WUSTL v. Vandy v. UVA Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

?

Wash U
44%
Vanderbilt
32%
Virginia
24%

Total votes: 25

justonemoregame

Silver

WUSTL v. Vandy v. UVA

Post by justonemoregame » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:54 pm

Estimated debt after

WUSTL: 75K
Vandy: 160K
UVA: 225K

Strongest ties are to Ark, weak ties to TX, and reasonable ties to FL, where I’ve lived and worked for the past 4 years. I like Wash U because I feel like that debt is manageable w/o biglaw. If I miss that boat at Vandy or UVA, I’ll be high in the sky with no wingman. I have some reasonable connections in Ark, too, but no job guaranteed. I would be fine with living in the midwest, I just don’t have ties to KC, Indy, Chicago, etc.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: WUSTL v. Vandy v. UVA

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:05 pm

Try to negotiate for more from UVA and Vandy. If the money stays the same I'd take Wash U. I'm assuming you aren't BigLaw or bust.

Rango

New

Post by Rango » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:28 pm

225K for a law degree is utterly absurd. No law degree is worth that much to this generation of lawyers.

Even if you get biglaw your time as an associate may be very short-lived. Not too long ago firms were firing first-years to keep profits frothy.

Debt minimization is key, especially when the debt is non-dischargeable.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:32 pm

With a 170/3.61, you should have better financial options, in my opinion. Consider asking Vanderbilt for more money.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:37 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:With a 170/3.61, you should have better financial options, in my opinion. Consider asking Vanderbilt for more money.

Are you thinking lower-ranked regional? I still haven't heard from UF, though I would strongly consider it because I live very close to campus - debt after graduation would be something like 40K.

thanks for the responses.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:41 pm

Did you apply to Texas ? Northwestern (since you are 5 to 9 years out of undergraduate school) ? UCLA or USC if interested in Southern California ? You have great options, but they are expensive relative to what is likely in terms of job placement.

Among your listed options, WashUStL seems to be the least intimidating choice.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:46 pm

Small scholarship at Texas (I've asked them for more); it would be more expensive than Vandy currently. I applied late to Northwestern and have yet to hear. Follow up question: when does Vandy become worth it considering my ties to the south/not biglaw or bust?

checkster

Bronze

Post by checkster » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:27 pm

Seems like you're being lowballed considering your numbers...

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:30 pm

Vanderbilt is worth it, in my opinion, at $120,000 total COA since you have connections in the South. This figure assumes that you have little or no undergraduate student debt.

P.S. I don't think that you're being lowballed on scholarship money in terms of your numbers, but I do think that your numbers combined with 5 to 9 years of work experience & your Virginia acceptance might have gotten you higher offers.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:35 pm

Negotiate with Vandy and UVA, especially Vandy. I feel like they shorted you on cash.

I think WUSTL at that price is a pretty good option, and you're right that your debt would be manageable even without biglaw. I don't personally know anyone for Arkansas, but the close proximity to the state makes me think a WUSTL degree would carry well there. Maybe ask some lawyers in your area how they would view it?

Right now I'd say WUSTL, but if you can get Vandy to be somewhat comparable to the WUSTL offer, then Vandy.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:40 pm

And it should be repeated that your Vanderbilt scholarship offer should be communicated to Virginia. To state the obvious, if all three (WashUStL, Vanderbilt & Virginia) cost the same, then Virginia would be the easy choice. A Virginia law degree is worth the most among the three for a recent law school graduate due to its extended portability beyond its region, then Vanderbilt & then WashUStL.

P.S. Congratulations ! All three are great options.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”