help me choose

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
minnie7

help me choose

Postby minnie7 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:24 pm

I'm originally from Socal but went to UG in Norcal . I'd ultimately want to practice biglaw in socal. The only reservations I have are that I, like everyone else, want little debt. Also my mother is sick, so it would be hard to be away from her for 3 years knowing something could happen to her while I'm in school. I also know that the better job I get later, the more I can help her.

with that said here are my options.

I'm in at Cornell, no word yet on money.
in at ucirvine , with 35k a year.
waitlisted at UCLA and USC. Assume I get into 1.

i will surely qualify for need based aid, and maybe very little merit at cornell/USC/UCLA.

what would you choose in my shoes?

Chucky21

Re: help me choose

Postby Chucky21 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:31 pm

minnie7 wrote:I'm originally from Socal but went to UG in Norcal . I'd ultimately want to practice biglaw in socal. The only reservations I have are that I, like everyone else, want little debt. Also my mother is sick, so it would be hard to be away from her for 3 years knowing something could happen to her while I'm in school. I also know that the better job I get later, the more I can help her.

i will surely qualify for need based aid, and maybe very little merit at cornell/USC/UCLA.

As you know the LA market is not doing well right now. But UCLA does have a great rep down there and with your ties to the area you should do well coming out of that school. Cornell does have the potential to place you in LA as well, but you'll be far away from your mother which is not what you want. So I would vote for UCLA.

Good luck and I hope your mom feels better soon!

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:33 pm

minnie7 wrote:I'm originally from Socal but went to UG in Norcal . I'd ultimately want to practice biglaw in socal. The only reservations I have are that I, like everyone else, want little debt. Also my mother is sick, so it would be hard to be away from her for 3 years knowing something could happen to her while I'm in school. I also know that the better job I get later, the more I can help her.

So your choices are effectively Irvine with 35k or Cornell with 0? ... Definitely Cornell, if your mother's health issues would allow. I'd also take Cornell over USC and UCLA if you're actually from CA and have demonstrable ties there. So... yeah, Cornell. If you choose to stay, I'd say UCLA/USC > Irvine.
Last edited by woeisme on Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paulshortys10

Postby paulshortys10 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:53 pm

woah...this is pretty much my exact situation...with a few differences

I'm leaning towards Cornell at the moment though

t14fanboy

Postby t14fanboy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:58 pm

Wait do you live in or near LA? By which I mean to ask, will you be able to cut down on living expenses while commuting to school from home? If so, and you happen to get into either UCLA or USC, I would probably go there instead of Cornell. No reason to pay more to go to Cornell if you are dead-set on wanting to practice in LA.

Oh and also, not sure what you mean by "need-based aid." Other than loans, schools hand out grants if you merit them...

minnie7

Postby minnie7 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:27 pm

t14fanboy wrote:Wait do you live in or near LA? By which I mean to ask, will you be able to cut down on living expenses while commuting to school from home? If so, and you happen to get into either UCLA or USC, I would probably go there instead of Cornell. No reason to pay more to go to Cornell if you are dead-set on wanting to practice in LA.

Oh and also, not sure what you mean by "need-based aid." Other than loans, schools hand out grants if you merit them...

I wouldn't be saving anything on COL since I would need to move in either case.

worst case scenario is Cornell gives me 0 and USC/UCLA reject me. Am I obligated to take uci as the smart choice in that case?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:35 pm

(Factoring in interest.)

Looking at around 110k debt at graduation for UCI and around 260k from Cornell. I think this is 50/50 depending on your goals.

If CA biglaw > NYC biglaw > CA other legal job... go to Cornell.
If CA biglaw > CA other legal job > NYC biglaw... go to UCI.

That's a lot of risk coming out of Cornell with that much debt and it means you're going to have to take biglaw wherever you can get it, be that CA or NYC.

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:32 pm

Only you know your priorities, but if my mom was sick, I would choose a So Cal school if at all possible to be near my mom. I went to UG away from home and felt horrible when my dad was diagnosed with a terminal illness when I was attending school out of state. I didn't know when I chose the school what would happen, but in hindsight, I really wish I had been closer to home when dad was sick.

Also as a UCI student, I think UCI is a good choice. Some of the OC offices are actually expanding right now FWIW. It was slow for awhile, but the market is improving. And students have been getting placed in LA as well. If you get into USC/UCLA it is a personal choice. I personally think UCI $>USC and UCLA no money but that is only a decision you can make based on fit, goals, etc.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:25 pm

depends on what you want. if you want biglaw from uci, you need to do really, really well.

i just talked to a recruiter from a v100 firm today; their GPA cutoff for a callback from UCI was, i quote, "top 2%". i don't know how that makes any sense.

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:48 pm

Lasers wrote:depends on what you want. if you want biglaw from uci, you need to do really, really well.

i just talked to a recruiter from a v100 firm today; their GPA cutoff for a callback from UCI was, i quote, "top 2%". i don't know how that makes any sense.

Haha - that sounds like Rutan and Tucker which had a very high cutoff for us. I will say I was surprised by the range of grades students getting OCI offers had (same with clerkships for that matter). Other firms at OCI were generally no cutoff stated, top 1/3 or top 10%. I suppose firms are like students considering schools, there are probably some skeptics in the mix. But at least one firm hired 2/2 SAs from UCI in spite of people flying in for callbacks and a fair number of USC/UCLA callbacks. And the word I am hearing from career services is there will be more of a national presence at next year's UCI (this past year's was admittedly pretty regional). And we have 2Ls placed in the Bay Area, Portland, Texas, New York and DC in addition to So Cal, that I know of - I think maybe Colorado and Minnesota as well, but I may be wrong on that counts since I heard things in passing and don't know who specifically.

Anyway, given we don't rank no idea where they slotted the top 2% at, but I guess some firms might not want to give UCI a shot right away. As far as I am concerned, a firm that risk adverse isn't the right firm for me. In my externships over the summer and school term, my supervisors have not only been happy with my work but have gushed about the quality of work they've seen from my classmates as well. So I am really not worried about long term career prospects if we keep performing and delivering work product they way we are now.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:58 pm

If your mother needs you nearby, then Cornell is out. Nothing wrong with UC-Irvine with a $35,000 per year scholarship if you live nearby, have a sick parent nearby & want to practice in Southern California.

UCLA & USC are not options yet.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”