MSU full tuition v. ASU sticket v. USD some money

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
danicab
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:24 pm

MSU full tuition v. ASU sticket v. USD some money

Postby danicab » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:18 pm

I am at a loss and can't choose.

ASU, while great (and I do prefer a warmer climate) would run me about $170K.

USD gave me $18K and would still cost me around $180K. I have family all over California.

MSU, as I said, gave me a generous full tuition scholarship.

I am interested in tax law, if that makes any difference. I am fine with staying in any of these places, but does the scholarship with MSU outweigh the employment prospects there?

josh43299
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:29 pm

Re: MSU full tuition v. ASU sticket v. USD some money

Postby josh43299 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:23 pm

danicab wrote:I am at a loss and can't choose.

ASU, while great (and I do prefer a warmer climate) would run me about $170K.

USD gave me $18K and would still cost me around $180K. I have family all over California.

MSU, as I said, gave me a generous full tuition scholarship.

I am interested in tax law, if that makes any difference. I am fine with staying in any of these places, but does the scholarship with MSU outweigh the employment prospects there?


MSU, solely because the other options make no sense for the cost.

danicab
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:24 pm

Re: MSU full tuition v. ASU sticket v. USD some money

Postby danicab » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:27 pm

thanks for the input :)

josh43299
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:29 pm

Re: MSU full tuition v. ASU sticket v. USD some money

Postby josh43299 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:30 pm

danicab wrote:thanks for the input :)


I'm sorry, just saw that your LSAC GPA is a 3.9.

Option 4 (The sensible option): Retake, enjoy Berkeley

danicab
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:24 pm

Re: MSU full tuition v. ASU sticket v. USD some money

Postby danicab » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:33 pm

josh43299 wrote:
danicab wrote:thanks for the input :)


I'm sorry, just saw that your LSAC GPA is a 3.9.

Option 4 (The sensible option): Retake, enjoy Berkeley


thanks! i'm considering it at this point

checkster
Posts: 348
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:29 pm

Re: MSU full tuition v. ASU sticket v. USD some money

Postby checkster » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:01 pm

If you are able to consider retaking, retake. Do not waste that gorgeous gpa. Go smash that test and laugh at TT.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: MSU full tuition v. ASU sticket v. USD some money

Postby romothesavior » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:02 pm

danicab wrote:
josh43299 wrote:
danicab wrote:thanks for the input :)


I'm sorry, just saw that your LSAC GPA is a 3.9.

Option 4 (The sensible option): Retake, enjoy Berkeley


thanks! i'm considering it at this point

Are you from California? If so, this is the only option that makes any financial/career sense at all. The prices of ASU and USD are just insane, and MSU is a regional school with sketch job prospects in a market thousands of miles away where you (apparently) have no concrete ties. It makes more sense than ASU and USD since it is free, but you would really be squandering your GPA if you didn't retake and wait.

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: MSU full tuition v. ASU sticket v. USD some money

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:05 pm

Retake. You're basically taking a shit on your GPA.

danicab
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:24 pm

Re: MSU full tuition v. ASU sticket v. USD some money

Postby danicab » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:47 pm

romothesavior wrote:
danicab wrote:
josh43299 wrote:
danicab wrote:thanks for the input :)


I'm sorry, just saw that your LSAC GPA is a 3.9.

Option 4 (The sensible option): Retake, enjoy Berkeley


thanks! i'm considering it at this point

Are you from California? If so, this is the only option that makes any financial/career sense at all. The prices of ASU and USD are just insane, and MSU is a regional school with sketch job prospects in a market thousands of miles away where you (apparently) have no concrete ties. It makes more sense than ASU and USD since it is free, but you would really be squandering your GPA if you didn't retake and wait.


I'm from CA originally, but I've been in Seattle, WA for quite some time. I have family in NorCal (some lawyers) and friends in SoCal. It's true, I don't have any ties to Michigan, but would be OK with staying in MI with a degree from MSU...

Looks like retake is the vote...thanks for your input, everyone :) I appreciate it.

User avatar
Geetar Man
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:13 am

Re: MSU full tuition v. ASU sticket v. USD some money

Postby Geetar Man » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:55 pm

Retake is the credited response. You owe it to yourself.

PolySuyGuy
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:59 pm

Re: MSU full tuition v. ASU sticket v. USD some money

Postby PolySuyGuy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:51 pm

danicab wrote:I am at a loss and can't choose.

ASU, while great (and I do prefer a warmer climate) would run me about $170K.

USD gave me $18K and would still cost me around $180K. I have family all over California.

MSU, as I said, gave me a generous full tuition scholarship.

I am interested in tax law, if that makes any difference. I am fine with staying in any of these places, but does the scholarship with MSU outweigh the employment prospects there?



USD unless you can handle 120 degree heat and haboobs.

josh43299
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:29 pm

Re: MSU full tuition v. ASU sticket v. USD some money

Postby josh43299 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:57 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:
danicab wrote:I am at a loss and can't choose.

ASU, while great (and I do prefer a warmer climate) would run me about $170K.

USD gave me $18K and would still cost me around $180K. I have family all over California.

MSU, as I said, gave me a generous full tuition scholarship.

I am interested in tax law, if that makes any difference. I am fine with staying in any of these places, but does the scholarship with MSU outweigh the employment prospects there?



USD unless you can handle 120 degree heat and haboobs.


No




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests