USD or USF

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
aroth001
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:53 pm

USD or USF

Postby aroth001 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:39 pm

First post..

Here's my dilemma. Born and raised in San Diego. I have wanted to go to San Francisco for law school from the time I began the application process. I've visited both USF and USD... but I'm caught up in the rankings. Should I disregard the fact that USD is ranked higher than USF, and go to school in the city that I want to live in? Or stay in San Diego because it is a "better school".

$11k first year at USD.. still not sure how much money I would get from USF yet. HELP. I need to give my answer to USD by april 2nd and I'm still SO TORN!

(still waiting on Hastings, if accepted there its no contest.)

aroth001
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:53 pm

Re: USD or USF

Postby aroth001 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:47 pm

ANY input at all would be appreciated! I really am so torn that I teared up during my USF tour yesterday. Just got home to SD last night.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: USD or USF

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:48 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mattalones
Posts: 537
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:18 pm

Re: USD or USF

Postby Mattalones » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:52 pm

Bro, from being a 2L at a T20, rankings don't matter past 10-14 if you're thinking nationally. Beyond that, it's local competition. SF is fucked, competing with Stanford, Boalt, Hastings, Davis, McGeorge, Santa Clara, and Golden Gate. SD is the top LS in SD. You'll mainly be #3 in the area after UCLA and USC. Some Pepperoni and Loyal kids might apply to SD, but not most of them.

I would say not to go at all if I were you, though.

aroth001
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:53 pm

Re: USD or USF

Postby aroth001 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:05 am

Looking for a genuine response, please! :)

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: USD or USF

Postby 071816 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:07 am

rad lulz wrote:At those prices, honestly, neither, due to bad job prospects. Sucks but that's it.

Artistry
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:31 pm

Re: USD or USF

Postby Artistry » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:11 am

I've actually visited the USF campus, and I can't say I was terribly impressed. To me, it's not worth the price of attendance, given the intense competition for jobs in that area.

That's not an endorsement of USD, though; I've never visited that school, so I wouldn't know.

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: USD or USF

Postby Bronck » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:24 am

chimp wrote:
rad lulz wrote:At those prices, honestly, neither, due to bad job prospects. Sucks but that's it.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: USD or USF

Postby 20160810 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:25 am

aroth001 wrote:Looking for a genuine response, please! :)

Retake the LSAT or don't go is the most genuine response you're going to get. Neither of these schools are worth the cost.

That said, USD is marginally better, has the SD market (small though it is) somewhat to itself, and they gave you a little money. If you absolutely cannot get your LSAT score even 3-4 points higher, go to USD. Otherwise, retake, reapply next year.

kublaikahn
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:47 am

Re: USD or USF

Postby kublaikahn » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:03 am


User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: USD or USF

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:47 am

SBL wrote:
aroth001 wrote:Looking for a genuine response, please! :)

Retake the LSAT or don't go is the most genuine response you're going to get. Neither of these schools are worth the cost.

That said, USD is marginally better, has the SD market (small though it is) somewhat to itself, and they gave you a little money. If you absolutely cannot get your LSAT score even 3-4 points higher, go to USD. Otherwise, retake, reapply next year.

Yep, this.

Writing off answers you don't want to hear doesn't mean they aren't genuine responses. These schools at these prices are terrible options. In fact, telling you to go to either would not be a genuine response that I or any other current law student would be able to give you in good conscience.

NoJob
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:32 pm

Re: USD or USF

Postby NoJob » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:53 am

aroth001 wrote:First post..

Here's my dilemma. Born and raised in San Diego. I have wanted to go to San Francisco for law school from the time I began the application process. I've visited both USF and USD... but I'm caught up in the rankings. Should I disregard the fact that USD is ranked higher than USF, and go to school in the city that I want to live in? Or stay in San Diego because it is a "better school".

$11k first year at USD.. still not sure how much money I would get from USF yet. HELP. I need to give my answer to USD by april 2nd and I'm still SO TORN!

(still waiting on Hastings, if accepted there its no contest.)


NEITHER. Don't ruin your life. CA has more than enough attys.

imbored25
Posts: 361
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:58 pm

Re: USD or USF

Postby imbored25 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:00 pm

usd

pillowpet
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:08 am

Re: USD or USF

Postby pillowpet » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:22 pm

as people have stated above, the market is intense in the bay area. there just isn't enough jobs to go around. However, usd won't place you in the ideal situation either. although usd is the top law school in san diego, the legal market just isn't big. you'll have to try to reach into LA and then you run into the same problem with UCLA, USC, Pepp, Loyola, SW, and UCI being in the area.

if you had to go to one of those two, then i would choose usd. live at home with your family and save as much money as you can.

PolySuyGuy
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:59 pm

Re: USD or USF

Postby PolySuyGuy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:39 pm

aroth001 wrote:First post..

Here's my dilemma. Born and raised in San Diego. I have wanted to go to San Francisco for law school from the time I began the application process. I've visited both USF and USD... but I'm caught up in the rankings. Should I disregard the fact that USD is ranked higher than USF, and go to school in the city that I want to live in? Or stay in San Diego because it is a "better school".

$11k first year at USD.. still not sure how much money I would get from USF yet. HELP. I need to give my answer to USD by april 2nd and I'm still SO TORN!

(still waiting on Hastings, if accepted there its no contest.)



Wait for Hastings.

User avatar
Mr. Pancakes
Posts: 1234
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: USD or USF

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:39 pm

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
coldpixies
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:03 pm

Re: USD or USF

Postby coldpixies » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:08 am

/////////////////
Last edited by coldpixies on Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aroth001
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:53 pm

Re: USD or USF

Postby aroth001 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:35 am

Thats more of an answer to my question. Thank you... still going to wait it out on Hastings--but USD wants my deposit by April 2nd. I might have to put down the money just so I don't lose the spot. I'm not ready to make the decision.

User avatar
chup
Posts: 23648
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:48 pm

Re: USD or USF

Postby chup » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:55 am

Or you could just ignore all the objectively correct advice that has been given to you.

That's cool too.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: USD or USF

Postby 20160810 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:57 am

aroth001 wrote:Thats more of an answer to my question. Thank you... still going to wait it out on Hastings--but USD wants my deposit by April 2nd. I might have to put down the money just so I don't lose the spot. I'm not ready to make the decision.

For the love of god man retaking costs what like $200? That is ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE less than you're about to waste on a JD from USD.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: USD or USF

Postby rad lulz » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:06 am

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: USD or USF

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:39 am

chup wrote:Or you could just ignore all the objectively correct advice that has been given to you.

That's cool too.

You sound like a bitter, jealous, pompous T14 HYS fanboy.

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: USD or USF

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:51 am

Mr. Pancakes wrote:--ImageRemoved--


Best retake reply ever.

danicab
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:24 pm

Re: USD or USF

Postby danicab » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:56 am

I have a lot of family in the Bay Area and the lawyers say that USF is highly respected within the region...I guess the point being that the school does a lot better than the rankings suggest. :)

User avatar
Mr. Pancakes
Posts: 1234
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: USD or USF

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:01 am

danicab wrote:I have a lot of family in the Bay Area and the lawyers say that USF is highly respected within the region...I guess the point being that the school does a lot better than the rankings suggest. :)

the school might have done well pre-shit economy.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], izha, neptunian and 5 guests