Need Advice.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lawstudent06789
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:58 am

Need Advice.

Postby lawstudent06789 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:35 pm

165/3.51 Fordham WL, Dozo 22k, Brook 32k, STJ full

I want to live/practice in NY. I don't want debt.

My plan is to retake the LSAT in June, hoping to hit high 160s, low 170s. The idea would be to get full ride from Dozo/Brook and/or possibly Fordham.

I don't want to wait another year- is this possible?

Should I deposit on STJ?
If so, and if I get a 170 in June, will the other schools still consider me for this Fall? Will there be any scholarship money left?

Should I be asking schools these questions directly?
Last edited by lawstudent06789 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Need Advice.

Postby bk1 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:37 pm

Is that 1.51 a typo?

snehpets
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Need Advice.

Postby snehpets » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:37 pm

eldeadtone wrote:165/1.51 Fordham WL, Dozo 22k, Brook 32k, STJ full

I want to live/practice in NY. I don't want debt.

My plan is to retake the LSAT in June, hoping to hit high 160s, low 170s. The idea would be to get full ride from Dozo/Brook and/or possibly Fordham.

I don't want to wait another year- is this possible?

Should I deposit on STJ?
If so, and if I get a 170 in June, will the other schools still consider me for this Fall? Will there be any scholarship money left?

Should I be asking schools these questions directly?


How can you have a 1.51?

lawstudent06789
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:58 am

Re: Need Advice.

Postby lawstudent06789 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:38 pm

bummer. yea i meant 3.51

checkster
Posts: 348
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:29 pm

Re: Need Advice.

Postby checkster » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:38 pm

Don't deposit at St. Johns. Absolutely not.

lawstudent06789
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:58 am

Re: Need Advice.

Postby lawstudent06789 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:39 pm

Can't I pull out of the deposit if I do well on the June LSAT?

snehpets
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Need Advice.

Postby snehpets » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:39 pm

Omg no retake. You could be at NYU possibly with a scholarship.

lawstudent06789
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:58 am

Re: Need Advice.

Postby lawstudent06789 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:42 pm

I'm not convinced I want NYU over Fordham for example, if Fordham gave me full. Does anyone know if this is feasible though? If I score higher on the June test, would I still have a chance at going this Fall?

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15503
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Need Advice.

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:43 pm

eldeadtone wrote:I'm not convinced I want NYU over Fordham for example, if Fordham gave me full. Does anyone know if this is feasible though? If I score higher on the June test, would I still have a chance at going this Fall?


Fordham is one of the stingiest schools in the nation when it comes to scholarships. I doubt you'd get more than 45K or so even if you scored in the 170s.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Need Advice.

Postby bk1 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:44 pm

Fordham doesn't typically give out substantial scholarships so I wouldn't count on it there.

You're in kind of a bind, imo. Your 3.5 precludes you from large scholarships to good schools that place in NYC so if you want a large scholarship you have to look at poor schools like Cardozo, BLS, and St. John's. I mean with a higher LSAT you could get a decent scholarship to a T14 (all of them place well in NYC) but you would likely still have significant debt.

lawstudent06789
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:58 am

Re: Need Advice.

Postby lawstudent06789 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:47 pm

Okay. So let's say I would be thrilled with a full scholarship at Cardozo. My question is: Does anyone know if it Cardozo would reconsider my scholarship for this Fall after the June LSAT?

checkster
Posts: 348
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:29 pm

Re: Need Advice.

Postby checkster » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:49 pm

...I think you'd be more thrilled with NYU...

lawstudent06789
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:58 am

Re: Need Advice.

Postby lawstudent06789 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:51 pm

I'm looking to go this Fall. Even if I wanted to go to NYU, since I didn't apply there, I would have to wait until next year. I know that may be my best option... but I'm asking if its possible to go to Dozo, for example, this Fall with a full ride, assuming I nail the June Lsat.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Need Advice.

Postby dingbat » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:53 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
eldeadtone wrote:I'm not convinced I want NYU over Fordham for example, if Fordham gave me full. Does anyone know if this is feasible though? If I score higher on the June test, would I still have a chance at going this Fall?


Fordham is one of the stingiest schools in the nation when it comes to scholarships. I doubt you'd get more than 45K or so even if you scored in the 170s.

Fordham maxes out at $30k this year.
Last year they gave out some $35k schollys
But, they're not splitter friendly, so with that GPA you're unlikely to get more than $10k - if you can get your LSAT at or above 170
On the other hand, no stips

Check the stips for your schollys - that could make thèm a lot less attractive. Unless you've got a guaranteed free ride (and even then...) don't go to any school lower on the totem pole than Dozo or Brooklyn.

lawstudent06789
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:58 am

Re: Need Advice.

Postby lawstudent06789 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:58 pm

I appreciate your thoughts.. but let's pretend that my dream is full-ride at Dozo. My question is, will they reconsider my scholarship for this fall based on my June score? Or is that too late?

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15503
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Need Advice.

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:59 pm

eldeadtone wrote:I appreciate your thoughts.. but let's pretend that my dream is full-ride at Dozo. My question is, will they reconsider my scholarship for this fall based on my June score? Or is that too late?


It's possible. No way to be more definitive than that.

To repeat dingbat's question: Are there any stips on the schollies?

lawstudent06789
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:58 am

Re: Need Advice.

Postby lawstudent06789 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:01 am

Thank you. I guess I should have realized no one on here would really know. But thanks for actually understanding the question.

checkster
Posts: 348
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:29 pm

Re: Need Advice.

Postby checkster » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:02 am

I guess take the test again,and if they don't give you a lot more cash, hold out and apply early to all of them in the Fall.

lawstudent06789
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:58 am

Re: Need Advice.

Postby lawstudent06789 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:02 am

Right now, yes. Stips are: STJ top 40%, Brook top 80%, and honestly I'm not sure about Dozo yet.

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5708
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Need Advice.

Postby Easy-E » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:46 pm

Didn't read anything but OP, but retake. 3.5 is a solid GPA, if you can break the 170s you can open a lot of doors.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Need Advice.

Postby dingbat » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:54 pm

eldeadtone wrote:Right now, yes. Stips are: STJ top 40%, Brook top 80%, and honestly I'm not sure about Dozo yet.

I want to say that Brooklyn is worth the extra money compared to st johns, and that the stips are reasonable.
But that's just rationalizing a bad decision.
The good decision is to retake. If you get a better score, reapply next year, if not, don't go.
(or split the difference: defer a year at whichever TTT you want, do that if you bomb the next LSAT, you can still go there next year. Then go play some Russian roulette and see how you'd luck holds out)




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests