$$$ or Rank? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Legalady

New

$$$ or Rank?

Post by Legalady » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:42 am

OK guys, here's the deal..

I did alright on the LSAT's (broke 160) but my GPA is dismal. I utilized a bunch of the fee waivers, and ended up applying to 28 schools. So far, I've been rejected from 1, in at over 20 and waiting until the end of the month for the rest.

Made it into the top 50, got some $$ in T2 and a couple of full rides (just tuition though- not living expenses, books, etc..) at the bottom of the spectrum. It seems my scores are good enough to get me in a lot of places, but not great enough to SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!

Given the current job market, it seems that the better the schools, the better the job opportunities will be. That being said, I may not want to work 20 years for those job opportunities, and that only seems like an option IF I'm even lucky enough to get a full-time J.D. requiring job (which at some schools - the prospects seem dismal - and most in T2 are running around 50% :(

Any insight from those who are currently or have encountered this predicament is greatly appreciated!

romothesavior

Diamond

Re: $$$ or Rank?

Post by romothesavior » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:51 am

I think you have identified all the issues here. I don't think any non public schools in the T50 are worth sticker. Taking a school at sticker over a full ride normally only makes sense when the sticker school is a T14. The difference between your sticker school and your full ride just isn't big enough to make six figures of debt worth it for a low chance of getting a job that will allow you to effectively pay off the debt. I'd try to go to a somewhat reputable school in your home market for cheap, or retake.

Mind sharing what schools we're working with? Where are you from, where are your ties, what are your goals with a law degree?

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Re: $$$ or Rank?

Post by PolySuyGuy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:50 pm

Legalady wrote:OK guys, here's the deal..

I did alright on the LSAT's (broke 160) but my GPA is dismal. I utilized a bunch of the fee waivers, and ended up applying to 28 schools. So far, I've been rejected from 1, in at over 20 and waiting until the end of the month for the rest.

Made it into the top 50, got some $$ in T2 and a couple of full rides (just tuition though- not living expenses, books, etc..) at the bottom of the spectrum. It seems my scores are good enough to get me in a lot of places, but not great enough to SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!

Given the current job market, it seems that the better the schools, the better the job opportunities will be. That being said, I may not want to work 20 years for those job opportunities, and that only seems like an option IF I'm even lucky enough to get a full-time J.D. requiring job (which at some schools - the prospects seem dismal - and most in T2 are running around 50% :(

Any insight from those who are currently or have encountered this predicament is greatly appreciated!
Do a cost analysis and determine if you are OK with that amount of debt for that long of a time. Or get an angry and fat white man to call you a "slut" and a "prostitute" and hit the talking circuit after that.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”