the money at Penn & Chicago, but no wrong choice if you have no undergraduate debt.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:52 pm

http://www.finaid.org/calculators/loanpayments.phtml

Are you borrowing the Harvard money? Run some numbers on the $150k you're saving at Penn. Do you know what it feels like to owe more than $1700 a month for a decade? Do you think that will constrain your professional decisions? Will your Harvard degree help you sleep at night when you're a second year associate worried about getting laid off from your firm before you pay down your debt?

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:00 pm

What do you want to do after law school? If biglaw, then Harvard is definitely an option. If public interest, then you should strongly consider Chicago and/or Penn to minimize your debt.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:00 pm

Can't go wrong with any of them but I say HLS because of this:
SlothMonkey wrote: I want to have good support for clerking opportunities.
HLS will give you the best chance at clerking (whether or not they are in fact more "supportive" from a career services standpoint). Other than that, I just say visit all of them and see what you think; if you really love Penn or Chicago more than HLS there's nothing wrong with taking the money.

lsatcrazy

Bronze

Post by lsatcrazy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:08 pm

SlothMonkey wrote:Hello All,

Thanks for the help!
All of the above bolded point to Harvard (Strong in all disciplines, National reach, Clerkship chances)

ETA: also NO GRADES!

tennisking88

Silver

Post by tennisking88 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:09 pm

Penn.

SlothMonkey

New

Post by SlothMonkey » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:25 pm

Thanks everyone! Those are all really good points. I'll be visiting all three this upcoming week and will keep all of this in mind.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:33 pm

I'd take a full ride to a top 10 school any day.

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:17 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:NO GRADES!
By a mile.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:58 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
By a mile.
This is the worst possible basis for making this decision.

Flash

Bronze

Post by Flash » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:58 pm

Levy.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lsatcrazy

Bronze

Post by lsatcrazy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:02 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:
By a mile.
0Ls will be 0Ls...I get why it's not a overarching factor, but "the worst"? Really?

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:03 pm

Early April might be a good time to ask Chicago for more money since April 2 is the deadline for the first two waves of Ruby recipients to commit.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:10 pm

For me it would only be between Harvard and Chicago. Don't get me wrong Penn is great, buy in comparison to the other two it would place 3rd imo.

90k from Chicago would have you graduating with how much debt? Close to nothing.

I think it comes down to little debt at C or better job oppoirtunities at H

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:13 pm

SlothMonkey wrote:I could see myself working in the New York, DC or Chicago legal markets. Any major urban area really. I want to have good support for clerking opportunities. And I want an intellectually rigorous but social/supportive law school community.
Unless you are from Chicago, going to Harvard or Penn will come close to shutting you out of work in the city. NYC is easy to get to from all 3 and your opportunities at Penn in NY aren't much worse than those at Harvard. The only area where Harvard has a noticeable advantage is clerkships, but you will still have to do well.

As far as intellectual rigor, I think all 3 will offer plenty. Social/supportive is probably more of a judgment call about what kind of law school community you want. Harvard is huge, but there are plenty of subgroups you can align yourself with. Chicago is small, definitely intellectual, but not known for its social scene. Penn is a bit bigger than Chicago and probably has more social scene without the worries of feeling lost in the crowd that you would get at Harvard.

I'd personally take Penn in your shoes. The best reasons for choosing Harvard would be if you had a substantial interest in academia or if the money just wasn't a factor (if you get no finaid from H, will parents pay for law school?)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:15 pm

Br3v wrote:For me it would only be between Harvard and Chicago. Don't get me wrong Penn is great, buy in comparison to the other two it would place 3rd imo.

90k from Chicago would have you graduating with how much debt? Close to nothing.

Er, the COA at Chicago is north of $60k, so when you factor in interest and so on, he'd be graduating with about 100k in debt. If the Levy at Penn covers cost of living (does it?), the question becomes: is the jump from Penn to UChicago worth $100k (along with the extra interest during repayment). That's a tough question for someone who doesn't care about the geography.

OP, have you heard whether you'll be getting any need-based aid from Harvard?

And LOL at "going to Harvard will shut you out of work in Chicago." It won't. Penn doesn't translate here very well, though.

Edit: If the Levy doesn't cover cost of living, knock Penn out of your calculus IMO.
Last edited by ToTransferOrNot on Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:18 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
Br3v wrote:For me it would only be between Harvard and Chicago. Don't get me wrong Penn is great, buy in comparison to the other two it would place 3rd imo.

Er, the COA at Chicago is north of $60k, so when you factor in interest and so on, he'd be graduating with about 100k in debt. If the Levy at Penn covers cost of living (does it?), the question becomes: is the jump from Penn to UChicago worth $100k (along with the extra interest during repayment). That's a tough question for someone who doesn't care about the geography.

OP, have you heard whether you'll be getting any need-based aid from Harvard?

And LOL at "going to Harvard will shut you out of work in Chicago." It won't. Penn doesn't translate here very well, though.
2nd the H shuting you out of anywhere, let alone Chicago. But I didn't realize such a high coa at chi.

What I do know is that I would love to be in OPs position. What are your numbers?

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:22 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:
By a mile.
0Ls will be 0Ls...I get why it's not a overarching factor, but "the worst"? Really?
I'm sure there are worse reasons but I can't think of any plausible ones. Even at Harvard, getting H's matters.

PMan99

Bronze

Post by PMan99 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:59 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
lsatcrazy wrote: 0Ls will be 0Ls...I get why it's not a overarching factor, but "the worst"? Really?
I'm sure there are worse reasons but I can't think of any plausible ones. Even at Harvard, getting H's matters.
For generic NYC biglaw straight P's will do.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”