If you are deciding between a few TT-TTTT schools...

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Easy-E

If you are deciding between a few TT-TTTT schools...

Postby Easy-E » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:55 am

...everyone is going to tell you to retake, regardless of whether you try and pre-exclude that from responses. It might not be the answer you want to hear, but if you don't care what others have to say, and just want to affirm your decision, I'd recommend writing yourself a letter instead or something.

/rant

vpintz

Re: If you are deciding between a few TT-TTTT schools...

Postby vpintz » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:56 am

bless this post.

t14fanboy

Postby t14fanboy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:58 am

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:34 am

If you're unable or unwilling to retake - go to the school in a region where you have connections and the lowest cost of attendance.
Beware stipulations on your scholly - figure they probably section stack as well.

If you've chosen a school that is the only one feeding into the market you wish to practice in (eg North Dakota), then good luck.

Otherwise, retake. Don't go to a TTT where you will be competing for jobs with T1 schools, you'll probably lose
Last edited by dingbat on Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:35 am

This thread should be stickied.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:42 am

Also, every TTT has a great specialty program (ex: #2 ranked reptile protection law) and this program will not make a difference in you getting a job or not

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:44 am

Br3v wrote:Also, every TTT has a great specialty program (ex: #2 ranked reptile protection law) and this program will not make a difference in you getting a job or not

But space law is so relevant right now! :lol:

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:48 am

JoeMo wrote:This thread should be stickied.

+1

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:01 am

vpintz wrote:
Br3v wrote:Also, every TTT has a great specialty program (ex: #2 ranked reptile protection law) and this program will not make a difference in you getting a job or not

I guess they will get the last laugh when we are all living on the final frontier

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:06 am

I saw a post the other day where someone was taking into consideration in their decision the fact DePaul is tied with NYU in some speciality ranking...

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:56 am

Wow, the #2 reptile protection law? But do they have any programs for international reptile law?

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:58 am

Br3v wrote:
vpintz wrote:

I guess they will get the last laugh when we are all living on the final frontier

The first act of business would be sexual decency laws, I'm sure. Gotta control those Kirk-types. /shot

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:09 am

WHERE is this and WHERE is number ONE??????

--ImageRemoved--

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:39 pm

Depends on the debt. A regional school in an unsaturated market where you want to practice with low to no debt might still be a good option. Even with stips, if you are prepared to drop out upon losing your scholarship why not take a shot? The problem for law schools is that they can't operate if the only people willing to go there are demanding a free year of education to do it.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:45 pm

envisciguy wrote:

Wow, the #2 reptile protection law? But do they have any programs for international reptile law?

I believe Nova and Barry are tied for first

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:52 pm

timbs4339 wrote:Depends on the debt. A regional school in an unsaturated market where you want to practice with low to no debt might still be a good option. Even with stips, if you are prepared to drop out upon losing your scholarship why not take a shot? The problem for law schools is that they can't operate if the only people willing to go there are demanding a free year of education to do it.

Well but there will always be people willing to pay. But we're hoping anyone that finds TLS reconsiders.

This is coming from someone that a year ago (as I was preparing for my app cycle) would've gone just about anywhere that would have me.

westinghouse60

Postby westinghouse60 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:26 pm

vpintz wrote:

Just wait...

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:47 pm

JoeMo wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:Depends on the debt. A regional school in an unsaturated market where you want to practice with low to no debt might still be a good option. Even with stips, if you are prepared to drop out upon losing your scholarship why not take a shot? The problem for law schools is that they can't operate if the only people willing to go there are demanding a free year of education to do it.

Well but there will always be people willing to pay. But we're hoping anyone that finds TLS reconsiders.

This is coming from someone that a year ago (as I was preparing for my app cycle) would've gone just about anywhere that would have me.

Glad to hear it. It's all about what the accepted wisdom is. The accepted wisdom on TLS severely limits the people who can attend an expensive TTT at sticker to rich kids (so rich your parents can burn 200K and have it not impact their lives at all), people on the GI Bill or other ex-military support, whose employers are paying, or people with successful careers who want to go to law school for the hell of it. Obviously, even the most TTT of the law schools would still try to maintain the idea that their school is worth its sticker price.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:54 pm

slu gets mad love for #1 healthcare law

MTal

Postby MTal » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:57 pm

What about TTTTT schools? At the rate law schools are opening, we 5-6 tiers soon.

futurejdgirl

Postby futurejdgirl » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:00 pm

What about thoughts on lower T-1 schools? Might as well be T-2?

Campagnolo

Postby Campagnolo » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:00 pm

vpintz wrote:But space law is so relevant right now! :lol:

Campagnolo, Spacesquire

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:10 pm

MTal wrote:What about TTTTT schools? At the rate law schools are opening, we 5-6 tiers soon.

It sorta exists with state accredited schools (like CA); further supported by their bar passage rates...

futurejdgirl wrote:What about thoughts on lower T-1 schools? Might as well be T-2?

They just start to become regional, basically.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:18 pm

I do honestly believe, despite the TLS advice, that not anyone can make above 170. I think everyone can get a 160. But above that, I really question.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:43 pm

spleenworship wrote:I do honestly believe, despite the TLS advice, that not anyone can make above 170. I think everyone can get a 160. But above that, I really question.

I agree, but I also think that if you can't score high enough to get into a good school (considering job prospects vs debt), people need to realize sometimes that law school just might not be in the cards for them. Going to a shithole TTTT can realistically ruin your life.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”