Harvard v. Yale (First World Problems)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Harvard v. Yale (First World Problems)

Harvard
32
32%
Yale
67
68%
 
Total votes: 99

first_world_problems
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:26 pm

Harvard v. Yale (First World Problems)

Postby first_world_problems » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:57 pm

Hi Everyone*,

So this has been addressed a few times, but I feel my case may be slightly different. On top of that, I have more questions about the whole ordeal of choosing between Harvard and Yale.

I aspire to be a legal academic! Before you say go to Yale, let me say this: aspiring is one thing; executing is another. Because I have not started law school nor do I know much about it, I have a feeling I might change my mind--I might in fact want to go corporate and be partner aka models and bottles! Alright, but in all seriousness, the following track is what I am thinking: law school and maybe an LLM at Cambridge (3-4 years) --> clerkship CoA and/or SCOTUS (1-4 years)** --> law firm ie Wachtell (2-4 years) --> academia. Since this is an idealized version, I am sure things can change. Maybe I won't get a clerkship, maybe I won't get into a law firm, maybe....

OK, so there were some TLS and above-the-law articles about Harvard v. Yale. Here are some points: I don't care about the MBA, and I don't care about the international presence. Here is what I care about: chilling out, little competition, fawk grades (I'm past that, and I know neither grades, but Yale has that great 1st semester brilliance and no set curve), fawk location (cambridge is better but whatever), doing research on topics I like, best clerkship placement opportunities, best firm placement opportunities, etc. By the way, if anyone can direct me to statistics on clerkship placements from either Harvard or Yale, I'd really appreciate it.

And here is the caveat: I have some strong connections at Harvard because of some research. I'm a pretty sociable gal, so I don't think I'll have trouble making connections at Yale. In fact, I am willing to keep my connections at Harvard by traveling by train (~2 hours) to continue working with some Harvard faculty, so I guess what I am asking is, "Is it not possible to maintain my relationships at Harvard as a JD student at Yale?" Oh, and son-of-a-gun does Harvard have some great interdisciplinary research and multiple centers...so much so that my interests (as they stand today) are only catered to by Harvard.

Strategically, my gut feeling tells me that Yale is the best option. I think I just really wants numbers (and advice!) at this point. What is the placement for clerkships at Yale v. Harvard? Will Wachtell want a Yalie more than a Harvard grad? How much more will Yale benefit me? Can't I somehow bridge the two bastards and eat most of the pie?

Oh and just for all the people who might post the "First World Problem" memes: I am grateful for this opportunity to choose between two awesome schools, and it pains me to make such difficult decisions.

So just to recap: I aspire to do academia, I have connections at Harvard, I want the best for me long-term, I need strategy, and I am grateful for my first world problems, and I thank all for respondin'.

*This message has been sponsored by first_world_problems, and she is officially dizz-er-unk! Also, I apologize for any spelling/grammatical errors--I blame it on the lick-hor!

**Can someone tell me exactly what the strategy would be to put myself in the best position for a clerkship. I know grades, I know writing sample, but what else? If there are good blogs about it, especially telling one what they need to do to prepare, then please share!

User avatar
chup
Posts: 23647
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:48 pm

Re: Harvard v. Yale (First World Problems)

Postby chup » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:00 pm

Yale.




Also, you're annoying.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Harvard v. Yale (First World Problems)

Postby ph14 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:00 pm

first_world_problems wrote:Hi Everyone*,

So this has been addressed a few times, but I feel my case may be slightly different. On top of that, I have more questions about the whole ordeal of choosing between Harvard and Yale.

I aspire to be a legal academic! Before you say go to Yale, let me say this: aspiring is one thing; executing is another. Because I have not started law school nor do I know much about it, I have a feeling I might change my mind--I might in fact want to go corporate and be partner aka models and bottles! Alright, but in all seriousness, the following track is what I am thinking: law school and maybe an LLM at Cambridge (3-4 years) --> clerkship CoA and/or SCOTUS (1-4 years)** --> law firm ie Wachtell (2-4 years) --> academia. Since this is an idealized version, I am sure things can change. Maybe I won't get a clerkship, maybe I won't get into a law firm, maybe....

OK, so there were some TLS and above-the-law articles about Harvard v. Yale. Here are some points: I don't care about the MBA, and I don't care about the international presence. Here is what I care about: chilling out, little competition, fawk grades (I'm past that, and I know neither grades, but Yale has that great 1st semester brilliance and no set curve), fawk location (cambridge is better but whatever), doing research on topics I like, best clerkship placement opportunities, best firm placement opportunities, etc. By the way, if anyone can direct me to statistics on clerkship placements from either Harvard or Yale, I'd really appreciate it.

And here is the caveat: I have some strong connections at Harvard because of some research. I'm a pretty sociable gal, so I don't think I'll have trouble making connections at Yale. In fact, I am willing to keep my connections at Harvard by traveling by train (~2 hours) to continue working with some Harvard faculty, so I guess what I am asking is, "Is it not possible to maintain my relationships at Harvard as a JD student at Yale?" Oh, and son-of-a-gun does Harvard have some great interdisciplinary research and multiple centers...so much so that my interests (as they stand today) are only catered to by Harvard.

Strategically, my gut feeling tells me that Yale is the best option. I think I just really wants numbers (and advice!) at this point. What is the placement for clerkships at Yale v. Harvard? Will Wachtell want a Yalie more than a Harvard grad? How much more will Yale benefit me? Can't I somehow bridge the two bastards and eat most of the pie?

Oh and just for all the people who might post the "First World Problem" memes: I am grateful for this opportunity to choose between two awesome schools, and it pains me to make such difficult decisions.

So just to recap: I aspire to do academia, I have connections at Harvard, I want the best for me long-term, I need strategy, and I am grateful for my first world problems, and I thank all for respondin'.

*This message has been sponsored by first_world_problems, and she is officially dizz-er-unk! Also, I apologize for any spelling/grammatical errors--I blame it on the lick-hor!

**Can someone tell me exactly what the strategy would be to put myself in the best position for a clerkship. I know grades, I know writing sample, but what else? If there are good blogs about it, especially telling one what they need to do to prepare, then please share!


Definitely Yale. For everything you have mentioned, Yale is unequivocally the better option. Academia = Yale, you can make new connections at Yale and i'm sure you can still maintain your connections at Harvard via email/occasional visits.

To put yourself in the best position for a clerkship get good grades and build relationships with professors.

User avatar
DaftAndDirect
Posts: 381
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:28 pm

Re: Harvard v. Yale (First World Problems)

Postby DaftAndDirect » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:09 pm

I don't think my LSAT score or my GPA are high enough to comment.

But definitely Yale. You seem like a gadabout.

User avatar
splitbrain
Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: Harvard v. Yale (First World Problems)

Postby splitbrain » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:20 pm

first_world_problems wrote:What is the placement for clerkships at Yale v. Harvard?

Awesome LSAT/GPA but can't use Google? Now that's a #firstworldproblem:

http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/careers/ocs/employment-statistics/index.html
Harvard last 3 years: 20.71%, 20.11%, 18.47%

http://www.law.yale.edu/studentlife/cdoprospectivestudentstats.htm
Yale last 3 years: 36.3%, 30.6%, 35.1%

Also:
"In recent years we have seen an increasing number of graduates choose to work for one or two years before clerking. For example, while 36.3% of the Class of 2010 clerked in their first job after law school, to date 46% of the Class has served as a judicial clerk at some point since graduating."

first_world_problems wrote:**Can someone tell me exactly what the strategy would be to put myself in the best position for a clerkship. I know grades, I know writing sample, but what else? If there are good blogs about it, especially telling one what they need to do to prepare, then please share!

Go to Yale.

first_world_problems wrote:*This message has been sponsored by first_world_problems, and she is officially dizz-er-unk! Also, I apologize for any spelling/grammatical errors--I blame it on the lick-hor!

....go to Yale.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Harvard v. Yale (First World Problems)

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:29 pm

But just think how delicious it would be to tell everybody that you turned down Yale.

User avatar
1776
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:49 pm

Re: Harvard v. Yale (First World Problems)

Postby 1776 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:06 pm

Wow.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18421
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Harvard v. Yale (First World Problems)

Postby bk1 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:08 pm

chup wrote:Yale.




Also, you're annoying.

RodneyBoonfield
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:54 pm

Re: Harvard v. Yale (First World Problems)

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:15 pm

If you're hot, you should go to Harvard and pose as Elle Woods. Don't break character. Ever.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Harvard v. Yale (First World Problems)

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:18 pm

bk1 wrote:
chup wrote:Yale.




Also, you're annoying.

checkster
Posts: 348
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:29 pm

Re: Harvard v. Yale (First World Problems)

Postby checkster » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:23 pm

Yale. Enjoy being the boss of these bitter TLS folk.

organic muskrat
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:43 am

Re: Harvard v. Yale (First World Problems)

Postby organic muskrat » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:50 am

Yale - for the additional reason of networking. I'd rather have strong contacts at two top law schools than "only" one.

Oh yeah: as you know, publish or perish. Shoot for >1/year in law school and do >2/year after that.

wolfmalfoy
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:02 pm

Re: Harvard v. Yale (First World Problems)

Postby wolfmalfoy » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:31 pm

------.
Last edited by wolfmalfoy on Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Harvard v. Yale (First World Problems)

Postby Tom Joad » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:41 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
bk1 wrote:
chup wrote:Yale.




Also, you're annoying.

nkp007
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:48 pm

Re: Harvard v. Yale (First World Problems)

Postby nkp007 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:47 pm

first_world_problems wrote:Hi Everyone*,

So this has been addressed a few times, but I feel my case may be slightly different. On top of that, I have more questions about the whole ordeal of choosing between Harvard and Yale.

I aspire to be a legal academic! Before you say go to Yale, let me say this: aspiring is one thing; executing is another. Because I have not started law school nor do I know much about it, I have a feeling I might change my mind--I might in fact want to go corporate and be partner aka models and bottles! Alright, but in all seriousness, the following track is what I am thinking: law school and maybe an LLM at Cambridge (3-4 years) --> clerkship CoA and/or SCOTUS (1-4 years)** --> law firm ie Wachtell (2-4 years) --> academia. Since this is an idealized version, I am sure things can change. Maybe I won't get a clerkship, maybe I won't get into a law firm, maybe....

OK, so there were some TLS and above-the-law articles about Harvard v. Yale. Here are some points: I don't care about the MBA, and I don't care about the international presence. Here is what I care about: chilling out, little competition, fawk grades (I'm past that, and I know neither grades, but Yale has that great 1st semester brilliance and no set curve), fawk location (cambridge is better but whatever), doing research on topics I like, best clerkship placement opportunities, best firm placement opportunities, etc. By the way, if anyone can direct me to statistics on clerkship placements from either Harvard or Yale, I'd really appreciate it.

And here is the caveat: I have some strong connections at Harvard because of some research. I'm a pretty sociable gal, so I don't think I'll have trouble making connections at Yale. In fact, I am willing to keep my connections at Harvard by traveling by train (~2 hours) to continue working with some Harvard faculty, so I guess what I am asking is, "Is it not possible to maintain my relationships at Harvard as a JD student at Yale?" Oh, and son-of-a-gun does Harvard have some great interdisciplinary research and multiple centers...so much so that my interests (as they stand today) are only catered to by Harvard.

Strategically, my gut feeling tells me that Yale is the best option. I think I just really wants numbers (and advice!) at this point. What is the placement for clerkships at Yale v. Harvard? Will Wachtell want a Yalie more than a Harvard grad? How much more will Yale benefit me? Can't I somehow bridge the two bastards and eat most of the pie?

Oh and just for all the people who might post the "First World Problem" memes: I am grateful for this opportunity to choose between two awesome schools, and it pains me to make such difficult decisions.

So just to recap: I aspire to do academia, I have connections at Harvard, I want the best for me long-term, I need strategy, and I am grateful for my first world problems, and I thank all for respondin'.

*This message has been sponsored by first_world_problems, and she is officially dizz-er-unk! Also, I apologize for any spelling/grammatical errors--I blame it on the lick-hor!

**Can someone tell me exactly what the strategy would be to put myself in the best position for a clerkship. I know grades, I know writing sample, but what else? If there are good blogs about it, especially telling one what they need to do to prepare, then please share!


Depends...how pregnant are you?

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Harvard v. Yale (First World Problems)

Postby rad lulz » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:48 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chiwachiwa
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:42 pm

Re: Harvard v. Yale (First World Problems)

Postby chiwachiwa » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:56 pm

organic muskrat wrote:Yale - for the additional reason of networking. I'd rather have strong contacts at two top law schools than "only" one.

Oh yeah: as you know, publish or perish. Shoot for >1/year in law school and do >2/year after that.

What? No. Few tenure-track professors publish 3+ articles per year. As long as you have a Yale JD, 3 solid pubs, and a COA clerkship, you should be alright on the meat market depending on your niche. But enjoy the impending law school tuition bubble burst! You may actually have to teach *gasp* 3 or 4 classes per semester.

Oh, and:
Tom Joad wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
bk1 wrote:
chup wrote:Yale.




Also, you're annoying.
What an obnoxious post.

User avatar
mrtoren
Posts: 733
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: Harvard v. Yale (First World Problems)

Postby mrtoren » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:07 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
bk1 wrote:
chup wrote:Yale.




Also, you're annoying.

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: Harvard v. Yale (First World Problems)

Postby Ti Malice » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:00 pm

Perhaps it's rash of me to make any strong character judgments based on just a solitary message board post, but I find myself strongly hoping you'll choose Harvard.

checkster wrote:Yale. Enjoy being the boss of these bitter TLS folk.


I don't think bitterness has much to do with anything in this thread.

first_world_problems
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:26 pm

Re: Harvard v. Yale (First World Problems)

Postby first_world_problems » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:54 pm

Ti Malice wrote:Perhaps it's rash of me to make any strong character judgments based on just a solitary message board post, but I find myself strongly hoping you'll choose Harvard.

checkster wrote:Yale. Enjoy being the boss of these bitter TLS folk.


I don't think bitterness has much to do with anything in this thread.


Zomg! ROFL-copters! Aren't you the most generous poster! Perhaps I can say the same about you--perhaps you should have taken the Butler at Columbia! Based off of your reply, I find Your character--perhaps!--to be more befitting of a particular subset of NYCers. (And Ti malice stop acting like Yale is full of love--it is a law school like any other and has its gunners and jerks. Better yet save your perfunctory gobbledegook for yourself.)

Regardless of your yahoo comment (and of those who find me "annoying"), I do want to give my thanks for the votes thus far and for the replies that address my questions.

PS--I am not pregnant, but am looking for donors with perfect LSAT scores!

slsorhls
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:50 pm

Re: Harvard v. Yale (First World Problems)

Postby slsorhls » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:55 pm

law school and maybe an LLM at Cambridge (3-4 years) --> clerkship CoA and/or SCOTUS (1-4 years)** --> law firm ie Wachtell (2-4 years) --> academia.


Um, no one else sees this as obvious trolling?

first_world_problems
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:26 pm

Re: Harvard v. Yale (First World Problems)

Postby first_world_problems » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:00 pm

slsorhls wrote:
law school and maybe an LLM at Cambridge (3-4 years) --> clerkship CoA and/or SCOTUS (1-4 years)** --> law firm ie Wachtell (2-4 years) --> academia.


Um, no one else sees this as obvious trolling?


Trolling in what way? I said that it is an *ideal* route.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Harvard v. Yale (First World Problems)

Postby 071816 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:03 pm

Fenwick doesn't do OCI at Yale. Therefore, Harvard will provide you with superior career opportunities.

first_world_problems
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:26 pm

Re: Harvard v. Yale (First World Problems)

Postby first_world_problems » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:04 pm

chimp wrote:Fenwick doesn't do OCI at Yale. Therefore, Harvard will provide you with superior career opportunities.



Hahaha! Yes I read this! The truth about Yale stings!

chiwachiwa
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:42 pm

Re: Harvard v. Yale (First World Problems)

Postby chiwachiwa » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:25 pm

Stop...just, stop.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], phelpsy, vintageblazers and 5 guests