UVA (sticker) vs. Georgetown ($$$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UVA vs. Georgetown

UVA (sticker)
24%
GULC (78k)
76%

Total votes: 51

bringit

UVA (sticker) vs. Georgetown ($$$)

Postby bringit » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:00 pm

I had been planning on attending UVA at sticker, but GULC just offered me 78K in need-based aid. I am going to see if UVA will offer me anything, but because their scholarships heavily favor merit-based credentials, I'm preparing for a worse case scenario.

My ultimate goal is big law, and would like to eventually work in the west (California or Utah, if possible), although I'm open to the idea of staying in DC after law school. As a Russian major, I like the idea of doing something international law, but not set on it.

Even with the cost of living difference, this makes GULC significantly cheaper. Is UVA really worth 70K more?

danielhay11

Re: UVA (sticker) vs. Georgetown ($$$)

Postby danielhay11 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:12 pm

I voted for G'town because $78k is a huge difference - on a ten-year repayment plan, that's a $150,000 premium. But TCR is to see if UVA will offer something comparable.

bringit

Postby bringit » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:20 pm

danielhay11 wrote:I voted for G'town because $78k is a huge difference - on a ten-year repayment plan, that's a $150,000 premium. But TCR is to see if UVA will offer something comparable.

Yeah, I hadn't thought about that. I'm just worried a bit about employment, since it's so much better at UVA. UVA isn't giving out any more scholarships until after the April 6th deadline, so it'll still be a few weeks before I have any idea if they'll negotiate with anything.

justicefishy

Postby justicefishy » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:06 pm

I've got a friend in the top 30% at GULC and he's having a ton of trouble finding Biglaw. I'm going with UVA since they've got a lot better placement.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:12 pm

justicefishy wrote:I've got a friend in the top 30% at GULC and he's having a ton of trouble finding Biglaw. I'm going with UVA since they've got a lot better placement.

top 30% is a good position for employment coming from GULC. in other words, chances are it wasn't the school or the grades that struck him out.

chipchip

Postby chipchip » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:40 pm

top 30% is a good position for employment coming from GULC. in other words, chances are it wasn't the school or the grades that struck him out.

This. One person doesn't tell the story of the entire school. If you're top 30% and can hold a conversation, you should've done fine during EIW, barring some other factors. If you didn't, well...don't blame Georgetown (or any T14, for that matter), for your own personal shortcomings.

$78K is a lot. See if UVA matches. If they do, then really just consider what place you like more IMO. If they don't, well, GULC is the right choice in this situation IMO.

bringit

Postby bringit » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:59 pm

chipchip wrote:

This. One person doesn't tell the story of the entire school. If you're top 30% and can hold a conversation, you should've done fine during EIW, barring some other factors. If you didn't, well...don't blame Georgetown (or any T14, for that matter), for your own personal shortcomings.

$78K is a lot. See if UVA matches. If they do, then really just consider what place you like more IMO. If they don't, well, GULC is the right choice in this situation IMO.

Georgetown just combined my need-based award with a merit based scholarship for a total of 35k a year. It's hard to pass up law school at a T14 for half price...I'm hoping that UVA can match it or offer me something close to it.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:03 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobbyh1919

Postby bobbyh1919 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:16 pm

chipchip wrote:

If UVA matches (which I don't think they will), going to UVA is probably TCR, regardless of which school you like better. Because so much of your money was based on need, I don't think UVA is going to be able to come close to matching that offer though.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”