Uconn VS Cardozo

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

which school should I attend?

Cardozo( full scholarship )
13
62%
Uconn (full Scholarship )
8
38%
 
Total votes: 21

gilkile
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:06 pm

Uconn VS Cardozo

Postby gilkile » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:43 am

I am in the process of deciding which full scholarship to accept. I'll be visiting both schools this week. I have my own Pro's and Con's List, but I'd love any and every bit of information I can get on these schools so I can make the best decision!

Which school would you choose? Why?
which school has better regional job prospects?
Which school would it be easier to graduate top of class?
Does anyone know if either of these schools section stack?
Or any relevant info about either school would be really helpful!

Thanks in advance.

checkster
Posts: 348
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:29 pm

Re: Uconn VS Cardozo

Postby checkster » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:45 am

Might I ask why you limited yourself to these 2 options? 3.9 and 165+ should give you a great shot at higher schools than these with $, are you dead-set against taking out loans?

gilkile
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: Uconn VS Cardozo

Postby gilkile » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:48 am

checkster wrote:Might I ask why you limited yourself to these 2 options? 3.9 and 165+ should give you a great shot at higher schools than these with $, are you dead-set against taking out loans?

I applied Late Jan. So the way my options shaped up, I have all these full scholly offers, but got waitlisted at UCLA, penn , NW, GULC, UVA, Fordham. didn't hear from Cornell yet

User avatar
iceicebaby
Posts: 272
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:31 pm

Re: Uconn VS Cardozo

Postby iceicebaby » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:51 am

Unless you're cool with being in CT the rest of your life (I'm from there so there's totally nothing wrong with that), I would go with Cardozo. UConn does not place in big firms and does not really have a draw in New York City or Boston unless you're one of the top 10 people in the class with solid connections. Also, CT's legal market is very weak currently and I'm not so sure it's going to become more robust anytime soon.

What stips are on the schollys?

gilkile
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: Uconn VS Cardozo

Postby gilkile » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:55 am

iceicebaby wrote:Unless you're cool with being in CT the rest of your life (I'm from there so there's totally nothing wrong with that), I would go with Cardozo. UConn does not place in big firms and does not really have a draw in New York City or Boston unless you're one of the top 10 people in the class with solid connections. Also, CT's legal market is very weak currently and I'm not so sure it's going to become more robust anytime soon.

What stips are on the schollys?

3.0 at uconn- which is aprox. Top 75%
Top 80% at Cardozo
I have lived in Ct for a number of years and I'm fine with either region.
NYC definitely has better jobs... but Cardozo placement isn't too strong.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Uconn VS Cardozo

Postby dingbat » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:58 am

I'd choose UConn unless you really want to be in NYC.
It's a lifestyle choice, really

User avatar
iceicebaby
Posts: 272
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:31 pm

Re: Uconn VS Cardozo

Postby iceicebaby » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:18 am

dingbat wrote:I'd choose UConn unless you really want to be in NYC.
It's a lifestyle choice, really


Yeah, totally agree with this. I've lived in both places the past 2-3 years working at law firms and my CT firm is way more chill but pays a lot less than NYC firms. I will say that you can't replicate the life (and debt) you can have living in NYC. My boss who is a top partner at my CT firm (which is one of the largest in CT) explicitly said that having NYC legal experience can trump a lot of other factors when they look to hire people. Take it from me, I was able to land a job requiring 5+ years of experience here after only spending a year at a firm in Manhattan. You can go from NYC to anywhere in the region, but you can't necessarily go from CT to NYC with a UConn JD.

Cardozo may not place well when compared to other schools in the area, but the quality and quantity of the opportunities available far surpasses those in CT. Still, I agree that it is really a lifestyle choice and you just have to know what you want to do with your legal career and where you want to practice.

User avatar
thexfactor
Posts: 1277
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:40 am

Re: Uconn VS Cardozo

Postby thexfactor » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:22 am

gilkile wrote:
checkster wrote:Might I ask why you limited yourself to these 2 options? 3.9 and 165+ should give you a great shot at higher schools than these with $, are you dead-set against taking out loans?

I applied Late Jan. So the way my options shaped up, I have all these full scholly offers, but got waitlisted at UCLA, penn , NW, GULC, UVA, Fordham. didn't hear from Cornell yet


You should sit out this cycle. Since you should sit out this cycle, you might as well retake. If you apply next cycle I am almost 100% sure you will at least get 1 T14.

You should not be going to any of those two schools. Both schools will only gives you a 20% chance at getting a decent job.

Since you have a great gpa and a good LSAT score you could get much better odds.

I would rather go to a T14 sticker vs cardozo full scholarship.

gilkile
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: Uconn VS Cardozo

Postby gilkile » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:26 am

iceicebaby wrote:
dingbat wrote:I'd choose UConn unless you really want to be in NYC.
It's a lifestyle choice, really


Yeah, totally agree with this. I've lived in both places the past 2-3 years working at law firms and my CT firm is way more chill but pays a lot less than NYC firms. I will say that you can't replicate the life (and debt) you can have living in NYC. My boss who is a top partner at my CT firm (which is one of the largest in CT) explicitly said that having NYC legal experience can trump a lot of other factors when they look to hire people. Take it from me, I was able to land a job requiring 5+ years of experience here after only spending a year at a firm in Manhattan. You can go from NYC to anywhere in the region, but you can't necessarily go from CT to NYC with a UConn JD.

Cardozo may not place well when compared to other schools in the area, but the quality and quantity of the opportunities available far surpasses those in CT. Still, I agree that it is really a lifestyle choice and you just have to know what you want to do with your legal career and where you want to practice.


Interesting, so would you recommend first getting some NYC experience, even if theoretically I had picked CT over NYC long term?

gilkile
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: Uconn VS Cardozo

Postby gilkile » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:29 am

thexfactor wrote:
gilkile wrote:
checkster wrote:Might I ask why you limited yourself to these 2 options? 3.9 and 165+ should give you a great shot at higher schools than these with $, are you dead-set against taking out loans?

I applied Late Jan. So the way my options shaped up, I have all these full scholly offers, but got waitlisted at UCLA, penn , NW, GULC, UVA, Fordham. didn't hear from Cornell yet


You should sit out this cycle. Since you should sit out this cycle, you might as well retake. If you apply next cycle I am almost 100% sure you will at least get 1 T14.

You should not be going to any of those two schools. Both schools will only gives you a 20% chance at getting a decent job.

Since you have a great gpa and a good LSAT score you could get much better odds.

I would rather go to a T14 sticker vs cardozo full scholarship.


I already have 1 re-take, and I'm not sitting out the cycle... I want the flexibility to not "need" Big-Law.

User avatar
thexfactor
Posts: 1277
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:40 am

Re: Uconn VS Cardozo

Postby thexfactor » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:46 am

gilkile wrote:
thexfactor wrote:
gilkile wrote:
checkster wrote:Might I ask why you limited yourself to these 2 options? 3.9 and 165+ should give you a great shot at higher schools than these with $, are you dead-set against taking out loans?

I applied Late Jan. So the way my options shaped up, I have all these full scholly offers, but got waitlisted at UCLA, penn , NW, GULC, UVA, Fordham. didn't hear from Cornell yet


You should sit out this cycle. Since you should sit out this cycle, you might as well retake. If you apply next cycle I am almost 100% sure you will at least get 1 T14.

You should not be going to any of those two schools. Both schools will only gives you a 20% chance at getting a decent job.

Since you have a great gpa and a good LSAT score you could get much better odds.

I would rather go to a T14 sticker vs cardozo full scholarship.


I already have 1 re-take, and I'm not sitting out the cycle... I want the flexibility to not "need" Big-Law.


What are your goals?

Just to let you know that "midlaw" jobs/ good PI/ Fed jobs are just as hard to get as biglaw jobs. There is a very high chance (~70+%) that you will be dissapointed if you go to Cardozo or Uconn.

gilkile
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: Uconn VS Cardozo

Postby gilkile » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:01 pm

checkster wrote:Might I ask why you limited yourself to these 2 options? 3.9 and 165+ should give you a great shot at higher schools than these with $, are you dead-set against taking out loans?

I applied Late Jan. So the way my options shaped up, I have all these full scholly offers, but got waitlisted at UCLA, penn , NW, GULC, UVA, Fordham. didn't hear from Cornell yet[/quote]

You should sit out this cycle. Since you should sit out this cycle, you might as well retake. If you apply next cycle I am almost 100% sure you will at least get 1 T14.

You should not be going to any of those two schools. Both schools will only gives you a 20% chance at getting a decent job.

Since you have a great gpa and a good LSAT score you could get much better odds.

I would rather go to a T14 sticker vs cardozo full scholarship.[/quote]

I already have 1 re-take, and I'm not sitting out the cycle... I want the flexibility to not "need" Big-Law.[/quote]

What are your goals?

Just to let you know that "midlaw" jobs/ good PI/ Fed jobs are just as hard to get as biglaw jobs. There is a very high chance (~70+%) that you will be dissapointed if you go to Cardozo or Uconn.[/quote]
Thanks but the decision to go this route was already made for me due to my circumstances.

bmore
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Uconn VS Cardozo

Postby bmore » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:06 pm

Nooooo. Sit out. Retake. Do not waste that GPA. Those stips are no good. Flame????

josh43299
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:29 pm

Re: Uconn VS Cardozo

Postby josh43299 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:24 pm

I would choose UConn, but that is because I love New England and due to the COL in NYC. But as others have said, this is a lifestyle choice.

josh43299
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:29 pm

Re: Uconn VS Cardozo

Postby josh43299 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:29 pm

bmore wrote:Nooooo. Sit out. Retake. Do not waste that GPA. Those stips are no good. Flame????


Being in the top 75% at UConn or top 80% are not bad stips, as far as stips go. If you are not in the top 75% at either of these schools, the rational move would be to drop out, even with the scholarship (unless your family had a job lined up or something).

gilkile
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: Uconn VS Cardozo

Postby gilkile » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:56 pm

josh43299 wrote:
bmore wrote:Nooooo. Sit out. Retake. Do not waste that GPA. Those stips are no good. Flame????


Being in the top 75% at UConn or top 80% are not bad stips, as far as stips go. If you are not in the top 75% at either of these schools, the rational move would be to drop out, even with the scholarship (unless your family had a job lined up or something).


Thanks man I was going to respond to the guy word for word what you just said.

User avatar
iceicebaby
Posts: 272
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:31 pm

Re: Uconn VS Cardozo

Postby iceicebaby » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:10 pm

Full scholly mitigates the risk associated with trying to find employment in the legal industry imho, and I think those stips are very easy to meet. What would be your living situation at each school and will you receive help for any COL? If your COL is covered by anything other than loans (i.e. your parents), then I would choose Cardozo with all things being equal. If you have to take out loans for COL, then it is something to consider and UConn is a bit better all things being equal. Plus, you have to go visit the schools to get a feel for them because they are drastically different.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Uconn VS Cardozo

Postby romothesavior » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:11 pm

UCONN probably wins this one, but I think you would be really squandering your great GPA (and solid LSAT) if you didn't do a full cycle and do it the right way. I think you should consider retaking in June/September, but even if you don't, you should hold off a year and do a full cycle.

josh43299
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:29 pm

Re: Uconn VS Cardozo

Postby josh43299 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:16 pm

gilkile wrote:
josh43299 wrote:
bmore wrote:Nooooo. Sit out. Retake. Do not waste that GPA. Those stips are no good. Flame????


Being in the top 75% at UConn or top 80% are not bad stips, as far as stips go. If you are not in the top 75% at either of these schools, the rational move would be to drop out, even with the scholarship (unless your family had a job lined up or something).


Thanks man I was going to respond to the guy word for word what you just said.


:lol: I feel like some people have needed to say "Retake! Stips Bad! Flame! GPA high!" that they no longer think. For the vast majority of people who ask questions regarding these schools, retake is the reasonable response, since they are looking at 120k+ in debt from either.

From what I have read, opinions are mixed on Cardozo section stacking and the incentive to do so wouldn't be there because they are getting rid of their harsh stipulations they used to attach (I think it used to be top 50% for almost all of them). Section stacking would be counterproductive with stipulations like this in the long run. As far as UConn the vast majority of scholarships are non-renewable except for the 12 or so full rides they give out, so stacking the sections would not really seem to serve much of a purpose there either.

User avatar
iceicebaby
Posts: 272
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:31 pm

Re: Uconn VS Cardozo

Postby iceicebaby » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:17 pm

romothesavior wrote:UCONN probably wins this one, but I think you would be really squandering your great GPA (and solid LSAT) if you didn't do a full cycle and do it the right way. I think you should consider retaking in June/September, but even if you don't, you should hold off a year and do a full cycle.


Yeah, OP, I mean if you can swing it, maybe you should try doing this. Romo is right, you could be looking at some seriously top-notch schools if you play it right. With that said, I still think you have solid options if you choose to go this fall instead of next fall.

gilkile
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: Uconn VS Cardozo

Postby gilkile » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:22 pm

iceicebaby wrote:Full scholly mitigates the risk associated with trying to find employment in the legal industry imho, and I think those stips are very easy to meet. What would be your living situation at each school and will you receive help for any COL? If your COL is covered by anything other than loans (i.e. your parents), then I would choose Cardozo with all things being equal. If you have to take out loans for COL, then it is something to consider and UConn is a bit better all things being equal. Plus, you have to go visit the schools to get a feel for them because they are drastically different.

I'll be visiting both this week. If I were to go to cardozo COL would be free ( parents ) But if I were in CT I would need to take out minimal loans. I also may get some COL help from Uconn....

gilkile
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: Uconn VS Cardozo

Postby gilkile » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:25 pm

josh43299 wrote:
gilkile wrote:
josh43299 wrote:
bmore wrote:Nooooo. Sit out. Retake. Do not waste that GPA. Those stips are no good. Flame????


Being in the top 75% at UConn or top 80% are not bad stips, as far as stips go. If you are not in the top 75% at either of these schools, the rational move would be to drop out, even with the scholarship (unless your family had a job lined up or something).


Thanks man I was going to respond to the guy word for word what you just said.


:lol: I feel like some people have needed to say "Retake! Stips Bad! Flame! GPA high!" that they no longer think. For the vast majority of people who ask questions regarding these schools, retake is the reasonable response, since they are looking at 120k+ in debt from either.

From what I have read, opinions are mixed on Cardozo section stacking and the incentive to do so wouldn't be there because they are getting rid of their harsh stipulations they used to attach (I think it used to be top 50% for almost all of them). Section stacking would be counterproductive with stipulations like this in the long run. As far as UConn the vast majority of scholarships are non-renewable except for the 12 or so full rides they give out, so stacking the sections would not really seem to serve much of a purpose there either.


This yr they are giving out 30 renewable full scholarships, and they are adding a 3rd section. It gets me a little suspicious. They are trying to move up in the rankings so maybe they are being more generous.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Uconn VS Cardozo

Postby romothesavior » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:27 pm

gilkile wrote:
iceicebaby wrote:Full scholly mitigates the risk associated with trying to find employment in the legal industry imho, and I think those stips are very easy to meet. What would be your living situation at each school and will you receive help for any COL? If your COL is covered by anything other than loans (i.e. your parents), then I would choose Cardozo with all things being equal. If you have to take out loans for COL, then it is something to consider and UConn is a bit better all things being equal. Plus, you have to go visit the schools to get a feel for them because they are drastically different.

I'll be visiting both this week. If I were to go to cardozo COL would be free ( parents ) But if I were in CT I would need to take out minimal loans. I also may get some COL help from Uconn....

In this case, I change my previous post to say Cardozo, but please consider taking a year off.

User avatar
iceicebaby
Posts: 272
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:31 pm

Re: Uconn VS Cardozo

Postby iceicebaby » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:33 pm

romothesavior wrote:
gilkile wrote:
iceicebaby wrote:Full scholly mitigates the risk associated with trying to find employment in the legal industry imho, and I think those stips are very easy to meet. What would be your living situation at each school and will you receive help for any COL? If your COL is covered by anything other than loans (i.e. your parents), then I would choose Cardozo with all things being equal. If you have to take out loans for COL, then it is something to consider and UConn is a bit better all things being equal. Plus, you have to go visit the schools to get a feel for them because they are drastically different.

I'll be visiting both this week. If I were to go to cardozo COL would be free ( parents ) But if I were in CT I would need to take out minimal loans. I also may get some COL help from Uconn....

In this case, I change my previous post to say Cardozo, but please consider taking a year off.


TITCR.

GokartMozart315
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:29 pm

Re: Uconn VS Cardozo

Postby GokartMozart315 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:46 pm

i find it strange that so many people suggest sitting out a law school cycle and retaking. most people aren't just going to put off their next career move for another year; if you're applying to law school that's likely your life plan, and you clearly aren't pleased with the status quo. delaying for a year is a very extreme move; i think for most people, myself included, you're going to go with the best option among the schools you have, and that's all there is to say about it




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Screech Owl and 5 guests