Minnesota $$$ vs. Notre Dame $$ vs. Cornell

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where to go?

Minnesota (Full Tution Scholarship)
60%
Notre Dame (25k a year)
7%
Cornell (Sticker)
33%

Total votes: 43

flcath

Re: Minnesota $$$ vs. Notre Dame $$ vs. Cornell

Postby flcath » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:05 pm

Dude the "regional" school thing is a bunch of BS, and I'm honestly not saying this to protect ND or Minnesota's honor or anything stupid like that.

I did OCIs (midwest heavy) and resume bombed nationally, and the result was a pretty evenly nationally-distributed set of callback interviews (the ones where they fly you to the firm to interview; the last stage before an offer): I had NYCs, FLs, Phoenix, Dallas, and interestingly enough no Chicago.

What the firms care about is where *you're* from, and, true to form, my actual offers were in the South (where I'm from). The difference in placement b/t Minn and Cornell is historically pretty big--not to backtrack, but I meant 'marginal' in the economics sense--but it's measurable (my guess is that over the past 3 years it probably averages out to about a 20-25% difference; you can obviously check this yourself), and it doesn't come out to be worth $200K.

Dude I don't know whether the other people ITT are post-jobhunt law students who just have a different perspective, or worthless 0Ls or what, but I'm telling you that I feel strongly that your situation is not a toss-up.

lawschool?s

Postby lawschool?s » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:55 am

I appreciate all your insights so far and I am still having a tough decision.

Unlike a lot of people I am pretty pessimistic and I wanted to know what happens if you end up towards the bottom of your class at Cornell? Say bottom 25%? Can you still get a legal job fairly easily with say 80k salary or will you not be able to find anything? Whats the fall back with Cornell?

Minnesota with not much debt doesn't seem like such a big deal if you end up towards the bottom because you don't need that big salary, but Cornell does worry me a little if I don't end up in the top half.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:50 am

flcath wrote:Dude the "regional" school thing is a bunch of BS, and I'm honestly not saying this to protect ND or Minnesota's honor or anything stupid like that.

I did OCIs (midwest heavy) and resume bombed nationally, and the result was a pretty evenly nationally-distributed set of callback interviews (the ones where they fly you to the firm to interview; the last stage before an offer): I had NYCs, FLs, Phoenix, Dallas, and interestingly enough no Chicago.

What the firms care about is where *you're* from, and, true to form, my actual offers were in the South (where I'm from). The difference in placement b/t Minn and Cornell is historically pretty big--not to backtrack, but I meant 'marginal' in the economics sense--but it's measurable (my guess is that over the past 3 years it probably averages out to about a 20-25% difference; you can obviously check this yourself), and it doesn't come out to be worth $200K.

Dude I don't know whether the other people ITT are post-jobhunt law students who just have a different perspective, or worthless 0Ls or what, but I'm telling you that I feel strongly that your situation is not a toss-up.

Not a OL - whether or not I am worthless depends on who you ask. I agree with your conclusion, but not all of your reasoning. I am at Cornell and did get job offers where I am from (New England). Would I have gotten those offers if I had gone to BC? Maybe. I think I would have had to have finished higher in my class. Would I have taken a full scholarship at BC (or ND)? Yes. I may have been hesitant to take an offer from MN, and I think that OP's plan to work in the Midwest for a while and go back to CA is somewhat flawed.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:43 am

If he wants Pacific NW, then UMN is as good as any California schools given that he already has significant ties to Washington. The PNW is pretty insular (Source: I'm from Seattle). We know that the grey sky winters are tough and are used to Californians saying they love it up north, just to find out that they're suddenly massively depressed and head home. Employers don't like investing in such people.

OP: I was in pretty much the same position minus Cornell. I chose between full tuition at UMN versus $15k per year at UW. Because of ties, debt aversion, and the desire to get out of Seattle for a bit, I chose UMN. So far I've had a few homesick-doubt moments, but overall am quite happy with my choice. And I'll be in San Francisco for my summer internship while ony being in the top third (barely), so going back west is fully possible.

Also, that 2.5 GPA requirement? We curve between 3.0 and 3.3. The fourth quartile doesn't even encompass 2.5. It takes a a special kind of failure to lose their scholarship here.

BobbyDylan

Postby BobbyDylan » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:45 am

I'd also like to add that Ithaca winters are probably just as bad, if not worse, than Minneapolis winters.

Basically, Minneapolis will be 5-10 degrees colder from Nov - March, but you'll get 2X as much snow and cloudy days in Ithaca.

Minnesota weather isn't bad, it's just cold. There's a difference.

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:59 am

BobbyDylan wrote:I'd also like to add that Ithaca winters are probably just as bad, if not worse, than Minneapolis winters.

Basically, Minneapolis will be 5-10 degrees colder from Nov - March, but you'll get 2X as much snow and cloudy days in Ithaca.

Minnesota weather isn't bad, it's just cold. There's a difference.

5-10 degrees colder doesn't quite give it credit. In January there will probably be a solid month of subzero temps while Ithaca will rarely have a subzero day. The difference is cold vs snowfall. Not that MSP doesn't get snowfall. That being said, you get over snow/cold. This coming from a guy that's been living in Duluth/practically the coldest place in the lower 48.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”