Choosing mostly between UT and Northwestern?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rayiner

Re: Choosing mostly between UT and Northwestern?

Postby rayiner » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:00 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I wouldn't base any decision on law school based on clerking (unless it was a tie breaker) for several reasons. You need good grades even from Harvard (obviously you need much better from NW), and it's really only something you do for a year or two. Clerking as the goal doesn't really make sense. It's really a means to an end.

But since the guy wants public service the right call is Harvard. They have an amazing loan forgiveness program and will place better than NW.

In 2010, HLS had 96 federal clerks out of 589 grads (16%). That means that clerkships are probably attainable from the top third or so. That makes it a realistic thing to gun for if you want jobs like eventually working in the judiciary.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:01 pm

Dany wrote:I know you probably really want to go now, especially since finding a job for a year would suck, but you can get up to $100,000 more in scholarship money from better schools than UT by waiting a year. If you really like the idea of NU, you could also ED there next year if they do the early decision full ride deal again. Unless either UT or NU bumps your scholarship to a full ride or damn close to it, you'd be making a serious mistake by enrolling this fall.

OP already has a full ride to NU. Though I'm unsure whether OP should take that or reapply for HYS.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:10 pm

bk1 wrote:
Dany wrote:I know you probably really want to go now, especially since finding a job for a year would suck, but you can get up to $100,000 more in scholarship money from better schools than UT by waiting a year. If you really like the idea of NU, you could also ED there next year if they do the early decision full ride deal again. Unless either UT or NU bumps your scholarship to a full ride or damn close to it, you'd be making a serious mistake by enrolling this fall.

OP already has a full ride to NU. Though I'm unsure whether OP should take that or reapply for HYS.

oh gosh, I can't even read. Cannot brain today, haz the dumb, etc.

I would probably take the full ride this year though.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:13 pm

Dany wrote:
bk1 wrote:

oh gosh, I can't even read. Cannot brain today, haz the dumb, etc.

I would probably take the full ride this year though.

If OP is into public interest, why does the full-ride matter? It's just NU+LRAP versus Harvard+LRAP.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:21 pm

Because Harvard isn't guaranteed, OP could change her mind about what she wants to do, and I still think debt minimization is important even with LRAP/LIPP if you decide to leave the program after a while (though a cursory glance over LIPP looks like that won't be a huge issue except for remaining debt.) I dunno though, I'm pretty debt-averse, so my opinion is just my opinion. I don't think it's a mistake to shoot for H next year, I would just probably take the full ride.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:28 pm

I think one of HYS is almost guaranteed. For this cycle, 171+/3.9+ is a sea of green on LSN. Remember law school apps are down enormously nation-wide. Even Harvard needs people like OP to prop up their GPA/LSAT medians when there are 550 seats to fill.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:48 pm

krlf wrote:Northwestern has offered me $150K. I also got accepted to Penn on Wednesday.

Congrats! That's certainly big news.

But I would still decline admission and apply to the top schools early next year, especially given your career interests. You obviously have strong numbers, and it sounds like your life and work experience will be a plus factor as well. I would be stunned if you didn't get into at least one of YSH. You'll almost certainly have great scholarship offers from other top-10 schools as well.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:07 pm

Based on what OP is posting about her background, I don't think Yale/Stanford, while unpredictable, might be more likely than for the average applicant since it sounds like she has pretty significant softs. But the full ride is definitely a temptation.

Personally, I'd reapply and see what happens; especially since OP already has a job. But I don't see a big reason to be debt adverse when you're talking T3 with prestigious goals like clerkships/prestigious PI work.

krlf

Postby krlf » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:44 pm

UT is now at giving me full tuition and fees all three years.
Northwestern is still $150K.
Penn is now $90K.
Will be deciding in the next few days.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:21 pm

Congratulations ! One way to look at your options:

NU with $150,000 this year,

Texas with a full tuition & fees scholarship this year or

Harvard next year.

Harvard awards financial aid, not merit scholarships (although there are some scholarship awards, but they may be from third parties).

OP: Do you have a strong interest or aversion to New York City or Chicago ?

P.S. With 10 years work experience, the older students at Northwestern may appeal more to you than the younger crowd at Texas.

EdgarWinter

Postby EdgarWinter » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:44 pm

Last edited by EdgarWinter on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

krlf

Postby krlf » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:21 pm

Posting about how this story ended...

I also ended up with a Levy scholarship from Penn, and that's where I'm going this fall.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:29 pm

Congrats on the Levy and on your decision. Best of luck!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”