NYU ($) v. GULC (?) v. NU (?)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
theodorant

NYU ($) v. GULC (?) v. NU (?)

Postby theodorant » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:32 pm

Hi everyone, I would really appreciate some help/new perspectives! I'm debating between NYU, GULC and Northwestern. I have 50/60k at NYU but I haven't heard back from the other two. I love NYC but I also love Chicago and DC, so I can't go wrong with either of those cities. I was hoping people would have insight on how easy is to get into a first/second choice clinical program at either school and how common small classes are at each school.

I really like GULC's Curriculum B, but I love NYU's 1L curriculum too- which lets you take Int'l Law and has the Lawyering program.

My career goals are hazy right now-- I've interned at women's human rights nonprofits and I see myself somewhere in that world. But, I haven't eliminated BigLaw post-grad because I need to pay off loans. I assume I can always return to human rights work once I've made enough to pay off some loans?

A sincere thanks to anybody who has an opinion!!

Bronck

Re: NYU ($) v. GULC (?) v. NU (?)

Postby Bronck » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:46 pm

Wait for money first. Right now, NYU is clearly in the lead because of the scholarship offer.

sfreuden

Postby sfreuden » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:46 pm

theodorant wrote:Hi everyone, I would really appreciate some help/new perspectives! I'm debating between NYU, GULC and Northwestern. I have 50/60k at NYU but I haven't heard back from the other two. I love NYC but I also love Chicago and DC, so I can't go wrong with either of those cities. I was hoping people would have insight on how easy is to get into a first/second choice clinical program at either school and how common small classes are at each school.

I really like GULC's Curriculum B, but I love NYU's 1L curriculum too- which lets you take Int'l Law and has the Lawyering program.

My career goals are hazy right now-- I've interned at women's human rights nonprofits and I see myself somewhere in that world. But, I haven't eliminated BigLaw post-grad because I need to pay off loans. I assume I can always return to human rights work once I've made enough to pay off some loans?

A sincere thanks to anybody who has an opinion!!

It is hard to give any advice before you know scholly options for GULC and NU. A 50/60K scholly at NYU is nothing to scoff at, especially considering a lot of people go to NYU at sticker. Do you know when GULC and NU will let you know about money? Maybe you should contact their financial aid offices, especially if you have the April 6th deadline for NYU. Also, you shouldn't underestimate how hard it can be to get into PI work. I'm not sure how easy/difficult it would be to shift from biglaw to human rights work.

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:49 pm

You would love to live and work in NYC, possibly in international law, and you got into NYU with good money, which is a better school all around as well as in the specific fields of PI and international law.

Why are you considering other options again? Unless you get big $$$ from GULC or NU, this seems to me like a pretty clear win for NYU.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”