USD (Full) vs. Pep. vs. Loyola vs Hastings (Sticker)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
CAbram

USD (Full) vs. Pep. vs. Loyola vs Hastings (Sticker)

Postby CAbram » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:22 pm

With COL over three years the schools will end up costing me about

USD (39 K/yr good standing) - $60 K
Pep (25k/yr top third) - $120 K
Loyola (23K/yr 3.2 GPA) - $120 K
Hastings $176 K
still waiting to hear back from USC and UCLA

Though Hastings is head and shoulders above the rest (in terms of USN and other rankings) the large difference in prices has me leaning towards USD. Looking to practice for a few years after graduation and hopefully use the J.D. to move into non-legal work down the road, likely entrepreneurship (a certification program Pepperdine has). Looking for any input, advice, etc.

gaud

Re: USD (Full) vs. Pep. vs. Loyola vs Hastings (Sticker)

Postby gaud » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:23 pm

Out of those, I'd go with USD. The other schools are simply too expensive.

I'd probably take USC or UCLA before USD, though. (assuming you get the option)

EDIT: I'll echo what Chimp said. If you don't want to be a lawyer, you shouldn't go to law school.
Last edited by gaud on Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 071816 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:24 pm

CAbram wrote:With COL over three years the schools will end up costing me about

USD (39 K/yr good standing) - $60 K
Pep (25k/yr top third) - $120 K
Loyola (23K/yr 3.2 GPA) - $120 K
Hastings $176 K
still waiting to hear back from USC and UCLA

Though Hastings is head and shoulders above the rest (in terms of USN and other rankings) the large difference in prices has me leaning towards USD. Looking to practice for a few years after graduation and hopefully use the J.D. to move into non-legal work down the road, likely entrepreneurship (a certification program Pepperdine has). Looking for any input, advice, etc.

If you don't ultimately want to be a lawyer, don't go to law school. The degree won't help you much for non-legal work. If you must go, however, I would take the cheapest option in your situation.

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:35 pm

USD seems like your best choice by far, given the COA and lack of stips. Regarding the sentiment of Hastings>USD, take a look at the links below: at least 133/284 (47%) have full time jd-required positions from USD and Hastings has 220/421 (52%). Hastings places better in larger firms, but because of your long term goals, I wouldn't worry about that (especially with the difference in debt).

If you don't want a career in law for the long term and therefore want to maintain flexibility, then you want the lowest debt possible with the options you have; that means USD all the way.

--LinkRemoved--
http://www.sandiego.edu/law/careers/students/employment_data/2010_employment_data.php

I hesitate to echo the sentiment of the others about not going, since I don't personally know you nor the specifics about your long term goals...that's up to you.

ETA: By the way, you sure as hell don't need certification to be an entrepreneur.

CAbram

Postby CAbram » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:52 pm

splitbrain wrote:ETA: By the way, you sure as hell don't need certification to be an entrepreneur.

The certification isn't really what peaked my interest. More the class offerings and possible networking available.

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:01 pm

CAbram wrote:
splitbrain wrote:ETA: By the way, you sure as hell don't need certification to be an entrepreneur.

The certification isn't really what peaked my interest. More the class offerings and possible networking available.

Have you looked into top MBA programs?

ETA for grammar
Last edited by splitbrain on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mick Haller

Postby Mick Haller » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:05 pm

USD hands down. And this is coming from a Hastings student. I had roughly the same offer and should have taken it. I am well inside the top 20/25% at Hastings and no job. If you are going to have weak prospects, at least keep your debt low. I am lucky to have under 100k debt, but many of my classmates are in the 150-200k range with no job lined up.

And in the long term, there seems to be a risk that Hastings is going to be sunk by state funding issues.

Postby 071816 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:05 pm

splitbrain wrote:
CAbram wrote:

Have you looked in to top MBA programs?

I was also wondering about this. If you have relevant work experience, business school sounds like a better option for you than law school.

JamesChapman23

Postby JamesChapman23 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:17 pm

Mick Haller wrote:USD hands down. And this is coming from a Hastings student. I had roughly the same offer and should have taken it. I am well inside the top 20/25% at Hastings and no job. If you are going to have weak prospects, at least keep your debt low. I am lucky to have under 100k debt, but many of my classmates are in the 150-200k range with no job lined up.

And in the long term, there seems to be a risk that Hastings is going to be sunk by state funding issues.

Isn't Hastings pretty much on its own as it is? I know there was a major thing several year ago about whether the state of CA was going to fund the school at all.

55,000 for tuition plus cost of living in SF just must make the school impossibly expensive even if you can line up a decent job. Although for the purposes of IBR, whether you are 50k in debt or 250k in debt, you will end up paying the same amount regardless.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”