MS College of Law or FCSL?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kismet1172

MS College of Law or FCSL?

Postby kismet1172 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:34 am

I got accepted into Florida Coastal and Mississippi College of law, but I do not know which school to choose. I know that they are Tier 4 schools, but I'm just going to make the best out of them. I currently live in south Georgia so I'm just trying to figure out all the pros and cons such as the school themselves, location, cost of living, job placements, and etc. Any positive and logical feedback would be much appreciated.

checkster

Re: MS College of Law or FCSL?

Postby checkster » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:16 pm

No. One of my best friends made the mistake of taking Florida Coastal's scholarship offer, is in his second year now. He is suffering from serious depression since he realized how big of a mistake he made. To say that it will be tough to get a job from these schools is beyond optimistic. Only trying to help here, not being mean, but do not go to these places. Just don't.

srfngdd6

Postby srfngdd6 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:18 pm

if your looking for positive feedback you came to the wrong rodeo

Artistry

Postby Artistry » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:25 pm

If you want law school that badly, you need to retake the LSAT and reapply in the next admissions cycle.

As it stands, you shouldn't go.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:58 pm

I would not recommend going to either one. Retake?

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:01 pm

No. No. NO.

eringobragh

Postby eringobragh » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:59 pm

srfngdd6 wrote:if your looking for positive feedback you came to the wrong rodeo

+1

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:12 pm

eringobragh wrote:
srfngdd6 wrote:if your looking for positive feedback you came to the wrong rodeo

+1

+1

Nobody whose opinion is worth a damn (for example, no current law student or recent graduate) is gonna tell you to go to either of these festering TTTTs. I'd rather cut off an appendage than go into debt to go to one of these places.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:17 pm

romothesavior wrote:
eringobragh wrote:

+1

+1

Nobody whose opinion is worth a damn (for example, no current law student or recent graduate) is gonna tell you to go to either of these festering TTTTs. I'd rather cut off an appendage than go into debt to go to one of these places.

Luckily you don't have to cut off anything.... you just have to not go. Thank gawd we can still make wise decisions- like OP should be doing. Look, OP, just don't go. If you can't retake, don't go to law school at all. There are loads of equally rewarding, good paying jobs out there. Go to school to get one of those.

kismet1172

Postby kismet1172 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:37 pm

When I stated I was looking for positive feedback, I meant that I did not want any rude comments. Thanks everybody for the feedback. I really appreciate it, and it has given me a lot of things to think and pray about. Everybody has made great points.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:49 pm

kismet1172 wrote:When I stated I was looking for positive feedback, I meant that I did not want any rude comments. Thanks everybody for the feedback. I really appreciate it, and it has given me a lot of things to think and pray about. Everybody has made great points.

I hope you didn't interpret the blunt comments as rude. I don't think anyone wants to disparage you or anything, we just want to convey how terrible a decision to attend would be.

Good luck, and please choose wisely.

deebs

Postby deebs » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:51 pm

Every day is a constant regret of going to a t20 with only a 10k/year scholarship. I would not recommend attending either school, and I wish you the best of luck.

kismet1172

Postby kismet1172 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:16 pm

romothesavior wrote:
kismet1172 wrote:When I stated I was looking for positive feedback, I meant that I did not want any rude comments. Thanks everybody for the feedback. I really appreciate it, and it has given me a lot of things to think and pray about. Everybody has made great points.

I hope you didn't interpret the blunt comments as rude. I don't think anyone wants to disparage you or anything, we just want to convey how terrible a decision to attend would be.

Good luck, and please choose wisely.

No I didn't think anyone was being rude, but helpful. I was clearing up what I meant when I said "positive feedback." I did not take anything personal. I asked for the feedback so I would not get made if someone gave me constructive feedback.

Thanks and I will definitely keep you guys advice in mind when I make a decision. :)

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:21 pm

--ImageRemoved--

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:08 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eringobragh

Postby eringobragh » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:30 pm

I do sincerely hope you take the general advice here seriously. There are way too many law schools and too many graduates for the market demand. I believe law schools are split in three groups: the national T-14's, the regional schools, and schools that are literally diploma mills. Of course, all schools in the lower category aspire to do well and move up to the next level. Diploma mills struggle to be good regional schools. Good regional schools struggle to be T-14's.

MSCL and FCSL are diploma mills. If you cannot retake and get yourself in a position to go to a good/decent regional school (Emory, UGA, UF, even Ole' Miss), then it is in your best interest not to go at all. [Of course, there are a handful of people who succeed at diploma mills, but they are certainly exceptions to the rule...and it would be dangerous to presume that you will be one of them]

Florida Coastal is among the schools currently being sued for misleading post-graduation employment data. Whether or not you agree about the merits of this case, you should take some time to read the eye-opening filed complaint against this school: http://www.anziskalaw.com/Filed_Complaints.html

MSCL provides virtually no transparency about how their graduated students are doing (go to lawschooltransparency.com/transparency-index )...if the alumni were doing great things, isn't that something you'd think the school would go out of their way to highlight? MSCL's is $30,350/yr. Tuition will naturally go up in your second and third year. Add interest on your loans, and cost of living (however low they might be). Do you really want to mortgage your future on such a school?

Try to find a meaningful job/internship (or keep it if you have it), and hit the LSAT books hard. We all have the ability to do amazing on the LSAT, and eventually, on the Bar. It's just a matter of dutifully studying, absorbing the material, and understanding how to play the LSAT game by their rules.

I hope this helps you make an informed decision. Cheers!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:11 am

kismet1172 wrote:I asked for the feedback so I would not get mad if someone gave me constructive feedback.

You are one of the few, so thank you for that.

OP, what are your numbers? Where do you want to go work, and what do you hope to do with your law degree? What is your motivation for law school in the first place? What is your current situation (job or school major, etc.)? All of these things would be helpful in assessing your situation and possibly guiding you towards some positive alternatives.

cfrob14

Postby cfrob14 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:16 am

rad lulz wrote:Due to terrible job prospects, taking debt out at either will likely ruin your life. This is not a joke.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:15 pm

Ole Miss's medians are only 155 LSAT and 3.49 GPA. If you can get above one or the other, you will probably get in. The LSAT is totally learnable, BTW, if you didn't already know that. If you can graduate with a bachelor's degree, you can get a 160 on the LSAT with study.

kismet1172

Postby kismet1172 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:15 pm

Artistry wrote:If you want law school that badly, you need to retake the LSAT and reapply in the next admissions cycle.

As it stands, you shouldn't go.
romothesavior wrote:
kismet1172 wrote:I asked for the feedback so I would not get mad if someone gave me constructive feedback.

You are one of the few, so thank you for that.

OP, what are your numbers? Where do you want to go work, and what do you hope to do with your law degree? What is your motivation for law school in the first place? What is your current situation (job or school major, etc.)? All of these things would be helpful in assessing your situation and possibly guiding you towards some positive alternatives.

Lol you are welcome. Well here's my story. My dad has been in prison since 96 or 97. Basically the majority of my life. I was always a daddy girl so when he left I was heartbroken and did not understand b/c I was a child. I just always wanted to help my daddy...to be his hero. I know this sounds melodramatic. Of course as I got older I understood that everything is not so cut and dry, but I still wanted to help people and show them that the justice system still works. I guess if I do not go to law school then I will move to VA w/ my uncle and aunt and get my masters. They have some pull up there w/ him being an ex-marine, and she being retired from the pentagon. I'm not going to lie my numbers are not good, and I know I can definitely do better. I made a 145 and my GPA when I graduated was a 3.12 I believe. I know that's horrible, and that is why I applied to schools that I figured I had a chance to get into. I graduated w/ a BA in Political Science. Currently, I'm just working as a CSR and a sales associate to save money. I live in a town where there are hardly any career jobs, and that is why I am working at jobs that has nothing to do w/ my field. I plan on moving whether or not I go to law school now or later b/c I feel like my life is on pause, and I am being suffocated.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:20 pm

The 3.12 won't keep you out of most schools (even a chance at low T14), but that abysmal LSAT will keep you out of any school worth attending. You sound like you're in a position where you can stay put for another year and study properly for the LSAT. It's not the most exciting thing, but in your case it's the only smart option.

kismet1172

Postby kismet1172 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:25 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:The 3.12 won't keep you out of most schools (even a chance at low T14), but that abysmal LSAT will keep you out of any school worth attending. You sound like you're in a position where you can stay put for another year and study properly for the LSAT. It's not the most exciting thing, but in your case it's the only smart option.

Yeah that is what I have been thinking. I have been seriously thinking about moving to VA and taking the LSAT again after I study and get a grip on it.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:33 pm

kismet1172 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:The 3.12 won't keep you out of most schools (even a chance at low T14), but that abysmal LSAT will keep you out of any school worth attending. You sound like you're in a position where you can stay put for another year and study properly for the LSAT. It's not the most exciting thing, but in your case it's the only smart option.

Yeah that is what I have been thinking. I have been seriously thinking about moving to VA and taking the LSAT again after I study and get a grip on it.

are you a URM? If you are able to get your score into the 160's you could get accepted to some decent places. How did you prepare for the LSAT initially?
You really have no choice but to retake.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:35 pm

kismet1172 wrote:

Why bother moving first? Just work on your LSAT and move when you pick a (much better) school.

kismet1172

Postby kismet1172 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:40 pm

I do not know. I guess I just hate living in the town that I'm currently in. I have not made any decisions yet. I do know that I want to go to law school and succeed.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”