Colorado ($$) vs GULC (Sticker)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
holden147
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:30 pm

Re: Colorado ($$) vs GULC (Sticker)

Postby holden147 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:26 pm

I just wanted to point out that I essentially have 0 interest in big law, so that's why I'm considering GULC with the LRAP program. While it's a lot of money, the only reason I wouldn't do PI/government work is due to an inability to get said job. Does anyone know how likely it is to get a job in this field out of GULC? I was under the impression that due to GULC's location and prestige, it should be pretty easy to find SOMETHING reasonable in that field as long as one does not completely bomb out of LS. My only concern is going to school, incurring the debt, and then not being able to get a job (i.e. due to a hiring freeze) and being stuck with lots of debt and no job that allows me to enter LRAP.


As to the poster who said I was lowballing the COA, I misunderstood and was not factoring in all my expenses (rent, food, etc.)

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Colorado ($$) vs GULC (Sticker)

Postby spleenworship » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:06 pm

CU.

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: Colorado ($$) vs GULC (Sticker)

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:31 pm

bk1 wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:I put your debt at CU much lower because of the lower cost of living. I live in Boulder and pay 800 and change for rent, but you can live ten minutes from the law school and pay $500 or $600 for a one bedroom if you'd like. For reference, my share of the rent was $1250 a month in D.C. and I lived in a ten by ten room in an apartment with two chicks, no living room, and a half kitchen you couldn't turn around in. Plus a non happy hour drink in D.C. is at least twice as much as in northern Colorado. (should you happen to be an alcoholic).

You'll get in-state after your first year at CU but that should still leave you paying around 40k in tuition over the last two years. You could live on the COL estimate CU Law provides, which is about $11,000 a year I believe. So 73k. I first said 60k but I actually hadn't done the math on your scholarship.

As to the previous poster hazarding a guess that I might have a better idea about what amount of debt is too much at CU Law-- I assume that you have kindly granted me this respect because I attend CU Law. I would caution that this does not make me an expert in the slightest. I have no idea if 80k of debt is "too much." It wouldn't be too much for me because of the career track I am heading down, but those wanting to get right in the thick of the private sector might feel differently. I think your payment would be about $1,000 a month with 80k debt. I dunno I think you can expect to be able to afford that. Maybe you won't be able to afford that. I don't know.


CU at least budgets 11k for rent/utilities/food but an additional 9k for books/healthinsurance/transportation/personal. It's also important to not that school CoA budgets don't include the summer. I will defer to you in how cheaply one could live in Boulder, but I think CU's seems close considering your estimate of 800/month in rent.

The debt estimate seems like it should be around 100k. That's around 1200/month in loan payments on a 10 year repayment plan. I think that's feasible on a 50k/year salary though it's still putting a major dent into that salary.


CU at least budgets 11k for rent/utilities/food but an additional 9k for books/healthinsurance/transportation/personal. It's also important to not that school CoA budgets don't include the summer. I will defer to you in how cheaply one could live in Boulder, but I think CU's seems close considering your estimate of 800/month in rent.

The debt estimate seems like it should be around 100k. That's around 1200/month in loan payments on a 10 year repayment plan. I think that's feasible on a 50k/year salary though it's still putting a major dent into that salary.[/quote]

Yeah they estimate like 11k for rent/utilities/food then more for extra things the OP may not want. For example, I do have health insurance, but I do not pay anywhere close to the $2,400.00 a year that they estimate it will cost. OP said he was used to living on the cheap and I was giving him the low figure. If he wants to live for 11k out here it is possible, although the majority of the class does leans toward the trust fund type and will be spending far more than that. Actually I only know of one person who for sure lives on less than 11k, but I know its possible. Its not an exact science but with all the free lunches you get at law school, the free bus system, and the low cost of living on the outskirts of boulder county it is possible. Besides a lot of those calculators help the school decide the maximum that they will qualify you for loans, not what is possible.. Good point that schools only run their estimates for 9 months out of the year, however I'm working at both a legal and non-legal job this summer to make some money-- the summer doesn't have to put you further in the whole. I'd say a good chunk of the 2L's are getting paid this summer, as well. (although very few have big law gigs, I'm talking about hourly wage work at small firms, etc). OP do you have a significant other that can help support you doing law school?

User avatar
holden147
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:30 pm

Re: Colorado ($$) vs GULC (Sticker)

Postby holden147 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:51 pm

Update:

I received significant need aid from GULC so my decision has been made way easier since the offer made the two debts comparable.

Now to apartment hunt!

Thanks everyone for your help. :lol:

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Colorado ($$) vs GULC (Sticker)

Postby spleenworship » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:56 pm

holden147 wrote:Update:

I received significant need aid from GULC so my decision has been made way easier since the offer made the two debts comparable.

Now to apartment hunt!

Thanks everyone for your help. :lol:


Congrats and good luck!

User avatar
thexfactor
Posts: 1277
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:40 am

Re: Colorado ($$) vs GULC (Sticker)

Postby thexfactor » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:33 pm

Colorado gives you a very look likelihood of succeeding. I f you only have these two choices, i would go to GULC sticker over scholarship at CU.

3 years of your time is a fixed investment no matter how much the school costs. GULC gives you a roughly 50~ chance of getting a good job vs CU prob 10-15%. ( keep in mind that Midlaw is usually just as hard to get as biglaw. Also good PI jobs are not easy to get.) Furthermore if you have connections to Denver/Boulder area you could always get it from GULC. You can't say the same about going to CU and trying to get DC jobs.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Colorado ($$) vs GULC (Sticker)

Postby spleenworship » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:51 pm

thexfactor wrote:Colorado gives you a very look likelihood of succeeding. I f you only have these two choices, i would go to GULC sticker over scholarship at CU.

3 years of your time is a fixed investment no matter how much the school costs. GULC gives you a roughly 50~ chance of getting a good job vs CU prob 10-15%. ( keep in mind that Midlaw is usually just as hard to get as biglaw. Also good PI jobs are not easy to get.) Furthermore if you have connections to Denver/Boulder area you could always get it from GULC. You can't say the same about going to CU and trying to get DC jobs.



I seriously doubt the bolded is that low. CU probably does as well in it's own market at GULC does in DC. I do agree though that GULC to CO would be way easier than CU to DC.

It also depends on how you define "good job."

User avatar
thexfactor
Posts: 1277
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:40 am

Re: Colorado ($$) vs GULC (Sticker)

Postby thexfactor » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:05 pm

spleenworship wrote:
thexfactor wrote:Colorado gives you a very look likelihood of succeeding. I f you only have these two choices, i would go to GULC sticker over scholarship at CU.

3 years of your time is a fixed investment no matter how much the school costs. GULC gives you a roughly 50~ chance of getting a good job vs CU prob 10-15%. ( keep in mind that Midlaw is usually just as hard to get as biglaw. Also good PI jobs are not easy to get.) Furthermore if you have connections to Denver/Boulder area you could always get it from GULC. You can't say the same about going to CU and trying to get DC jobs.



I seriously doubt the bolded is that low. CU probably does as well in it's own market at GULC does in DC. I do agree though that GULC to CO would be way easier than CU to DC.

It also depends on how you define "good job."



Are you joking me? Check NLJ250 placement numbers. While I understand the OP didn't mention biglaw, but NLJ250 numbers usually represents how well a school places. Keep in mind that midlaw and good PI jobs are just as hard to get as biglaw.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Colorado ($$) vs GULC (Sticker)

Postby spleenworship » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:28 pm

thexfactor wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
thexfactor wrote:Colorado gives you a very look likelihood of succeeding. I f you only have these two choices, i would go to GULC sticker over scholarship at CU.

3 years of your time is a fixed investment no matter how much the school costs. GULC gives you a roughly 50~ chance of getting a good job vs CU prob 10-15%. ( keep in mind that Midlaw is usually just as hard to get as biglaw. Also good PI jobs are not easy to get.) Furthermore if you have connections to Denver/Boulder area you could always get it from GULC. You can't say the same about going to CU and trying to get DC jobs.



I seriously doubt the bolded is that low. CU probably does as well in it's own market at GULC does in DC. I do agree though that GULC to CO would be way easier than CU to DC.

It also depends on how you define "good job."



Are you joking me? Check NLJ250 placement numbers. While I understand the OP didn't mention biglaw, but NLJ250 numbers usually represents how well a school places. Keep in mind that midlaw and good PI jobs are just as hard to get as biglaw.



Oddly enough, the numbers on this page --LinkRemoved-- (probably forced by Prof. Campos) indicate somewhere between a 70-80% full time long term JD required job holders at 9 months from CU.

So, yeah, WAY above 10-15%.

NLJ250 doesn't do much out west for one thing, and for another, even if we halved the above numbers for egregious lying, it is till more than double the numbers you gave. So unless by "good job" you mean one that pays above $150K, you were way off.

Also, midlaw is pretty much the majority of their employment, from my understanding, and furthermore good PI jobs aren't that impossible to get, unless you mean PI jobs that pay more than 45K a year to start.

tl;dr: you are wrong

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: Colorado ($$) vs GULC (Sticker)

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:16 am

He already made up his mind. GULC showed the money and for the job I think he would prefer GULC is the right call.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], black lab and 5 guests