USC vs UCLA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
hellothisisme
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:50 am

USC vs UCLA

Postby hellothisisme » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:11 pm

I'm sorry... I'm sure this topic has been done before but I couldn't find one that matched my dilemma exactly when searching.

Basically I'm pretty sure I want to practice in Southern California. Both schools gave me the exact same scholarship (90k).

So it's a tough decision between the two of them.

UCLA is in a much nicer area, is slightly higher-ranked, and I think has a little more national prestige than USC. But I've heard so many times about how awesome the Trojan Network is in helping USC students secure employment. I think its alumni network is better than UCLA's. Plus there is a smaller class size so you get more attention when searching for jobs.

I also was offered a full ride at Irvine FWIW. And was accepted to Duke and Cornell (don't know about $ yet there). But I think UCLA and USC are better for SoCal.

ocuviper
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:56 pm

Re: USC vs UCLA

Postby ocuviper » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:09 am

I am in a similar situation. Insight would be appreciated.

jarofsoup
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: USC vs UCLA

Postby jarofsoup » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:22 am

Duke is better. Ivy is Ivy.

To clarify: After almost competing my first year of law school I feel that rank and prestige matter in this industry beyond anything else and even though you want to work in SoCal the market is constricted in CA and Duke would give you access to any legal market in the U.S. UCLA and USC I do not know.


This is a snobby snobby industry and Duke is one hell of a name. Most people in the legal field probably would not shelve your resume because they saw Duke on it but may for the other schools

User avatar
No13baby
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:42 am

Re: USC vs UCLA

Postby No13baby » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:45 am

Duke isn't an Ivy league school...

OP, if you already have ties to LA, it might be worth considering going to a t14 if you can get some money out of them. Otherwise, visit UCLA and USC and attend the one you like better. The difference in job prospects from those two schools is negligible. They are both good choices.

mighttransfer
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: USC vs UCLA

Postby mighttransfer » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:08 pm

jarofsoup wrote:Duke is better. Ivy is Ivy.

To clarify: After almost competing my first year of law school I feel that rank and prestige matter in this industry beyond anything else and even though you want to work in SoCal the market is constricted in CA and Duke would give you access to any legal market in the U.S. UCLA and USC I do not know.


This is a snobby snobby industry and Duke is one hell of a name. Most people in the legal field probably would not shelve your resume because they saw Duke on it but may for the other schools


This is terrible advice. First, Duke is not an Ivy school. Second, your wisdom from having almost completed your 1L year is ill-informed (OP do not listen to a 1L for employment advice). While rank and prestige matter to a certain extent, regional ties are far more important with respect to employment opportunities. Duke does place some graduates in CA, but Duke is far stronger and better-recognized on the east coast. And its alumni network has little strength in CA. I would deem it unwise to attend Duke with the hope of landing employment in CA. UCLA and USC, by contrast, are superior options because (1) they overwhelmingly place in CA and (2) their respective alumni networks are concentrated in CA (the market in which you hope to practice). I would visit both of those schools and see which you like better, as both are excellent options. All things equal, I would go with UCLA because it is a marginally better school.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: USC vs UCLA

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:12 pm

$90,000 scholarship offers from UCLA & USC make both more attractive than Duke or Cornell at sticker price since you want to work in Southern California.

Between UCLA & USC it's a tie unless the determining factor is the neighborhoods.

Try bargaining for higher scholarships from UCLA & USC based on your Duke & Cornell acceptances & on your identical scholarship offers from both Southern California powerhouses.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: USC vs UCLA

Postby ph14 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:14 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:$90,000 scholarship offers from UCLA & USC make both more attractive than Duke or Cornell at sticker price since you want to work in Southern California.

Between UCLA & USC it's a tie unless the determining factor is the neighborhoods.

Try bargaining for higher scholarships from UCLA & USC based on your Duke & Cornell acceptances & on your identical scholarship offers from both Southern California powerhouses.


I'd pick UCLA for the much better location. I'd much rather live in Westwood for 3 years than downtown.

fakehunter
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: USC vs UCLA

Postby fakehunter » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:39 pm

I'm in a similar situation - UCLA with 60k and USC with hopeful scholarship ( just got in a few weeks ago). I definitely want to go to UCLA, though, because Westwood is just so much better.

However, I'm also accepted at Michigan at sticker. Since it's gone down in rankings and I for sure want to practice in southern California, does UCLA make sense for me?

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: USC vs UCLA

Postby ph14 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:40 pm

fakehunter wrote:I'm in a similar situation - UCLA with 60k and USC with hopeful scholarship ( just got in a few weeks ago). I definitely want to go to UCLA, though, because Westwood is just so much better.

However, I'm also accepted at Michigan at sticker. Since it's gone down in rankings and I for sure want to practice in southern California, does UCLA make sense for me?


It makes sense for you because 1) you want to practice in southern California and 2) you got a large scholarship. Not because Michigan fell down in rankings.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: USC vs UCLA

Postby 071816 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:37 pm

Pick the school that ends up being cheapest out of USC/UCLA. If they end up costing the same, visit both, do research, and pick the one you like better.

User avatar
moneybagsphd
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: USC vs UCLA

Postby moneybagsphd » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:05 pm

ph14 wrote:I'd pick UCLA for the much better location. I'd much rather live in Westwood for 3 years than downtown.

Westwood is a shit hole. It's primary feature is a massive cemetery. The rest of Westwood is devoid of culture and character; it's sterile and boring. To clarify, this is not an argument to go to USC, it's an argument not to live in Westwood (if you go to UCLA).

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: USC vs UCLA

Postby 071816 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:23 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:
ph14 wrote:I'd pick UCLA for the much better location. I'd much rather live in Westwood for 3 years than downtown.

Westwood is a shit hole. It's primary feature is a massive cemetery. The rest of Westwood is devoid of culture and character; it's sterile and boring. To clarify, this is not an argument to go to USC, it's an argument not to live in Westwood (if you go to UCLA).


This is honestly the first time I've ever heard anyone say this. I haven't been to Westwood in a while, but, from what I can remember, it's far from a shit hole.

User avatar
FryBreadPower
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:46 pm

Re: USC vs UCLA

Postby FryBreadPower » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:26 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:
ph14 wrote:I'd pick UCLA for the much better location. I'd much rather live in Westwood for 3 years than downtown.

Westwood is a shit hole. It's primary feature is a massive cemetery. The rest of Westwood is devoid of culture and character; it's sterile and boring. To clarify, this is not an argument to go to USC, it's an argument not to live in Westwood (if you go to UCLA).


I would love to know the dividing line of "shit hole" if Westwood is considered one.

fakehunter
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: USC vs UCLA

Postby fakehunter » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:33 pm

FryBreadPower wrote:
moneybagsphd wrote:
ph14 wrote:I'd pick UCLA for the much better location. I'd much rather live in Westwood for 3 years than downtown.

Westwood is a shit hole. It's primary feature is a massive cemetery. The rest of Westwood is devoid of culture and character; it's sterile and boring. To clarify, this is not an argument to go to USC, it's an argument not to live in Westwood (if you go to UCLA).


I would love to know the dividing line of "shit hole" if Westwood is considered one.


+1

User avatar
breadbucket
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:57 pm

Re: USC vs UCLA

Postby breadbucket » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:25 am

fakehunter wrote:
FryBreadPower wrote:
moneybagsphd wrote:
ph14 wrote:I'd pick UCLA for the much better location. I'd much rather live in Westwood for 3 years than downtown.

Westwood is a shit hole. It's primary feature is a massive cemetery. The rest of Westwood is devoid of culture and character; it's sterile and boring. To clarify, this is not an argument to go to USC, it's an argument not to live in Westwood (if you go to UCLA).


I would love to know the dividing line of "shit hole" if Westwood is considered one.


+1


TITCR

skitlets
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:10 am

Re: USC vs UCLA

Postby skitlets » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:58 pm

I can see how Westwood would be considered a shithole. I'm not a big fan of the area, not a lot of culture, felt a lot of pretention from hosts/management. It just feels soulless.

User avatar
moneybagsphd
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: USC vs UCLA

Postby moneybagsphd » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:50 pm

I will never understand why people like Westwood. Perhaps "shit hole" is the wrong choice of words. Westwood is certainly clean, to the point of being sterile. There's no culture. Shopping/dining in Westwood is like going to a dumpy suburban mall where you can eat some chipotle, go to starbucks, and shop at UBO. All of those things-- save chipotle-- suck ass big time. For the record, Diddy Reiss is to Westwood as Top Dog is to Berkeley; shitty and overrated. I've spent a lot of time in Westwood and it's an unbelievably ho-hum place.

Fark-o-vision
Posts: 590
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:41 pm

Re: USC vs UCLA

Postby Fark-o-vision » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:00 pm

skitlets wrote:I can see how Westwood would be considered a shithole. I'm not a big fan of the area, not a lot of culture, felt a lot of pretention from hosts/management. It just feels soulless.


You have a ridiculously privileged definition of "shithole."

User avatar
moneybagsphd
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: USC vs UCLA

Postby moneybagsphd » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:16 pm

Fark-o-vision wrote:
skitlets wrote:I can see how Westwood would be considered a shithole. I'm not a big fan of the area, not a lot of culture, felt a lot of pretention from hosts/management. It just feels soulless.


You have a ridiculously privileged definition of "shithole."

I'm not sure if you're deliberately missing the point... Westwood is just so fucking vanilla it bores me to tears.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: USC vs UCLA

Postby 071816 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:28 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:
Fark-o-vision wrote:
skitlets wrote:I can see how Westwood would be considered a shithole. I'm not a big fan of the area, not a lot of culture, felt a lot of pretention from hosts/management. It just feels soulless.


You have a ridiculously privileged definition of "shithole."

I'm not sure if you're deliberately missing the point... Westwood is just so fucking vanilla it bores me to tears.


Then you'll love South Central lol

User avatar
moneybagsphd
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: USC vs UCLA

Postby moneybagsphd » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:45 pm

chimp wrote:
moneybagsphd wrote:
Fark-o-vision wrote:
skitlets wrote:I can see how Westwood would be considered a shithole. I'm not a big fan of the area, not a lot of culture, felt a lot of pretention from hosts/management. It just feels soulless.


You have a ridiculously privileged definition of "shithole."

I'm not sure if you're deliberately missing the point... Westwood is just so fucking vanilla it bores me to tears.


Then you'll love South Central lol

There are nice parts of LA that are clean/affluent- e.g. Santa Monica. WW is not one of them.

skitlets
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:10 am

Re: USC vs UCLA

Postby skitlets » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:22 pm

Fark-o-vision wrote:
skitlets wrote:I can see how Westwood would be considered a shithole. I'm not a big fan of the area, not a lot of culture, felt a lot of pretention from hosts/management. It just feels soulless.


You have a ridiculously privileged definition of "shithole."


I live near shitholes, actual shitholes. I'm simply saying I understand where the original point came from, that WW is a soul sucking and boring place.

hellothisisme
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:50 am

Re: USC vs UCLA

Postby hellothisisme » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:10 pm

Thank you all for the insight.

I did not anticipate how much I would love UCI after attending the ASW. And that full scholarship I got is even more tempting now in that context.

But in a previous thread I made about a full scholarship at UCI vs. 90k at UCLA, UCLA won by miles. I'm guessing TLSers know what they are talking about. This is just so difficult, though.

Anyway I e-mailed both UCLA and USC and am trying to negotiate my scholarship up a little, though I don't know how much good it will do. If Duke or Cornell by some miracle offers me a decent amount of aid it will be in the running as well, making my decision even more difficult than it already is.

Gah.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests