Colorado schools not treating me right

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
robocall12

Colorado schools not treating me right

Postby robocall12 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:44 am

Hello all,

Looking for a little advice. I am waitlisted at both of my in-state schools in CO. I am not getting any younger, and already put off law school for a year to re-take, so I do not intend to delay further. I have apps in to all/most of the schools in neighboring states. Where would you go if you wanted to possibly return to Colorado down the road. Kansas, New Mexico, Utah, etc.... I have been accepted at Missouri so far. Let me know your thoughts. Thx.

fundamentallybroken

Re: Colorado schools not treating me right

Postby fundamentallybroken » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:50 am

Depends on your numbers. However, if they aren't enough to get in to either CO school (have you tried LOCIs yet?), and you really want to stay in CO, I'd say defer for yet another year and retake (again.) Law school isn't going anywhere; it will wait for you.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:52 am

fundamentallybroken wrote:Depends on your numbers. However, if they aren't enough to get in to either CO school (have you tried LOCIs yet?), and you really want to stay in CO, I'd say defer for yet another year and retake (again.) Law school isn't going anywhere; it will wait for you.

Seems solid.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:55 am

Numbers?

Try a letter of continued interest and be prepared to wait till the end of the summer and pay sticker.

robocall12

Postby robocall12 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:08 am

I have sent LOCI's, and will continue to try to get off of the waitlists. I may hang around in CO into the summer to see if I can get off of the waitlists. Already visited both schools. Sticker is not a problem, though it may make me think twice about DU. Then again, CU in-state is so ridiculous these days its not too much more to go to DU. CU must have the law school subsidizing the rest of the campus or something (this is a joke). But, I do intend to go this year, and will not wait another year. I am getting wrinkles as I type this, so cannot afford another year of playing this horrible waiting around game. If I go OOS I will be happy to practice in the state where I pursue my studies, but may want to return to Colorado after a few years of experience (this is god's country). I am leaning toward Utah if I can get in. Maybe it just doesn't matter and I need to choose based on location and how well my family will like the surrounding area. Just looking to hear other angles on the choices I will be making so I can gain the widest perspective.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:11 am

If you don't get in off the wait list then I'd plan on working in the state of your selected school for at least 5-8 years. Pick someplace you like.

FWIW, U of Wyoming usually puts a few people in CO a year. I know the DA of Ft. Collins is a Wyoming grad...

robocall12

Postby robocall12 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:24 am

I didn't apply to Wyoming as I didn't think I could handle 3 years in Laramie. But, I probably should have. It does seem like there are WY grads in CO, especially the northern counties of Larimer and Weld. I have apps in to UU, KU, UNM. Why do you say 5-8 yrs is the necessary level of experience before moving back to my home state? Is this what you understand that hiring firms are looking for? I don't have a problem with that time frame, but would like to understand how you got that information. Thx.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:25 am

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:If you don't get in off the wait list then I'd plan on working in the state of your selected school for at least 5-8 years. Pick someplace you like.

FWIW, U of Wyoming usually puts a few people in CO a year. I know the DA of Ft. Collins is a Wyoming grad...

I was going to suggest Wyoming, but it's hard to recommend a school outside of the T100, even if someone is tied to a region.

Also, Laramie is so god-awfully windy all the time (I say as I listen to the wind whipping around my house right now...)

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:30 am

Also.. south eastern Wyoming sucks.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”