California: Hastings vs. higher ranked, out of state schools

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
skitlets

California: Hastings vs. higher ranked, out of state schools

Postby skitlets » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:06 pm

Hey Everyone,

Been pulling my hair out for weeks over this decision. Total cost of attendance for the schools I am interested in are all relatively close, within about ~$30k total except for GW. I didn't get any big scholarships except for WUSTL but I don't have much interest in being or practicing in the mid-west.

Here's the list:

Hastings
UCI
University of Washington
WUSTL
GW
BU

Wildcard: wait list for UCLA

I would love to work in the Bay Area immediately after graduation but would be willing to stay a few years in Seattle/Boston/SoCal if necessary. GW costs the most by far, so I'm ruling out >200k debt. I grew up in the Bay Area, so I assume that my ties are strong enough. I plan on networking this summer as well before heading off to wherever that may be.

My decision ultimately hinges on whether the local advantage of Hastings is better than a higher ranked school with better employment numbers. While I love the Bay Area, I wouldn't want to be here unemployed. ~30% of grads from Hastings work PT or are unemployed. So, costs being equal, Hastings versus UW/BU/UCI is proving a very difficult decision.

Assume I am not retaking the LSAT and re-applying next year. I may re-apply but my decision to do so would be entirely personal. Any and all input is seriously appreciated. I've spoken to alumni/3Ls from various schools and I'm still completely stuck.

t14fanboy

Re: California: Hastings vs. higher ranked, out of state schools

Postby t14fanboy » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:12 pm

If you want SF, Hastings. The schools you listed are regional. Rank doesn't matter.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:20 pm

How much is Hastings

skitlets

Postby skitlets » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:00 am

rad lulz wrote:How much is Hastings

Probably somewhere around ~120k.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”