Emory v. Fordham v. BC v. W&L

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rich_4

Emory v. Fordham v. BC v. W&L

Postby rich_4 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:49 pm

I'm struggling with this decision and thought I would get all the input that's available on TLS.

Emory - 66k scholarship
W&L - 60k scholarship

Haven't heard from BC or Fordham about merit $, but hopefully I find out soon.

I want to eventually have a career in either lobbying (probably international lobbying) or international law. I know Fordham and BC place better in the NLJ Top 250, but I am worried about not being able to break into the top ~15% at Fordham/BC and then not being able to compete for large corporate firm jobs in NY/Boston/DC because of my class rank. There are so many top 14 schools in Boston and NY it just seems like the competition will be fierce in these markets for schools that aren't ranked quite as high as NYU/Columbia/Cornell etc.

In reality, I seem like a better fit for Emory and W&L. I was raised in the south and I'm graduating from the best liberal arts college in the south, which makes me somewhat worried about how well I would fit in with the NYC/Boston law crowd.

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

tennisking88

Re: Emory v. Fordham v. BC v. W&L

Postby tennisking88 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:53 pm

rich_4 wrote:I'm struggling with this decision and thought I would get all the input that's available on TLS.

Emory - 66k scholarship
W&L - 60k scholarship

I want to eventually have a career in either lobbying (probably international lobbying) or international law. I know Fordham and BC place better in the NLJ Top 250, but I am worried about not being able to break into the top ~15% at Fordham/BC and then not being able to compete for large corporate firm jobs in NY/Boston/DC because of my class rank. There are so many top 14 schools in Boston and NY it just seems like the competition will be fierce in these markets for schools that aren't ranked quite as high as NYU/Columbia/Cornell etc.

In reality, I seem like a better fit for Emory and W&L. I was raised in the south and I'm graduating from the best liberal arts college in the south, which makes me somewhat worried about how well I would fit in with the NYC/Boston law crowd.

Wtf is international lobbying? Go to Emory. It's not even a close call.

rich_4

Postby rich_4 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:02 pm

Lobbying for international companies that want to influence U.S. policies. I got interested in it when I worked at a law firm in Shanghai for a summer. A lot of companies have a serious interest in making sure our tariffs/taxes/import policies/etc. stay the way they are.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:04 pm

All of these are regional schools. Pick the school in the region you want to live and work in after law school.

top30man

Postby top30man » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:18 pm

tennisking88 wrote:
rich_4 wrote:I'm struggling with this decision and thought I would get all the input that's available on TLS.

Emory - 66k scholarship
W&L - 60k scholarship

Wtf is international lobbying? Go to Emory. It's not even a close call.

Also voting emory, especially with those strong southern ties.

Mattalones

Postby Mattalones » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:25 pm

2L at a T20-25 school here.

I recommend the school with the least USNWR fluctuation over the years. When I applied to my current school, I think it was 19 and now it is on the lower side of the lower range mentioned above. Once you have that information, then balance prestige, scholarships, location, etc. Doing so in the context of a time-spanned ranking will serve you better than by comparison to a single year ranking.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:26 pm

rich_4 wrote:Lobbying for international companies that want to influence U.S. policies. I got interested in it when I worked at a law firm in Shanghai for a summer. A lot of companies have a serious interest in making sure our tariffs/taxes/import policies/etc. stay the way they are.

Don't go to law school.
The way to get that kind of job is to get yourself elected to national office first (it's an exit option for congressmen and senators)
Otherwise, it's about contacts - and not the type you make at law school. If you don't have a hookup already, you wont be able to get that kind of job
(a friend of mine does this in DC - its all about who you know. The biggest part of the job requirement is getting meetings with politicians)
Last edited by dingbat on Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tennisking88

Postby tennisking88 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:28 pm

rich_4 wrote:Lobbying for international companies that want to influence U.S. policies.

LOL, this sounds amazingly evil

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:36 pm

tennisking88 wrote:
rich_4 wrote:Lobbying for international companies that want to influence U.S. policies.

LOL, this sounds amazingly evil

Our government is set up to make evil easy

Return to “Choosing a Law School”