UT vs GULC

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
wolf

UT vs GULC

Postby wolf » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:21 pm

Last edited by wolf on Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Re: UT vs GULC

Postby bk1 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:30 pm

Seems like a good rationale for GULC. You have an LRAP-qualifying safety net and (I'm assuming) GULC's LRAP trumps UT's. My feeling is that UT isn't substantially better than GULC for Southern markets (I could be wrong and if I was that would be a decent reason for UT).

I guess the other thing I could think of was whether Austin trumped DC in schools for your daughter or employment opportunities for your wife (I have no idea if it does, but it's something I would consider).

Postby 20160810 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:32 pm

COL in Austin v. COL in DC
Two schools of roughly equivalent quality
Austin being the cooler place to live with better weather
In-state tuition at UT?
No real interest in working in DC/NYC?

This one would be a no-brainer for me. Go to UT.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:35 pm

SBL wrote:COL in Austin v. COL in DC
Two schools of roughly equivalent quality
Austin being the cooler place to live with better weather
In-state tuition at UT?
No real interest in working in DC/NYC?

This one would be a no-brainer for me. Go to UT.

This except for the LRAP should be a real consideration. I would find out from GULC to make sure you're understanding the LRAP correctly and also I don't know if they would release this to you but how likely is it that the LRAP is going to be around long enough for you to really benefit from it?

wolf

Postby wolf » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:12 pm

Last edited by wolf on Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:18 pm

wolf wrote:
bk1 wrote:Seems like a good rationale for GULC. You have an LRAP-qualifying safety net and (I'm assuming) GULC's LRAP trumps UT's. My feeling is that UT isn't substantially better than GULC for Southern markets (I could be wrong and if I was that would be a decent reason for UT).

I guess the other thing I could think of was whether Austin trumped DC in schools for your daughter or employment opportunities for your wife (I have no idea if it does, but it's something I would consider).

My daughter is only six months old, so schools are not really in the picture. My wife is an accountant so I would think her employment prospects are similar in both places.

UT is definitely cheaper than GULC. I am not averse to working in DC. I would just prefer to work in Texas or the Southeast. I personally think Austin is cooler than DC, but I have never lived in DC so I don't really know for sure.

Would GULC put me at a disadvantage for Texas biglaw, or are they peer schools and with Texas ties I will be competitive with a similar class rank at both schools?

Thanks for the responses guys. I am just looking to hedge my bets if I strike out at Biglaw. It will be tough to live on a ADA's salary with a 100K debt from UT. If I get biglaw from GULC I probably paid 100K more for it though.

Because of your Texas ties, going to GULC is a lot less risky for you if you want TX biglaw. (Someone from, say, Minnesota who goes to GULC and applies to TX firms is going to have a hard time and probably need sweet grades. Someone from TX can go to GULC and firms will not have trouble believing that TX is where that person wants to work - less skepticism means it's easier to get hired. Then again, super anecdotally, I have a buddy from CA who went to GULC and now does biglawl in TX, so anything is possible). That said, my guess is there isn't a lot of daylight between the two if you're looking to work for TX firms.

And FWIW, living on an ADA's salary in most major cities with 100K in student debt, assuming your wife works too, is entirely plausible. The hard part is getting hired by a broke DA's office these days, not living on the paycheck.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:26 pm

wolf wrote:Thanks for the responses guys. I am just looking to hedge my bets if I strike out at Biglaw. It will be tough to live on a ADA's salary with a 100K debt from UT. If I get biglaw from GULC I probably paid 100K more for it though.

I do think it's important that it would definitely take you longer to pay back your debts coming from GULC than coming from UT.

wolf

Postby wolf » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:23 pm

Thanks guys!

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:49 pm

Texas

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:57 pm

wolf wrote:Would GULC put me at a disadvantage for Texas biglaw, or are they peer schools and with Texas ties I will be competitive with a similar class rank at both schools?

UT student here. I think UT would give you an advantage for biglaw in Texas. Not a major difference though. (And if any GULC students think that is wrong, I'm all for hearing what y'all think.)

I will say that there might be an interesting trade-off between the two schools. There really is no question that 2L OCI will be much more convenient for you. All the Texas firms will come to you and you will be able to do screening interviews with up to 25 different Texas firms. I don't know how many Texas firms come to GULC's OCI, but there really is no comparison.

BUT, it actually might be easier to land a 1L summer clerkship from GULC if you hustle. UT students land their fair share of 1L biglaw gigs, but I think T14 people with ties have a unique advantage: UT 1L's will do spring OCI in like February. People from out of state can line up interviews at firm offices while they are home in Texas for winterbreak. I know a couple of people who have landed 1L summers at top Texas biglaw firms from MVP basically w/o grades (or, rather, they did their interviews before the firms had their grades and if the firm likes them the grades don't matter nearly as much). Grades will matter much, much more for UT people b/c for them to even land a screening interview for spring OCI they need to have pretty good grades.

All that said, I don't think the 1L biglaw bump should be given too much weight. If texas biglaw is your goal and the two schools are UT (instate) and GULC at sticker, I think this is a pretty easy choice. I understand being risk averse, but I'm not sure 100k is worth the nicer safety net. Especially because that 100k is going to be more than that, depending on how fast you pay off your debt.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:24 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:52 pm

rad lulz wrote:Just incidentally, without solid ties to some Southern markets, the only ones you have a realistic shot at from UT or GULC are ATL (with noice grades), and maybe a Birmingham hail mary, because they need bodies (but they seem to prefer UVA/Duke/and Vanderbilt). Too many small parochial markets.

i agree with this.

wolf

Postby wolf » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:37 pm

Return to “Choosing a Law School”