Berkeley vs. Northwestern

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
KingLeo1

Berkeley vs. Northwestern

Postby KingLeo1 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:33 pm

Hey Everyone,

So I have narrowed my choices down to two schools for enrollment in the fall, Berkeley and Northwestern. I have a way that I am leaning towards. I just wanted to hear there peoples thoughts on the decision between the two.

Background: I am an AA male from Philadelphia. I want to practice in NY, DC, ATL, but I wouldn't mind being in CA or CHI. I doubled majored in undegrad as a Criminal Justice and Psychology dual major. I believe I want to due Big Law but I know I won't truly know until I gain some experience. I am not focused on the money at this point. Just seeking some opinions on which is the better choice of the two.

Thanks In Advance.

kwais

Re: Berkeley vs. Northwestern

Postby kwais » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:37 pm

If the money is similar, I'd choose Berkeley. It is a beautiful place to live. I believe that neither are NY/DC powerhouses but neither preclude the option. Congrats and good luck

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:38 pm

KingLeo1 wrote:Hey Everyone,

So I have narrowed my choices down to two schools for enrollment in the fall, Berkeley and Northwestern. I have a way that I am leaning towards. I just wanted to hear there peoples thoughts on the decision between the two.

Background: I am an AA male from Philadelphia. I want to practice in NY, DC, ATL, but I wouldn't mind being in CA or CHI. I doubled majored in undegrad as a Criminal Justice and Psychology dual major. I believe I want to due Big Law but I know I won't truly know until I gain some experience. I am not focused on the money at this point. Just seeking some opinions on which is the better choice of the two.

Thanks In Advance.

No Cornell or Penn?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:41 pm

Probably Northwestern since you are open to NYC, Chicago & DC. Neither school is strong in Atlanta.
As for setting, Northwestern is easily among the top 5 law schools in the nation.

Are you paying sticker price at each school ?

P.S. One caveat: Are your numbers low for each school ? If so, go to Berkeley since grading/class rank is much easier than at NU.

KingLeo1

Postby KingLeo1 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:50 pm

No Cornell or Penn?[/quote]

I was wait listed at Penn and couldn't apply to Cornell because of money.

KingLeo1

Postby KingLeo1 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:52 pm

I have similar scholarships at both and my GPA is above the median but my LSAT is below the median at both.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:53 pm

You'll have a much easier time at Berkeley, in my opinion. The environments are quite different.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jtc2012

Postby jtc2012 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:55 pm

There really isn't much difference between the two at all in terms of prestige. You should start thinking about which school has the concentrations, clinics, journals & courses that suit your academic and possible career interests. If both schools interest you, think about Chicago versus San Fransisco; which city better suits you as a person? Congratulations!!!

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:57 pm

Neither school has an advantage in DC or NY, and as has already been mentioned, without ties, Atl is gonna be tough to crack. So, go with whichever school gives more money and offers a better environment

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:58 pm

Are "ties" important in NYC or DC ? I may be wrong, but Northwestern should be much stronger than Berkeley in these two locations.

KingLeo1

Postby KingLeo1 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:07 pm

I have a close relationship with a hiring manager at a large firm in ATL as a tie. I don't have as strong ties in NY and DC, but I do have some contacts.

I really appreciate the perspective everyone is giving. Thanks a ton everyone.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:17 pm

KingLeo1 wrote:I have a close relationship with a hiring manager at a large firm in ATL as a tie. I don't have as strong ties in NY and DC, but I do have some contacts.

I really appreciate the perspective everyone is giving. Thanks a ton everyone.
Not that kind of tie. Might help some, but ties means more along the lines of "I grew up in Buckhead" or "I'm from northern GA but want to practice in a big city and Chattanooga isn't one even though it's closer." ATL's rough, lots of people from lots of great schools who are originally from the city and nearby that are trying to get back.

KingLeo1

Postby KingLeo1 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:19 pm

No, I do not have any ties in that context.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:21 pm

Pick your preference if they are similar cost, imo. Their respective regional reputations (Berkeley in CA and NU in Chicago) aren't that importance since you'll be gunning NYC/DC anyways (and both schools are likely going to have an easier time getting you NYC than anything).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”