Time to negotiate or not? ND/BC/BU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
TLS_noobie
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:17 pm

Time to negotiate or not? ND/BC/BU

Postby TLS_noobie » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:59 pm

I have been accepted to ND, BC, and BU and ND has offered me money in the form of a merit scholarship and a fellowship. I have not heard about anything pertaining to finances from BC or BU yet. I have received their acceptance packets and their many emails about admitted students days but nothing about financial aid. Does this mean I am being offered sticker price? Or does it just mean they have not gotten their aid stuff out yet? BC has said that they will get financial aid info out by March and so I guess there is still about a week left until that statement is untrue. But as far as BU is concerned, I have yet to hear anything about their progress. Do I negotiate now assuming they have offered me nothing? Or do I hold out until later? Mind you, BU's and BC's deposit deadlines are mid April...quickly approaching...

Thanks!
TLS_noobie

p.s. The ND fellowship is similar to a scholarship, correct? I do not need to repay that, do I?

lawschool?s
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:20 am

Re: Time to negotiate or not? ND/BC/BU

Postby lawschool?s » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:26 pm

I received Notre Dames financial aid thing in the mail the other day and I thought the fellowship was the scholarship? Mine was the same amount so I assumed they were the same thing.

User avatar
Killingly
Posts: 1179
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:17 am

Re: Time to negotiate or not? ND/BC/BU

Postby Killingly » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:43 pm

BC and BU are still releasing scholarships/financial aid. Hold out of a bit.

User avatar
TLS_noobie
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:17 pm

Re: Time to negotiate or not? ND/BC/BU

Postby TLS_noobie » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:22 pm

lawschool?s wrote:I received Notre Dames financial aid thing in the mail the other day and I thought the fellowship was the scholarship? Mine was the same amount so I assumed they were the same thing.


Is this the case? Can this be confirmed by someone else? Mine was also for the same amount so it makes a little more sense now I suppose. So, there are no need-based grants/scholarships offered by ND/law schools in general? Or have I just not qualified for them in ND's case since the only things listed in the financial aid pack were a federal loan and the fellowship?

lawschool?s
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:20 am

Re: Time to negotiate or not? ND/BC/BU

Postby lawschool?s » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:17 am

TLS_noobie wrote:
lawschool?s wrote:I received Notre Dames financial aid thing in the mail the other day and I thought the fellowship was the scholarship? Mine was the same amount so I assumed they were the same thing.


Is this the case? Can this be confirmed by someone else? Mine was also for the same amount so it makes a little more sense now I suppose. So, there are no need-based grants/scholarships offered by ND/law schools in general? Or have I just not qualified for them in ND's case since the only things listed in the financial aid pack were a federal loan and the fellowship?


I am would also like this to be confirmed by someone else. After reading this I was going to call them but they were already closed. If they gave me the scholarship and a fellowship of the same value ND would practically be free for me.

lawschool?s
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:20 am

Re: Time to negotiate or not? ND/BC/BU

Postby lawschool?s » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:49 pm

I called ND and the fellowship is your scholarship.

User avatar
TLS_noobie
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:17 pm

Re: Time to negotiate or not? ND/BC/BU

Postby TLS_noobie » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:38 pm

lawschool?s wrote:I called ND and the fellowship is your scholarship.


Gotcha! Thanks for the update!

marmot8
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:19 am

Re: Time to negotiate or not? ND/BC/BU

Postby marmot8 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:25 pm

Last year BU's scholarship info came with the acceptance, and BC/ND took awhile. Not sure that helps, but figured I'd throw it out there. Good luck.

User avatar
TLS_noobie
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:17 pm

Re: Time to negotiate or not? ND/BC/BU

Postby TLS_noobie » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:56 pm

marmot8 wrote:Last year BU's scholarship info came with the acceptance, and BC/ND took awhile. Not sure that helps, but figured I'd throw it out there. Good luck.


I see, it seems to be a bit different this cycle, for me at least. ND's scholly info came with the acceptance whereas BC/BU have yet to send word on anything financial my way, despite having sent me all their acceptance stuff.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: RoastedSlug and 2 guests