Fordham (free) or NYU/Columbia (sticker)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Fordham (Free) vs NYU / Columbia (sticker)

Fordham for Free
26%
NYU/Columbia at sticker
43%
Columbia at sticker, don't pay full price at NYU
24%
NYU at sticker, don't pay full price at Columbia
7%

Total votes: 90

lawyerwannabe

Re: Fordham (free) or NYU/Columbia (sticker)

Postby lawyerwannabe » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:36 pm

Lines have to be drawn somewhere, and for some reason, I have always felt like HYSC are worth sticker unless there is a competing full-ride offer from a lower T14. Since your situation is between a non-T14 and C, I would say that, while the debt may be crushing, your career outlook is infinitely brighter coming out of Columbia. It is a degree you will have forever and the name itself has a certain amount of cache. This is not to say, however, that picking Fordham is the wrong choice. Best of luck OP with your great options.

Chucky21

Postby Chucky21 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:59 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:Lines have to be drawn somewhere, and for some reason, I have always felt like HYSC are worth sticker unless there is a competing full-ride offer from a lower T14. Since your situation is between a non-T14 and C, I would say that, while the debt may be crushing, your career outlook is infinitely brighter coming out of Columbia. It is a degree you will have forever and the name itself has a certain amount of cache. This is not to say, however, that picking Fordham is the wrong choice. Best of luck OP with your great options.

This is true, but crushing debt is something to consider. Best of luck in your decision.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:56 pm

Gotta go with CLS/NYU on this one, their biglaw placement is too good to turn down. It may not be 100% but it is pretty damn close.

Have they given out aid yet?

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:07 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Are your parents willing to hire you after law school ? If so, is that your career goal ?

If Fordham will get you where you want to go career-wise, then it's a great option; however, if you are seeking a career in NYC biglaw, then Columbia is probably the best choice (unless one of your parents is a hiring partner in a NYC biglaw firm that does not have an anti-nepotism rule).

In short, we need more info.

I think a lot of this depends on your parents. If they are both in big law and like Fordham boosters or something and have lots of friends form their graduating class in big law then you are probably hooked up and should keep up the family tradition. If not then probably Columbia.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:30 pm

timbs4339 wrote:Gotta go with CLS/NYU on this one, their biglaw placement is too good to turn down. It may not be 100% but it is pretty damn close.

Considering the source I'm somewhat baffled by this post. In a good way.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:32 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:Gotta go with CLS/NYU on this one, their biglaw placement is too good to turn down. It may not be 100% but it is pretty damn close.

Considering the source I'm somewhat baffled by this post. In a good way.

I'll admit I'm probably Fordham's biggest booster here (with good reason, but that's a story for another time), and im also one of thr more debt averse peor here, but, I'm not stupid either. Columbia and NYU are 2 steps above Fordham, and where there might be a handful of circumstances where it might make sense (eg if OP's goals involve a low paying job not covered by LRAP) generally speaking one should pick Columbia or NYU.

In the same way, it'd be tough to turn down Yale.

(side note: my brother is a surgeon with a PHD in something medical [vascular something or another] He once was all geared up to become the first international student accepted to a particular, very prestigious, program at Cornell because he got accepted to a lesser program at Harvard - because you don't say no to Harvard. 2 years later he turned down Oxford to go somewhere with far less name recognition)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”