Can I Defer? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
HelpMeIfYouCan

New

Can I Defer?

Post by HelpMeIfYouCan » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:41 pm

Hey Guys:

I have posted this on several other thread and received basically no answers, so I'm trying this thread :). I'd call the law school but it's Saturday and hopefully someone here knows the answer.

I was wondering if most law schools allow you to defer your acceptance for a year (can I defer my 2012 acceptance and enter the Fall 2013 class). Do most law schools allow this?

Also, if you are Waitlisted from a school and then accepted in like mid-June, will most schools still let you defer?

Thanks guys!

tooswolle

Bronze

Re: Can I Defer?

Post by tooswolle » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:46 pm

Schools can normally allow you to defer, however each deferal is taken on a case by case basis. Also most deferrals are binding so make sure if you defer you read the fine print. In general most law schools that waitlist you don't allow you the option to defer. In essence the waitlist treats you like a back up that year. Hope that helps.

HelpMeIfYouCan

New

Post by HelpMeIfYouCan » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:49 pm

tooswolle wrote:Schools can normally allow you to defer, however each deferal is taken on a case by case basis. Also most deferrals are binding so make sure if you defer you read the fine print. In general most law schools that waitlist you don't allow you the option to defer. In essence the waitlist treats you like a back up that year. Hope that helps.
Thanks for the response. I understand each school is different, but in one case I was Waitlisted in December and accepted in February. Do you think they would be willing to hold my spot?

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:01 pm

HelpMeIfYouCan wrote:
tooswolle wrote:Schools can normally allow you to defer, however each deferal is taken on a case by case basis. Also most deferrals are binding so make sure if you defer you read the fine print. In general most law schools that waitlist you don't allow you the option to defer. In essence the waitlist treats you like a back up that year. Hope that helps.
Thanks for the response. I understand each school is different, but in one case I was Waitlisted in December and accepted in February. Do you think they would be willing to hold my spot?
Just call the school and ask. They might say no, but they aren't going to take away your acceptance or anything like that, so you have nothing to lose.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”