Do the way schools handle admissions affect your decision?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Marie34
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:28 pm

Do the way schools handle admissions affect your decision?

Postby Marie34 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:36 am

So after still reading "application complete" at an unnamed school since BEGINNING of October, and then after being ignored/recieving one word generic responses from admissions office, I'm to the point of withdrawing even if given acceptance solely because the way this whole thing is handled. I understand admissions offices are bombarded, and I have been more than patient, but come on! If you're not even going to put my application into review even after 5 months (when my numbers are above the 50% for LSAT and GPA), then at least give me the decency of sending me a short polite email when I inquire on whether there's a hold up on my application.

Anyone else taking the admissions committee's behavior into their final decision? Because as I'm writing this the angrier I'm getting and my withdraw email is in process...

The Duck
Posts: 481
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:14 am

Re: Do the way schools handle admissions affect your decision?

Postby The Duck » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:38 am

.
Last edited by The Duck on Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 6 times in total.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Do the way schools handle admissions affect your decision?

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:39 am

No, because I'm not 12 years old, nor am I so narcissistic that I take every little thing that doesn't go exactly my way in this universe as a personal affront.

nkp007
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:48 pm

Re: Do the way schools handle admissions affect your decision?

Postby nkp007 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:41 am

Marie34 wrote:So after still reading "application complete" at an unnamed school since BEGINNING of October, and then after being ignored/recieving one word generic responses from admissions office, I'm to the point of withdrawing even if given acceptance solely because the way this whole thing is handled. I understand admissions offices are bombarded, and I have been more than patient, but come on! If you're not even going to put my application into review even after 5 months (when my numbers are above the 50% for LSAT and GPA), then at least give me the decency of sending me a short polite email when I inquire on whether there's a hold up on my application.

Anyone else taking the admissions committee's behavior into their final decision? Because as I'm writing this the angrier I'm getting and my withdraw email is in process...


I'm surprised at how poorly some law schools are treating applicants.

Maybe spring break is running long this year.
Maybe they don't give an eff.
Maybe it's chaos behind closed doors as applicant numbers plummet.

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Do the way schools handle admissions affect your decision?

Postby tennisking88 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:43 am

rinkrat19 wrote:No, because I'm not 12 years old, nor am I so narcissistic that I take every little thing that doesn't go exactly my way in this universe as a personal affront.

nkp007
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:48 pm

Re: Do the way schools handle admissions affect your decision?

Postby nkp007 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:53 am

rinkrat19 wrote:No, because I'm not 12 years old, nor am I so narcissistic that I take every little thing that doesn't go exactly my way in this universe as a personal affront.


Straw man.

User avatar
puppylaw
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:53 pm

Re: Do the way schools handle admissions affect your decision?

Postby puppylaw » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:54 am

Rightly or wrongly, admissions offices definitely reflect something about law schools.

Real Madrid
Posts: 835
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 12:21 am

Re: Do the way schools handle admissions affect your decision?

Postby Real Madrid » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:56 am

rinkrat19 wrote:No, because I'm not 12 years old, nor am I so narcissistic that I take every little thing that doesn't go exactly my way in this universe as a personal affront.


So instead I take it that you let people walk all over you in real life?

In response to the OP, I'm not sure which school you're talking about, but I will say that one school I was accepted at has been unhelpful and downright rude in the little communication I've had with them. I agree with the above poster who said it reflects very poorly on the school.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15487
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Do the way schools handle admissions affect your decision?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:00 pm

I'm not 12, but I am a narcissist. So yes. Although secretly I think I was looking for reasons not to want this school up front.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Do the way schools handle admissions affect your decision?

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:00 pm

Real Madrid wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:No, because I'm not 12 years old, nor am I so narcissistic that I take every little thing that doesn't go exactly my way in this universe as a personal affront.


So instead I take it that you let people walk all over you in real life?
Realizing that busy people performing an impersonal administrative task are not personally insulting me by taking a long time to get through a list =/= being a pushover

Real Madrid
Posts: 835
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 12:21 am

Re: Do the way schools handle admissions affect your decision?

Postby Real Madrid » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:05 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Real Madrid wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:No, because I'm not 12 years old, nor am I so narcissistic that I take every little thing that doesn't go exactly my way in this universe as a personal affront.


So instead I take it that you let people walk all over you in real life?
Realizing that busy people performing an impersonal administrative task are not personally insulting me by taking a long time to get through a list =/= being a pushover


Just as not permitting people to continuously treat you rudely =/= being a 12-year-old or a narcissist.

Law schools are businesses. If other businesses treated you rudely, I hope you would have enough dignity to reconsider why you were doing business with them in the first place. But maybe you don't.

nkp007
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:48 pm

Re: Do the way schools handle admissions affect your decision?

Postby nkp007 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:08 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Real Madrid wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:No, because I'm not 12 years old, nor am I so narcissistic that I take every little thing that doesn't go exactly my way in this universe as a personal affront.


So instead I take it that you let people walk all over you in real life?
Realizing that busy people performing an impersonal administrative task are not personally insulting me by taking a long time to get through a list =/= being a pushover


After five months, I think we're in pushover territory.

If I was an adcom and I kept someone in the complete dark for 5+ months and got no follow-up from them, I probably wouldn't want them at my school. I want people with spine who will stick up for themselves.

User avatar
jrthor10
Posts: 364
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:33 am

Re: Do the way schools handle admissions affect your decision?

Postby jrthor10 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:18 pm

I think it is perfectly fine to judge schools based on their admissions offices. One school I was interested in at the beginning of the cycle seems in complete chaos because they have been moving students to under review many times only after a student has called and harassed them.

A school's admissions office, to me, is at least somewhat on a reflection on the school as a whole. If the admissions office is like this, I am left wondering, how are they going to help me get a job?

I think applicants need to be patient in waiting for decisions, but if a school says 8-12 weeks, and an applicant has been waiting 3-4+ months (as some on here have) I think an e-mail explaining the rationale for the long wait is good etiquette.

User avatar
T00L
Posts: 600
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:35 pm

Re: Do the way schools handle admissions affect your decision?

Postby T00L » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:24 pm

IMO, it is impossible for it to not have an impact, no matter how small, on the general feeling you have for the school as a whole.

Personally, I count it like a tie breaker... all other things being equal. However, no impression can be as good as the one an applicant can gain through a visit.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Do the way schools handle admissions affect your decision?

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:43 pm

I can understand it having an impact psychologically, but try not to let it do so. If X school is the best school for you, you shouldn't turn it down out of spite or something just because admissions was slow with your app. I know this is a stressful time for 0Ls, but try to keep a cool head and analyze things rationally. You'll likely never deal with admissions again.

Marie34
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:28 pm

Re: Do the way schools handle admissions affect your decision?

Postby Marie34 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:11 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:No, because I'm not 12 years old, nor am I so narcissistic that I take every little thing that doesn't go exactly my way in this universe as a personal affront.


If I had it exactly my way I would've gotten in the day after I applied with full scholarship + stipend. Am I asking for a scholarship? No. Am I asking to even get accepted? No. I'm asking for them to have the decency to at least give me some idea on whats going on with my application that I worked very hard to get in as early as possible as to not run into this problem.

Applicants put a lot of time into putting together their application, I think its only fair we are responded with equal efficiency and respect. While they may be holding the balance on the scale now as we ask for their acceptance, tables are quickly turned when we choose where to send our money. I have had other admissions offices who have gone far and beyond what is expected to help me in any way needed. If they can do it, I don't see why any other admission office in the country can't do the same. If not, at least treat their applicants with a little bit of dignity.

User avatar
StarLightSpectre
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: Do the way schools handle admissions affect your decision?

Postby StarLightSpectre » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:14 pm

I didn't hear anything from a school in 5 months. I didn't even get a status checker. Then they accepted me and gave me 115K in a two week window. Go figure.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Do the way schools handle admissions affect your decision?

Postby spleenworship » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:20 pm

I think I would take it into account. But there are many factors. Don't let it get to you too much.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Do the way schools handle admissions affect your decision?

Postby dingbat » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:31 pm

I think this only matters at equivalent schools, such as Columbia/NYU or BC/BU
Yale could treat me like utter garbage, but I'd still go there in a heartbeat (I got rejected - as expected)

User avatar
splitbrain
Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: Do the way schools handle admissions affect your decision?

Postby splitbrain » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:01 pm

Just to add a positive example, the school I am choosing had a 3 week turnaround time and they've been great to deal with ever since; so, yeah, that has had a positive impact on my impression. I aleady knew I liked them for objective reasons, and now I get to add subjective reasons on top of that. Life is good.

To the OP: it sounds like you're putting a lot of stock into this one school. Is it your last hope of a reach school? Why is it getting to you so much? Have you contacted their office to express a continued interest and see if they would be willing to provide any status updates? Would it really make a tangible difference if they let you know one or two months ago or is this just an emotional response that would be mitigated by patience?

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Do the way schools handle admissions affect your decision?

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:08 pm

StarLightSpectre wrote:I didn't hear anything from a school in 5 months. I didn't even get a status checker. Then they accepted me and gave me 115K in a two week window. Go figure.
Good thing you didn't get into a snit over them taking too long and withdraw! :P

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Do the way schools handle admissions affect your decision?

Postby JustE » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:11 pm

tl;dr.

Short answer: Not really, but I did refuse to apply to GULC this year because of the way they handled their waitlist last year.

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Do the way schools handle admissions affect your decision?

Postby JoeMo » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:42 pm

I don't know if you might be talking about the Blue complete. But the truth of the matter is this, when you started out your application cycle you should've been aware that the majority of the answers (not just at the school you're talking about but at most schools) go out now-April. Even then, a lot of those decisions result in Waitlists and Rejections. You should have been mentally prepared for that.

On the other hand, the issue that you mention with them treating you unkindly when you try to talk to them would upset me. Presumptively, you paid an application fee, at the very least a report fee and are willing to pay exorbitant amounts of money to go there so they should at least be nicer in their responses to you.

If you're e-mailing them every day I can see where they'd get frustrated. Also, every encounter I've had to have (even before being admitted) with the school of the blue completes has been nothing but pleasant which is why it would surprise me a great deal if that were the school you were talking about.

Good luck and try to not let this crazy ride get to you but at the end of the day unless you get a scholarship from them you're probably going to have a bitter taste in your mouth and should probably not go.

User avatar
futurejdgirl
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 9:30 pm

Re: Do the way schools handle admissions affect your decision?

Postby futurejdgirl » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:55 pm

I emailed the Dean of a Law school recently for scholarship negotiation purposes and even detailed personal circumstances that are very hard to talk about. I mean, it was my choice to mention them and all but when I got a cold response from him it really turned me off. I can understand feeling pushed over and neglected. But, on the bright side - I got a response two days later from someone ELSE in Financial Aid who was a lot more accommodating and helpful. Apparently the Dean had forwarded my email to her. So I say, give them the benefit of the doubt and visit and talk to multiple admissions people and high up staff. Everyone is different and you never know what kind of day they could be having or who you're talking too and what they're dealing with. Give them a real chance and visit, I think you'll get more of a sense of how they treat their students when you're there in person.

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Do the way schools handle admissions affect your decision?

Postby JoeMo » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:40 pm

futurejdgirl wrote:I emailed the Dean of a Law school recently for scholarship negotiation purposes and even detailed personal circumstances that are very hard to talk about. I mean, it was my choice to mention them and all but when I got a cold response from him it really turned me off. I can understand feeling pushed over and neglected. But, on the bright side - I got a response two days later from someone ELSE in Financial Aid who was a lot more accommodating and helpful. Apparently the Dean had forwarded my email to her. So I say, give them the benefit of the doubt and visit and talk to multiple admissions people and high up staff. Everyone is different and you never know what kind of day they could be having or who you're talking too and what they're dealing with. Give them a real chance and visit, I think you'll get more of a sense of how they treat their students when you're there in person.


Wow... well, I'm glad it worked out for you.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: echonov and 4 guests