UIUC vs. Wake Forest vs. Wisconsin Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Storm2012

New

UIUC vs. Wake Forest vs. Wisconsin

Post by Storm2012 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:48 pm

Long time lurker. Decision time is coming upon us, and I need help.

I'm from California. No ties anywhere else.

I've been accepted to various schools in CA, all tier 2. I know the legal market in CA is not very good, and going to a tier 2 may not be the wisest choice (none are UC).

Thus, I'm seriously considering UIUC, Wake Forest, and Wisconsin. Decent scholarship at all 3, so assume cost is approximately the same. Biglaw would be cool, I'd like it as an option, but I know none of these schools give me a terrific shot at it. After law school, I just want to have a job with a comfortable salary. I don't care about moving, or where I practice really. I'm fine with the midwest.

SO, which of these options would give me a shot at actually GETTING a job, and a nice salary at that? I'm worried that not having ties will affect me. Thanks in advance! (Also, no I'm not re-taking as I'm maxed out, so please assume these really are my ONLY options)

DaftAndDirect

Bronze

Re: UIUC vs. Wake Forest vs. Wisconsin

Post by DaftAndDirect » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:50 pm

Storm2012 wrote:Long time lurker. Decision time is coming upon us, and I need help.

I'm from California. No ties anywhere else.

I've been accepted to various schools in CA, all tier 2. I know the legal market in CA is not very good, and going to a tier 2 may not be the wisest choice (none are UC).

Thus, I'm seriously considering UIUC, Wake Forest, and Wisconsin. Decent scholarship at all 3, so assume cost is approximately the same. Biglaw would be cool, I'd like it as an option, but I know none of these schools give me a terrific shot at it. After law school, I just want to have a job with a comfortable salary. I don't care about moving, or where I practice really. I'm fine with the midwest.

SO, which of these options would give me a shot at actually GETTING a job, and a nice salary at that? I'm worried that not having ties will affect me. Thanks in advance! (Also, no I'm not re-taking as I'm maxed out, so please assume these really are my ONLY options)
You got in to all these schools w/ good money and don't have any T1 options in Cali?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:52 pm

Your best options as I see them:

1. Don't go. Work. Don't look back.
2. Don't go. Work. Retake. Go to Cali T1.
3. Go to UIUC, drop out if not in the top third (with maybe more wiggle room if you have a substantial scholarship).

Why are there no Cali T1s in the equation now?
Last edited by romothesavior on Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:54 pm

Where do you want to live & work after law school ? Wisconsin, Illinois or North Carolina ?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:54 pm

How much debt will you be taking out?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Storm2012

New

Post by Storm2012 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:01 pm

Thanks for all the responses so far, it is very much appreciated.

DECENT scholarships, not terrific. As cost various depending on school, tuition at each of these schools would be around $22,000/year for me. But I've worked for years, have the money saved and other sources to cover tuition, so tuition isn't really the problem here. Debt isn't a huge problem, thankfully.

I was waitlisted at some UCs, waiting on others currently, so no decent T1 options currently. But then again, I'm not dead set on staying in California by any means. I've lived abroad, traveled all over teh world, lived on the east coast for several years as a child...so I'm pretty mobile -- which actually makes this decision hard for me. I'm afraid schools will think I *really* just want to come back to CA, which isn't necessarily the case.

And for the question of where I want to work (Wisconsin, Illinois or North Carolina) -- again, I don't have an answer for that. I'd be happy anywhere. Yeah, this is tough.

I just want decent job options after law school.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:09 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaftAndDirect

Bronze

Post by DaftAndDirect » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:11 pm

OP what's your GPA/LSAT?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:15 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Storm2012 wrote:I just want decent job options after law school.
Job prospects are fairly blah. If you have a decent job, I'd stick with it until you can retake again.
I agree.

Of your current options, UIUC is the best one. It will have the best biglawl placement and the most reach to California. Still, I'd stick with your job (if you have one) and retake.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”