ASU New USNWR Ranking/Affect on School Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Re: ASU New USNWR Ranking/Affect on School

Post by PolySuyGuy » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:22 pm

emarxnj wrote:Your post history is public, so I did what I could.
Yes, you make a compelling argument.

Wait, are you referring to my posts or yours?

Golden Boy

New

Post by Golden Boy » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:11 pm

Not sure of how impactful this is, but I do seem to remember that ASU law was transitioning to a private funding model (and a subsequent large tuition hike?) I also heard that they would be moving all facilities from main campus to downtown with new buildings.

As far as the rankings being a one off, hasn't ASU been trending up for 4-5 years straight?

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:14 pm

Golden Boy wrote:Not sure of how impactful this is, but I do seem to remember that ASU law was transitioning to a private funding model (and a subsequent large tuition hike?) I also heard that they would be moving all facilities from main campus to downtown with new buildings.

As far as the rankings being a one off, hasn't ASU been trending up for 4-5 years straight?
Yes for all of that.

They are trying to get away from public funding, they even mentioned this at the admitted students day, but they don't seem to be too sure on when. Sorta the same with moving to the downtown campus. We were told that they have roughly 85% of the money they need, but that the changes wouldn't be happening (it being finished) for at least 3 years.

They have also been jumping in the rankings for quite some time now.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:15 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Wed May 29, 2013 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:21 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Golden Boy wrote: As far as the rankings being a one off, hasn't ASU been trending up for 4-5 years straight?
It doesn't fucking matter whether it is or it isn't.
Credited. Regional schools are regional.

On the bright side, ASU is surely T14 when it comes to sexy undergrads.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Golden Boy

New

Post by Golden Boy » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:28 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Golden Boy wrote: As far as the rankings being a one off, hasn't ASU been trending up for 4-5 years straight?
It doesn't fucking matter whether it is or it isn't.
Perhaps. But OP did ask that in the original query.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:32 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Wed May 29, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:18 pm

Nova wrote: On the bright side, ASU is surely T14 when it comes to sexy undergrads.

Sexy undergrads maybe. But definitely T14 in excessive heat, excessive dust and AC constantly blowing on you.

tlsposter

New

Post by tlsposter » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:17 pm

The NLJ250 rankings still have ASU as a non-player when it comes to getting a job, so unless we see a corresponding rise in hiring, those rankings are not going to be affected.

What matters is getting a job out of law school. A rise in US News isn't exactly going to turn ASU into a biglaw hotbed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

whiteacre

New

Post by whiteacre » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:51 am

As a 3L graduating from ASU in a week, I have to say that reading this thread is highly entertaining. The metrics used by US News are weighted, and our rise in the ranks has much more to do with the increasingly competitive LSAT/GPA splits than it does job numbers. The fact of the matter is that ASU has a great program, and offers an exceptional value compared to similar schools. I qualify as having a so called "biglaw" job lined up in the fall, and many other students have similar positions. The vast majority of people I know have jobs or clerkships upon graduation. Yes, some of these are non-traditional legal jobs, but many pay as much or more than large firms in Phoenix. We are still recovering from a deep economic downturn, and I find it ridiculous that anyone would knock the school for helping the relatively few students who don't have full time employment.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:04 am

whiteacre wrote:As a 3L graduating from ASU in a week, I have to say that reading this thread is highly entertaining. The metrics used by US News are weighted, and our rise in the ranks has much more to do with the increasingly competitive LSAT/GPA splits than it does job numbers. The fact of the matter is that ASU has a great program, and offers an exceptional value compared to similar schools. I qualify as having a so called "biglaw" job lined up in the fall, and many other students have similar positions. The vast majority of people I know have jobs or clerkships upon graduation. Yes, some of these are non-traditional legal jobs, but many pay as much or more than large firms in Phoenix. We are still recovering from a deep economic downturn, and I find it ridiculous that anyone would knock the school for helping the relatively few students who don't have full time employment.
DROVES I TELL YOU

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:51 pm

whiteacre wrote: The metrics used by US News are weighted, and our rise in the ranks has much more to do with the increasingly competitive LSAT/GPA splits than it does job numbers.
Arizona State U 3.43-3.77 160-165
Boston U 3.5-3.78 163-167
Boston College 3.5-3.77 162- 166
UC Davis 3.47-3.79 161-165

Here is at least 3 Law Schools with better numbers than ASU that are ranked equal or lower than them. There are plenty more.
I qualify as having a so called "biglaw" job lined up in the fall,.
I have NO idea what that means.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:17 pm

rad lulz wrote:
whiteacre wrote:As a 3L graduating from ASU in a week, I have to say that reading this thread is highly entertaining. The metrics used by US News are weighted, and our rise in the ranks has much more to do with the increasingly competitive LSAT/GPA splits than it does job numbers. The fact of the matter is that ASU has a great program, and offers an exceptional value compared to similar schools. I qualify as having a so called "biglaw" job lined up in the fall, and many other students have similar positions. The vast majority of people I know have jobs or clerkships upon graduation. Yes, some of these are non-traditional legal jobs, but many pay as much or more than large firms in Phoenix. We are still recovering from a deep economic downturn, and I find it ridiculous that anyone would knock the school for helping the relatively few students who don't have full time employment.
DROVES I TELL YOU
13% of c/o 2010 grads (aka, not even the worst of the recession) got full time jobs in federal clerkships or firms of 50+. And a whopping 28% got jobs in firms of 50+/clerkships/government/PI. This is below almost every school in the T1.

You're right whiteacre, EMPLOYED IN DROVES!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:30 pm

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:45 pm

chimp wrote:
whiteacre wrote: We are still recovering from a deep economic downturn, and I find it ridiculous that anyone would knock the school for helping the relatively few students who don't have full time employment.

I don't know why, but I found this extremely funny.

Golden Boy

New

Post by Golden Boy » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:39 pm

tlsposter wrote:The NLJ250 rankings still have ASU as a non-player when it comes to getting a job, so unless we see a corresponding rise in hiring, those rankings are not going to be affected.

What matters is getting a job out of law school. A rise in US News isn't exactly going to turn ASU into a biglaw hotbed.
Agreed with the premise, but I question the statement that "ASU is a non-player". Maybe in New York or Washington it isn't, but they are certainly a player in Phoenix; maybe even the player. As someone in this thread mentioned, ASU is a regional. Would anyone really go there in order to get into another market?

According to the NLJ 250, the Phoenix market is increasing in terms of new lawyers. http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... slreturn=1 A bigger pie means more opportunities for work. Go to any of the Phoenix Biglaw firm websites and take a look at the attorney profiles. You'll see a lot of ASU grads. Maybe there's a correlation.

JamesChapman23

Bronze

Post by JamesChapman23 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:50 pm

Wasn't Phoenix absolutely destroyed by the recession? I thought its growth was completely contingent on the out-of-control housing market like Vegas was.

Anyway, people are acting like ASU is the only law school in the state. U of A is generally considered a better school and not that far away.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:53 pm

Golden Boy wrote:
tlsposter wrote:The NLJ250 rankings still have ASU as a non-player when it comes to getting a job, so unless we see a corresponding rise in hiring, those rankings are not going to be affected.

Agreed with the premise, but I question the statement that "ASU is a non-player". Maybe in New York or Washington it isn't, but they are certainly a player in Phoenix; maybe even the player. As someone in this thread mentioned, ASU is a regional. Would anyone really go there in order to get into another market?

According to the NLJ 250, the Phoenix market is increasing in terms of new lawyers. http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... slreturn=1 A bigger pie means more opportunities for work. Go to any of the Phoenix Biglaw firm websites and take a look at the attorney profiles. You'll see a lot of ASU grads. Maybe there's a correlation.
So what is your point? It's still an NLJ250 non-player. Because there are only 1100 odd NLJ250 attorneys total there. Summer classes are small. Also your 4.6% growth rate represented... 41 attorneys. C'mon bro.

boredatwork

Bronze

Post by boredatwork » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:03 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:
Nova wrote: On the bright side, ASU is surely T14 when it comes to sexy undergrads.

Sexy undergrads maybe. But definitely T14 in excessive heat, excessive dust and AC constantly blowing on you.

--ImageRemoved--

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:14 pm

JamesChapman23 wrote:Wasn't Phoenix absolutely destroyed by the recession? I thought its growth was completely contingent on the out-of-control housing market like Vegas was.

Anyway, people are acting like ASU is the only law school in the state. U of A is generally considered a better school and not that far away.
Phoenix was hit hard by the recession. But I remember reading at least one recent economic forecast that placed it in the top 5 metros for job growth in the future. The city has had a few booms in the past (all of the 1950s, mid to late '80s, late '90s, 2003-2007) and will likely have another one in the next decade.

Regardless, ASU will never be "the" player. Less than 10% of the students are getting big firm jobs. UA still does better at getting its students good jobs, even in Phoenix.

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:34 pm

Golden Boy wrote: As someone in this thread mentioned, ASU is a regional. Would anyone really go there in order to get into another market?

I wish more people understood that.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”