ND (sticker) vs. Emory ($$$) vs. UF (in-state) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kareemary

New

ND (sticker) vs. Emory ($$$) vs. UF (in-state)

Post by kareemary » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:03 pm

Hello, forum perusers! Hoping for some input on my decision :)

No interest in biglaw, want to work in human rights/public interest/etc. Minimal connections in Central Florida from internships, but not sure if I want to stay in Florida longterm. UF was my safety school. Little geographic preference, I am more concerned in choosing a school whose degree will bear the same weight in 30 years that it does now. Do not have the LSAT for a T14. Not particularly inclined towards debt but willing to invest in my future nonetheless.

That being said...
Notre Dame - sticker
Emory - $20,000/year scholarship
UF - in-state tuition

Thank you!

romothesavior

Diamond

Re: ND (sticker) vs. Emory ($$$) vs. UF (in-state)

Post by romothesavior » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:10 pm

kareemary wrote:I am more concerned in choosing a school whose degree will bear the same weight in 30 years that it does now.
None of these schools are these kinds of schools. There are only a few schools (HYS, to a lesser degree CCN, and maybe MVP) that are "forever impressive." Almost all degrees are about getting you your first job. I mean, yeah I'm sure the value of the degree in 30 years isn't zero, and alumni networks may be helpful and all that, but your accomplishments and reputation as an attorney are going to be what helps you down the road. Future value of the degree is not important enough for you to make it your biggest factor in picking a school.

You also say you don't have the LSAT for a T14. Best way to remedy that is to take a year off and retake. Barring that, I'm leaning towards Emory or UF.

rad lulz

Platinum

Re: ND (sticker) vs. Emory ($$$) vs. UF (in-state)

Post by rad lulz » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:19 pm

Return to “Choosing a Law School”