Emory, UGA, Georgia State, or Mercer....

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
vbc515

Emory, UGA, Georgia State, or Mercer....

Postby vbc515 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:50 am

Hey all,

I've finally received all my scholarship offers and it's time to make a decision.

Basically, I can attend Emory or UGA for around the same price. (I currently live in ATL and don't have to pay rent here, but I would have to get an apartment in Athens.) Emory acutally ends up being around $70k and UGA $68k, but there's obviously a convenience cost of moving I have to consider. Georgia State ends up being around $35k, or half of both of those. I got a full ride at Mercer but would have to pay for an apartment... so Mercer ends up being a little less than that, not by much.

I want to practice Biglaw in Atlanta in the years after I graduate...I've worked at both Alston & Bird as well as McKenna, Long, & Aldridge, both ATL headquartered firms, and from my experience, hiring potential between Emory/UGA is pretty negligible. They tend to take out of the top 5-10% of GSU, and top 1 or 2 out of 150 grads at Mercer.

Thoughts? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

bdole2

Re: Emory, UGA, Georgia State, or Mercer....

Postby bdole2 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:23 pm

If i were you I would eliminate Georgia state and Mercer from consideration.

Visit both Emory and UGA and decide which one you like more and base your decision off that.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:25 pm

Eliminate Mercer from your list.

T00L

Postby T00L » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:27 pm

bdole2 wrote:If i were you I would eliminate Georgia state and Mercer from consideration.

Visit both Emory and UGA and decide which one you like more and base your decision off that.

Yes.

I would tell you to go to UGA if you didn't already live in atlanta. The COL in athens, as im sure you know, is significantly lower.

vbc515

Postby vbc515 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:34 pm

T00L wrote:
bdole2 wrote:If i were you I would eliminate Georgia state and Mercer from consideration.

Yes.

I would tell you to go to UGA if you didn't already live in atlanta. The COL in athens, as im sure you know, is significantly lower.

Yes, this is something I've definitely taken into consideration. I also really like Athens - quite different from ATL, but it's a quaint place. :) I'm originally from NYC and went to UG in DC so even the difference in COL in Atlanta is enough to make my head spin!

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:36 pm

Because you are from NYC & since Emory is the same cost as Georgia, Emory may be the best option for you if you ever consider returning to NYC.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:37 pm

Do these totals include COL? If so, I'd go to Emory.

vbc515

Postby vbc515 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:47 pm

romothesavior wrote:Do these totals include COL? If so, I'd go to Emory.

Well Emory's figure is just the tuition, and UGA is tuition + rent. I live for free in Atlanta. None of these figures include transportation, bills, etc...

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:17 pm

vbc515 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Do these totals include COL? If so, I'd go to Emory.

Well Emory's figure is just the tuition, and UGA is tuition + rent. I live for free in Atlanta. None of these figures include transportation, bills, etc...

Okay, so ~70k is the estimate for total COA for both schools. Those are both reasonable prices. I think Emory is a slightly better option, but both are solid at that price.

nmcdgt

Postby nmcdgt » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:44 pm

At the same price, I would take Emory. However, UGA is still a great choice and you can't really go wrong, especially with a (relatively) low cost of attendance to both.

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:56 pm

nmcdgt wrote:At the same price, I would take Emory. However, UGA is still a great choice and you can't really go wrong, especially with a (relatively) low cost of attendance to both.

A little late there...

nmcdgt

Postby nmcdgt » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:19 pm

Lol, totally missed the dates on the thread. Oh well, better late than never.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”