If you are deciding between a few TT-TTTT schools...

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
spleenworship

Re: If you are deciding between a few TT-TTTT schools...

Postby spleenworship » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:07 pm

emarxnj wrote:
spleenworship wrote:I do honestly believe, despite the TLS advice, that not anyone can make above 170. I think everyone can get a 160. But above that, I really question.

I agree, but I also think that if you can't score high enough to get into a good school (considering job prospects vs debt), people need to realize sometimes that law school just might not be in the cards for them. Going to a shithole TTTT can realistically ruin your life.

True enough. If you get a 155-166 and you really want law school my recommendation is the strong regional in your state with a scholarship (some states don't have these, but most do). Otherwise, you are right, there are lots of other professions in the world.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:11 pm

spleenworship wrote:
emarxnj wrote:
spleenworship wrote:I do honestly believe, despite the TLS advice, that not anyone can make above 170. I think everyone can get a 160. But above that, I really question.

I agree, but I also think that if you can't score high enough to get into a good school (considering job prospects vs debt), people need to realize sometimes that law school just might not be in the cards for them. Going to a shithole TTTT can realistically ruin your life.

True enough. If you get a 155-166 and you really want law school my recommendation is the strong regional in your state with a scholarship (some states don't have these, but most do). Otherwise, you are right, there are lots of other professions in the world.

Agreed. I know personally if I don't break 170 on this retake, I will be taking some time to consider my options. I guess the whole idea that "law school is a golden ticket" is still prevalent, despite the fact the # of lawyers greatly outweighs the # of jobs, thanks in part to all these shitty degree mills.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:24 pm

I started out with a sub-145 first practice test score and ended up with a 170+. It can be done.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:29 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:I started out with a sub-145 first practice test score and ended up with a 170+. It can be done.

Never said it wasn't. I guess I'm trying to say if you aren't going to retake, don't expect any good news about taking sticker at some TTT school, at least not in this forum.

Oh, and nice improvement!

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:48 pm

spleenworship wrote:
emarxnj wrote:

I scored between 155-166 and ended up passing up a full scholarship at a strong regional school to attend a T14 so I don't think those are necessarily the magic numbers (although I do have a pretty good GPA and that certainly helped) but for people with below 170 LSAT's they should still apply see how their cycle would play out and if they're not happy with the result, reapply the following year after a retake.

flem

Postby flem » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:52 pm

emarxnj wrote:

The prelaw adviser at my undergrad was this crusty old surly asshole who would tell people with bad LSAT scores that law school wasn't right for them. They were always insulted. I thought he was a douchebag.

Turns out he was right.

wfudeacons2005

Postby wfudeacons2005 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:04 pm

I feel like the consensus on here is that some second tier state schools are better than some non-T14 private tier ones (ex. Emory, American) IF the applicant has in-state tuition and is cool with staying in that state. Beyond that, however, I get your point.
Last edited by wfudeacons2005 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TLSwag

Postby TLSwag » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:07 pm

JoeMo wrote:This thread should be stickied.

This

futurejdgirl

Postby futurejdgirl » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:42 pm

wfudeacons2005 wrote:I feel like the consensus on here is that some second tier state schools are better than some non-T14 private tier ones (ex. Emory, American) IF the applicant has in-state tuition and is cool with staying in that state. Beyond that, however, I get your point.

Since when do private schools offer in-state tuition? Am I missing something? :shock:

Jeremyl

Postby Jeremyl » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:50 pm

Person paying sticker at TTTT= stupid

Person paying sticker at t14= identity/ego issues

Getting huge scholarship at a very strong regional in the state you want to live in is the way to go

SunshineMagic

Postby SunshineMagic » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:51 pm

I'm going to a TTT should I cut my wrist now?

MTBike

Postby MTBike » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:54 pm

SunshineMagic wrote:I'm going to a TTT should I cut my wrist now?

Lol no... depending on your situation. Like, for example, if you are from Montana then there is no shame in going to U of Montana for law school if you want to practice in the state.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:59 pm

Jeremyl wrote:Person paying sticker at TTTT= stupid

Getting huge scholarship at a very strong regional in the state you want to live in is the way to go

Depends on how risk averse you are. Or yeah, everyone who goes to a T-14 school has an ego problem, that could be right too.

wfudeacons2005

Postby wfudeacons2005 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:11 pm

futurejdgirl wrote:
wfudeacons2005 wrote:I feel like the consensus on here is that some second tier state schools are better than some non-T14 private tier ones (ex. Emory, American) IF the applicant has in-state tuition and is cool with staying in that state. Beyond that, however, I get your point.

Since when do private schools offer in-state tuition? Am I missing something? :shock:

No, I am saying second tier public schools with in-state tuition over first tier private schools not in the T14 (or named BC, BU, Vandy) without huge scholarships. If I didn't give a lick where I would live/practice and my in-state school was a tier two like Temple, Rutgers, UConn...I would take those all day over paying more for places like American, Emory, W&L.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:54 pm

Jeremyl wrote:Person paying sticker at TTTT= stupid

This is credited, says the person that's paying sticker to go to a T14. However, I'd be willing to bet that a good percentage of law students everywhere fall into the identity/ego issues category. Eh, a good percentage of all people everywhere do.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:01 pm

emarxnj wrote:
Br3v wrote:Also, every TTT has a great specialty program (ex: #2 ranked reptile protection law) and this program will not make a difference in you getting a job or not

I saw a post the other day where someone was taking into consideration in their decision the fact DePaul is tied with NYU in some speciality ranking...

But but... My school is SECOND to NYU in tax law!

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:15 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
emarxnj wrote:
Br3v wrote:Also, every TTT has a great specialty program (ex: #2 ranked reptile protection law) and this program will not make a difference in you getting a job or not

I saw a post the other day where someone was taking into consideration in their decision the fact DePaul is tied with NYU in some speciality ranking...

But but... My school is SECOND to NYU in tax law!

Mine barely made the ranks.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”