Hastings v. USD Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
surfSD

New

Hastings v. USD

Post by surfSD » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:12 pm

$18,000 at USD first year, non renewable. Nothing yet from Hastings, but keeping my fingers crossed. I'm looking at public interest, both schools have loan forgiveness programs as I will undoubtedly be up to my ears in debt and not making the big bucks.

What do you guys think? Is $18,000 worth going to USD for, or should I take sticker(assuming no money) at Hastings?

Thanks!

Bronck

Gold

Re: Hastings v. USD

Post by Bronck » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:16 pm

Both are bad options. Retake or don't go.

Gleason

New

Post by Gleason » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:30 pm

If you're really dedicated to PI, then Hastings is not a terrible option. Try to negotiate a little money out of them (they don't offer all that much anyway) to mitigate the risks.

Shooting for PI at full price tuition is scary for the worst case scenario, but Hastings has good LRAP for everything but the worst case.

Advising to retake is tricky because OP's GPA isn't going to yield better results for CA schools.

So this is Hastings (if you're feeling risky), retake for a different market (or UVA ED), or don't go. SD just doesn't have enough of a market for PI to restrict yourself to it, and USD is not PI concentrated enough to make it worth going to--especially for a non-renewable scholarship.

surfSD

New

Post by surfSD » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:52 pm

Gleason wrote:If you're really dedicated to PI, then Hastings is not a terrible option. Try to negotiate a little money out of them (they don't offer all that much anyway) to mitigate the risks.

Shooting for PI at full price tuition is scary for the worst case scenario, but Hastings has good LRAP for everything but the worst case.

Advising to retake is tricky because OP's GPA isn't going to yield better results for CA schools.

So this is Hastings (if you're feeling risky), retake for a different market (or UVA ED), or don't go. SD just doesn't have enough of a market for PI to restrict yourself to it, and USD is not PI concentrated enough to make it worth going to--especially for a non-renewable scholarship.
Thanks for the reply. I heard Hastings just started sending out $$ letters, so I am hopeful. I am fully committed at this time and understand the risk, hooray for all my gamblers out there! I know I am not alone in hoping for a quick 3 year economic recovery. :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”