brooklyn vs usd vs cardozo vs temple

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which offer?

Brooklyn (20k/yr) 3.0 stip
11%
Cardozo (18k/yr) 3.0 stip
61%
Temple (7500/yr) 3.0 stip
6%
USD (23k/yr) 3.0 stip
22%

Total votes: 18

mmhmmjc

brooklyn vs usd vs cardozo vs temple

Postby mmhmmjc » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:59 pm

Which choice seems to be the best choice? I do have connections in NY but not in San Diego. I do currently live in Orange county though, if that makes any of a difference. I wouldn't mind living and practicing in any of the cities these schools are located at. I have no idea at this point and the deposit dates are coming up so I'll appreciate any input. Thanks guys.

rad lulz

Re: brooklyn vs usd vs cardozo vs temple

Postby rad lulz » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:11 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mmhmmjc

Postby mmhmmjc » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:27 pm

already took a year off, so i am not going to retake.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:28 pm

TLSwag

Postby TLSwag » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:37 pm

rad lulz wrote:
mmhmmjc wrote:already took a year off, so i am not going to retake.

I'd retake. This is your future you're about to gamble with. Emphasis on the gamble.

Haha rad lulz is never afraid to be blunt, from what I have seen. I will say I do agree with him to some extent, but I understand sometimes people want honest advice on the decisions they have; just realize you are posting for advice on a forum/blog that is mostly comprised of elitist 0L's. More information could be helpful - what are your numbers? what are you interested in pursuing after law school? If you want NY, realize that aint happening with USD, there is a MASSIVE difference between these schools, i.e. with USD you can forget about practicing outside of California (I bet someone follows with a "forget about practicing in California" haha). You state you wouldn't mind living/practicing in any of these areas, but I think you really need to make a decision on which you prefer if you are really going to decide on one of these schools prior to seat deposits. But really Cardozo and Brooklyn, again depending on what you want to do/where you want to practice, may not be the WORST options...

mmhmmjc

Postby mmhmmjc » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:56 pm

TLSwag wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

I'd retake. This is your future you're about to gamble with. Emphasis on the gamble.

Haha rad lulz is never afraid to be blunt, from what I have seen. I will say I do agree with him to some extent, but I understand sometimes people want honest advice on the decisions they have; just realize you are posting for advice on a forum/blog that is mostly comprised of elitist 0L's. More information could be helpful - what are your numbers? what are you interested in pursuing after law school? If you want NY, realize that aint happening with USD, there is a MASSIVE difference between these schools, i.e. with USD you can forget about practicing outside of California (I bet someone follows with a "forget about practicing in California" haha). You state you wouldn't mind living/practicing in any of these areas, but I think you really need to make a decision on which you prefer if you are really going to decide on one of these schools prior to seat deposits. But really Cardozo and Brooklyn, again depending on what you want to do/where you want to practice, may not be the WORST options...

Thank you for your response. Yes I do know that all these schools are regional, but these are the options I currently have. Im just trying to make the best decision out of them. Of course I want big law, but i do realize that it is very difficult to attain within these schools. Currently, I am leaning towards wanting to practice IP law, in which Cardozo is ranked pretty highly according to the specialty rankings. However, it seems like these specially rankings don't really mean anything after reading through the forum. Should I be worried about Cardozo's slight fall in the rankings? Also, Brooklyn's recent legal troubles have made me a little more hesitant to attend their school. The USD deposit is April 1st, so I gotta make my decision pretty soon. Both San Diego and New York are amazing yet completely different places to live so I'll have a tough decision to make... I am also waiting to hear back from UIUC as well. (Been on hold since 1/9!)

Excellent117

Postby Excellent117 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:07 pm

1) What are the medians at these schools? (The 3.0 stips mean little unless referenced to a median).

2) Take a look at Law School Transparency to see the very real and very bleak employment prospects currently faced by these schools.

3) Where do you have significant ties?

4) How many times have you taken the LSAT? How long and how did you study for your LSAT prior to getting that 162?

5) Remember to look at the CoA (cost of attendance) instead of just the tuition for each school, as difference locations have very difference costs of living.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:04 pm

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:06 pm

Those are all very regional. Where do you want to work? If Philly, I'd go with Temple.

TLSwag

Postby TLSwag » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:20 pm

mmhmmjc wrote:
TLSwag wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Thank you for your response. Yes I do know that all these schools are regional, but these are the options I currently have. Im just trying to make the best decision out of them. Of course I want big law, but i do realize that it is very difficult to attain within these schools. Currently, I am leaning towards wanting to practice IP law, in which Cardozo is ranked pretty highly according to the specialty rankings. However, it seems like these specially rankings don't really mean anything after reading through the forum. Should I be worried about Cardozo's slight fall in the rankings? Also, Brooklyn's recent legal troubles have made me a little more hesitant to attend their school. The USD deposit is April 1st, so I gotta make my decision pretty soon. Both San Diego and New York are amazing yet completely different places to live so I'll have a tough decision to make... I am also waiting to hear back from UIUC as well. (Been on hold since 1/9!)

The drop in rankings is meaningless, as is everything with USNR, including specialty rankings (to some degree, i.e. you shouldn't decide on a school cuz its got a dope IP ranking but that being said, I'm sure Cardozo's IP faculty is relatively prestigious and could carry some minimal weight in employment). I wouldn't worry about any law school's legal troubles right now, seems to be a prevalent issue nation-wide (maybe NYC centric right now, but that's just for now...) and I don't think it would have any negative impact on employment placement. Your decision, as you concluded, should be based on where you think you will likely want to live... Personally, I would prefer Cardozo to Brooklyn given the similar scholarship but people would argue otherwise. Apples & oranges.

TLSwag

Postby TLSwag » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:22 pm

rad lulz wrote:
TLSwag wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Trying to get a legal job that will allow one to repay loans in a reasonable manner is horrible elitist.

Haha I wasn't calling you elitist, I even said I agree with you! I was just telling OP to be prepared for replies that may be of that nature...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”