Florida State, Baylor, or Miami

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which one?

Florida State
54%
Baylor
27%
Miami
19%

Total votes: 37

charl

Florida State, Baylor, or Miami

Postby charl » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:26 am

I'd appreciate some input on this decision. I only have about 2 weeks to decide because of seat deposits (although, obviously I could make the seat deposit expenses to buy more time).

I'm from Miami, FL and my parents still live there so I don't have to worry about living arrangements. However, I went to Baylor for my undergraduate and actually bought a house here with my two brothers who also go here so again I don't have to worry about living arrangements. I'd have to get a new place for FSU in Tallahassee.

UM tuition is the most expensive (close to $40k and haven't said anything about scholarships)
Baylor is second-most (yearly tuition is $40k but they gave me $15k scholarship with a pretty easy GPA condition to keep it through the 3 years)
FSU is the least expensive (about $18k and no mention of scholarships)

FSU and Baylor have pretty much the same ranking from US News (51) whereas Miami is 15 spots lower give or take a few.

I would definitely prefer to work in Florida but I also like Texas and can see myself working here if it came to that.

My career ideas for myself right now are criminal practice or politics. I know Baylor is ranked 3rd in the nation in advocacy but FSU is also good in advocacy and just renovated a brand new advocacy center two months ago.

I'd like avoid incurring debt (I'm already in debt enough as it is with Baylor Undergrad)

If you know about these schools, let me know what you think. Just ask if you need more info about myself...

Thanks

thexfactor

Re: Florida State, Baylor, or Miami

Postby thexfactor » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:33 am

charl wrote:I'd appreciate some input on this decision. I only have about 2 weeks to decide because of seat deposits (although, obviously I could make the seat deposit expenses to buy more time).

I'm from Miami, FL and my parents still live there so I don't have to worry about living arrangements. However, I went to Baylor for my undergraduate and actually bought a house here with my two brothers who also go here so again I don't have to worry about living arrangements. I'd have to get a new place for FSU in Tallahassee.

UM tuition is the most expensive (close to $40k and haven't said anything about scholarships)
Baylor is second-most (yearly tuition is $40k but they gave me $15k scholarship with a pretty easy GPA condition to keep it through the 3 years)
FSU is the least expensive (about $18k and no mention of scholarships)

FSU and Baylor have pretty much the same ranking from US News (51) whereas Miami is 15 spots lower give or take a few.

I would definitely prefer to work in Florida but I also like Texas and can see myself working here if it came to that.

My career ideas for myself right now are criminal practice or politics. I know Baylor is ranked 3rd in the nation in advocacy but FSU is also good in advocacy and just renovated a brand new advocacy center two months ago.

I'd like avoid incurring debt (I'm already in debt enough as it is with Baylor Undergrad)

If you know about these schools, let me know what you think. Just ask if you need more info about myself...

Thanks

You should retake and reapply next year.
If not:
I think all 3 schools are interchangable. Baylor in Texas and FSU/Miami for Florida. Go to FSU since it is the cheapest and located in Florida's capital.

charl

Postby charl » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:34 am

thexfactor wrote:You should retake and reapply next year.

Why?

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:37 am

charl wrote:
thexfactor wrote:You should retake and reapply next year.

Why?

All three schools have dismal employment opportunities after graduation.

imbored25

Postby imbored25 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:57 am

not baylor

checkster

Postby checkster » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:07 pm

If the stip is actually easy to maintain, Baylor, since you already have a house there. 25k is still a lot for Baylor, but if you aren't going to retake, 7k more a year is worth it to avoid the horrible Florida market. I had dinner with an FSU professor the other day, and she mentioned that grads from last year are in really rough shape.

Artistry

Postby Artistry » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:19 pm

Miami shouldn't be in consideration if you have either Florida or Florida State offering for you at a reasonable price.

Baylor if you want Texas, Florida State if you want Florida.

charl

Postby charl » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:15 pm

checkster wrote:If the stip is actually easy to maintain, Baylor, since you already have a house there. 25k is still a lot for Baylor, but if you aren't going to retake, 7k more a year is worth it to avoid the horrible Florida market. I had dinner with an FSU professor the other day, and she mentioned that grads from last year are in really rough shape.

The Scholarhsip is renewed if I maintian a 2.9 GPA (which they say means I'm probably going to have to stay higher than the bottom 1/4 of my class). That seems like an achievable position...

My house is literally across the bridge from Baylor Law. Baylor is on the south edge of the Brazos River and my house is on the north edge. My housing situation could not be more ideal at Baylor and I'm wondering if at FSU that whatever housing arrangements I make will actually cancel out FSU's price advantage.

Is Florida's job market really that bad (relative to Texas)?

charl

Postby charl » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:16 pm

Artistry wrote:Miami shouldn't be in consideration if you have either Florida or Florida State offering for you at a reasonable price.

I agree about Miami and I think I'm leaning toward FSU but my house at Baylor and Baylor's ranking in advocacy are tempting...

imbored25

Postby imbored25 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:22 pm

charl wrote:
Artistry wrote:Miami shouldn't be in consideration if you have either Florida or Florida State offering for you at a reasonable price.

I agree about Miami and I think I'm leaning toward FSU but my house at Baylor and Baylor's ranking in advocacy are tempting...

dude the advocacy rankings don't mean shit. if you want to practice in texas you should go to UT/SMU/UH, thats it

go to florida

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:26 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jerik

Postby Jerik » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:49 am

imbored25 wrote:
charl wrote:
Artistry wrote:
dude the advocacy rankings don't mean shit. if you want to practice in texas you should go to UT/SMU/UH, thats it

While I agree rankings are rarely as important as lots of people seem them as, I have to (politely) disagree with the conclusion.

I was recently talking to a partner at a big law firm in dallas about this exact same question. She expressed to me that if the resumes were mostly similar, she would hire someone from Baylor over those from SMU, UH, and most other Texas schools aside from UT.

This shocked and aggravated me because of my desire to go to SMU, but her point was valid and it is this:

It is not necessarily the ranking of the school that impresses employers, but the sheer amount of shit that Baylor students have to go through to get their JD's. Baylor is well known for being extremely difficult and it shows, idk, character i guess for students to take on that challenge.

FYI: The partner didnt go to baylor so its not just some alumni pride or anything.

Food for thought =)

SunshineMagic

Postby SunshineMagic » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:43 am

Jerik wrote:
imbored25 wrote:
charl wrote:
Artistry wrote:

While I agree rankings are rarely as important as lots of people seem them as, I have to (politely) disagree with the conclusion.

I was recently talking to a partner at a big law firm in dallas about this exact same question. She expressed to me that if the resumes were mostly similar, she would hire someone from Baylor over those from SMU, UH, and most other Texas schools aside from UT.

This shocked and aggravated me because of my desire to go to SMU, but her point was valid and it is this:

It is not necessarily the ranking of the school that impresses employers, but the sheer amount of shit that Baylor students have to go through to get their JD's. Baylor is well known for being extremely difficult and it shows, idk, character i guess for students to take on that challenge.

FYI: The partner didnt go to baylor so its not just some alumni pride or anything.

Food for thought =)

None of these people listen to practicing attorneys they view them as "out of touch." They would rather follow random rumors or animal spirits they find on here or NLJ250 stats....

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:20 am

Jerik wrote:
imbored25 wrote:
charl wrote:
Artistry wrote:

Food for thought =)

Horseshit. One person saying that doesn't mean anything. And no Baylor students I know of feel that way. All the 3L's I've met were pretty much panicked over what to do since they had no opportunities waiting for them.

Specialty rankings are worthless, and so is Baylor's "reputation" for advocacy. Baylor is a miserable hellhole of a school, and there is zero reason to consider it.

SunshineMagic

Postby SunshineMagic » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:28 am

kalvano wrote:
Jerik wrote:
imbored25 wrote:
charl wrote:

Food for thought =)

Horseshit. One person saying that doesn't mean anything. And no Baylor students I know of feel that way. All the 3L's I've met were pretty much panicked over what to do since they had no opportunities waiting for them.

Specialty rankings are worthless, and so is Baylor's "reputation" for advocacy. Baylor is a miserable hellhole of a school, and there is zero reason to consider it.

Horseshit. Some students saying this doesn't mean anything. And no spaghetti monsters I know of feel that way. All(1) the superheros I've met were pretty much orgasmic over what to do since they had no opportunities waiting for them.

Anything attorneys tell you is worthless, and this is especially true for partners. Baylor sucks big donkey dick I know because I know trust me. Don't consider the school it has too many spaghetti monsters a little bird told me.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:26 am

Yes, I have no idea what I'm talking a lot. Ignore the multiple Baylor 2L's and 3L's I've talked with here in Texas, the multiple partners at multiple firms who have said that Baylor is a distant 4th to them, and the many, many Baylor grads who have universally said that Baylor is an awful, awful place. That's all completely irrelevant.

Also, your attempt at being a troll isn't witty, it's just stupid.

SunshineMagic

Postby SunshineMagic » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:51 am

kalvano wrote:Yes, I have no idea what I'm talking a lot. Ignore the multiple Baylor 2L's and 3L's I've talked with here in Texas, the multiple partners at multiple firms who have said that Baylor is a distant 4th to them, and the many, many Baylor grads who have universally said that Baylor is an awful, awful place. That's all completely irrelevant.

Also, your attempt at being a troll isn't witty, it's just stupid.

I'm not trying to be a troll you go to SMU....

edit: also I voted for FSU but I just can't seem to get over how many people pull shit completely out of their ass or use a small amount of evidence to justify that something is a hellhole...

flem

Postby flem » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:58 am

SunshineMagic wrote:

edit: also I voted for FSU but I just can't seem to get over how many people pull shit completely out of their ass or use a small amount of evidence to justify that something is a hellhole...

Baylor is in Waco. Waco is a hellhole.

Baylor is also the 4th best school in Texas.

Also, it has a reputation for being really competitive and completely awful.

So, there's that.

Also: the correct answer is FSU. Miami at sticker, even living at home, leaves you 150K in debt. That is hilariously awful.

SunshineMagic

Postby SunshineMagic » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:02 am

flem wrote:
SunshineMagic wrote:

Baylor is in Waco. Waco is a hellhole.

Baylor is also the 4th best school in Texas.

Also, it has a reputation for being really competitive and completely awful.

So, there's that.

Also: the correct answer is FSU. Miami at sticker, even living at home, leaves you 150K in debt. That is hilariously awful.

#1 is relative, maybe the OP is the next David Koresh....

#2 that makes it a hellhole?

#3 I have yet to read this anywhere except online forums with maybe 3-5 different students but we all know law students never get disgruntled because no matter how bad or good you do you will get a great job.....

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:40 am

Retake/reapply. If not, FSU since it is cheaper and is a decent school in your home state. Do not go to Baylor or Miami.

Also, specialty rankings aren't worth the paper they're printed. Hell, the USNWR rankings aren't either.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:31 pm

FSU is the easy choice here.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:11 pm

Employment data that is adjusted for COL and judges/lawyers reputation scores show us the closest thing we have to objective proof that Baylor/UH/SMU are peer schools.

Baylor gets a bad rap because of Waco, not because it is a bad school.

Really, all three are really risky in this environment.

If Baylor is the same price as SMU, it is not an obvious choice unless there is a preference for DFW. TLS peps like to assume that everyone on the planet thinks as they do: really there are people that prefer a smaller Texas market and Baylor could be their best bet outside of an acceptance from UT.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:21 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:Baylor gets a bad rap because of Waco, not because it is a bad school.

Baylor gets a bad rap because of the ridiculous, mind-numbingly stupid workload, and the awful environment they encourage.

Also, all the people I know / have met from Baylor are desperate about employment. Not so at SMU.

top30man

Postby top30man » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:27 pm

romothesavior wrote:Retake/reapply. If not, FSU since it is cheaper and is a decent school in your home state. Do not go to Baylor or Miami.

Also, specialty rankings aren't worth the paper they're printed. Hell, the USNWR rankings aren't either.

TITCR

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:31 pm

kalvano wrote:
Also, all the people I know / have met from Baylor are desperate about employment. Not so at SMU.

Well this is mind-numblingly meaningless. Maybe Baylor people are simply more humble....? Maybe you don't know a statistically significant number of law students?

Ok I just looked at actual numbers. 74% of Baylor '10 grads found full-time employment in JD required jobs. Only 64% at SMU grads could say the same. Median salaries were similar.

Also SMU wouldn't stipulate how many jerbs were in law firms, super TTT.

For 2010, Baylor >>> SMU. Sorry if this injection of fact interferes with your unwarranted feelings of superiority.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”