To Go...or Not To Go?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What should I do?

1) Go to Law School, then pursue what you want
6%
2) Accept an invitation into the program and pursue your dream job now
94%

Total votes: 18

Linsanity

To Go...or Not To Go?

Postby Linsanity » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:22 pm

My dream job is to work in sports management/marketing, and I believe this program would further help me get there. The catch is that this program costs a few thousand to be apart of because after it, you're guaranteed an internship and the people involved with the program are extremely high profiled.

QUESTION is: Should I go to law school and then pursue this career, or should I take this opportunity while it's there? (If you vote in the poll, please elaborate)

**RE-TAKING IS NOT AN OPTION**

The quote I am about to post below is the e-mail I received back from my pre-law advisor...
Last edited by Linsanity on Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Linsanity

Re: To Go...or Not To Go?

Postby Linsanity » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:23 pm

Wow, congratulations. I've heard that program is extremely well-regarded. Presidents and Vice-Presidents of major sports agencies and companies are associated with it. Not sure what you should do but sounds like those are solid options.

R86

Postby R86 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:24 pm

:D
Last edited by R86 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Linsanity

Postby Linsanity » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:28 pm

Well it's a catch in the sense that it isn't free to do. Granted it's probably worth it because of the fantastic networking that's available with high profile Presidents of companies and all that, but it's a risk because if I do that instead of law school and it doesn't lead to a job, I've basically forgone law school and would be in an enormous bind. I have a relative who has in own law firm so getting a job in the law field isn't that big of an issue for me as it is for others. That's another factor in my decision.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:36 pm

Has this relative offered you a job?

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:39 pm

Try this program, defer law school for 1 year, and in 1 year if you still want to go to law school you can go at that point.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:40 pm

TCR: Never go to law school if you have any other plausible option

Linsanity

Postby Linsanity » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:41 pm

minnbills wrote:Has this relative offered you a job?

No, but it's a close relative and I know he would if I needed one. He also owns his own practice (not an employee), so eventually, one day, the practice would become mine when he retired.

freestallion wrote:Try this program, defer law school for 1 year, and in 1 year if you still want to go to law school you can go at that point.

Do most law schools allow you to defer your acceptance so that I could enter next years class as opposed to this one should I opt to do that?

AffordablePrep

Postby AffordablePrep » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:42 pm

I'm confused as getting a good job out of the law schools you're discussing is just as rare, and they carry 200k debt.

Linsanity

Postby Linsanity » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:46 pm

AffordablePrep wrote:I'm confused as getting a good job out of the law schools you're discussing is just as rare, and they carry 200k debt.

I understand that, but read above. I have a close relative who owns his own practice who would pretty much give me a job should I need one. That's one of the factors I need to weigh my decision based on.

I want to be a lawyer and practice criminal law, but I'd love to work in sports management/marketing and get a job in that field. My issue is what if I do this program and it doesn't lead to a job? Then I'm right back where I am now, but in even more debt.
Last edited by Linsanity on Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:52 pm

lawschoolsadness wrote:
AffordablePrep wrote:I'm confused as getting a good job out of the law schools you're discussing is just as rare, and they carry 200k debt.

I understand that, but read above. I have a close relative who owns his own practice who would pretty much give me a job should I need one. That's one of the factors I need to weigh my decision based on.

I want to be a lawyer and practice criminal law, but I'd love to work in sports management/marketing and get a job in that field; that would be my dream. My issue is what if I do this program and it doesn't lead to a job? Then I'm right back where I am now, but in even more debt.

Why is retake not an option- I'm genuinely curious if you've officially exhausted all your retakes.

StarLightSpectre

Postby StarLightSpectre » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:52 pm

freestallion wrote:Try this program, defer law school for 1 year, and in 1 year if you still want to go to law school you can go at that point.

TITCR

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:54 pm

minnbills wrote:
No, but it's a close relative and I know he would if I needed one. He also owns his own practice (not an employee), so eventually, one day, the practice would become mine when he retired.

If this relative hasn't offered you a job as you then how would you know the practice would be yours when you retire? This sounds presumptuous.

Linsanity

Postby Linsanity » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:55 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
lawschoolsadness wrote:

I want to be a lawyer and practice criminal law, but I'd love to work in sports management/marketing and get a job in that field; that would be my dream. My issue is what if I do this program and it doesn't lead to a job? Then I'm right back where I am now, but in even more debt.

Why is retake not an option- I'm genuinely curious if you've officially exhausted all your retakes.

I don't want to go through the process of studying for it all over again. I don't believe my score will go up much. I studied for several months and all my practice scores were around the same range. I'm really just debating between those two options.

AffordablePrep

Postby AffordablePrep » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:55 pm

lawschoolsadness wrote:

Pretty much and certain are very different. Many people have went bankrupt betting on "pretty much". Tcr is get a contract or don't go. How much will he pay you if you're median at hofstra? Remember, your repayments will be around 30k per yr on a 10 yr repayment plan so anything under 75k is dangerous.

Linsanity

Postby Linsanity » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:56 pm

JoeMo wrote:
minnbills wrote:

If this relative hasn't offered you a job as you then how would you know the practice would be yours when you retire? This sounds presumptuous.

Why would he offer me a job 3 years in advance? He'll give me one if needed..Trust me. Everything I've stated is factual information. I just need help deciding between those two options.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:58 pm

lawschoolsadness wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
lawschoolsadness wrote:

I don't want to go through the process of studying for it all over again. I don't believe my score will go up much. I studied for several months and all my practice scores were around the same range. I'm really just debating between those two options.

I would seriously rethink this. If you spend a year in this program and study for the LSAT in the meantime, raise your score, and get into some better options you will have the best of both worlds (a shot at your real dream and a decent law school with $ if it doesn't work out).

How have you been prepping? Maybe the LSAT Prep board here can help you see better returns.

AffordablePrep

Postby AffordablePrep » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:58 pm

[/quote]We've brought people up 30 pts, who are now in the top 14. We also brougjt up people 10 pts to get into a TTT, who refused to retake for stress reasons. The 2" and 3ls of this bunch are jobless, and hate us for helping them on this self destructive journey, some have even blamed us for not telling them the truth about themselves despite warnings of TTT scams.

Cornellanister

Postby Cornellanister » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:59 pm

Go do the program. You can decide in a year.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:07 pm

Cornellanister wrote:Go do the program. You can decide in a year.

+1. Whatever opportunities he has in 3 years with the relative will still be there in 4-5 years. There's no reason to rush.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:08 pm

I'm not sure about that program - I read the article but can't work out what to think of it. Is it affiliated with a decent university? But I wouldn't go to any of those law schools without big money.

Linsanity

Postby Linsanity » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:10 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
Cornellanister wrote:Go do the program. You can decide in a year.

+1. Whatever opportunities he has in 3 years with the relative will still be there in 4-5 years. There's no reason to rush.

Timbs that's a very good point.

Linsanity

Postby Linsanity » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:10 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:I'm not sure about that program - I read the article but can't work out what to think of it. Is it affiliated with a decent university? But I wouldn't go to any of those law schools without big money.

If you look at the list of people affiliated with it, it's incredible. I'll never get another opportunity like this in my life in my opinion.
Last edited by Linsanity on Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Linsanity

Postby Linsanity » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:12 pm

I'm just nervous that I'll make the investment, do the program, complete the internship, and there is the possibility I won't be offered a job.
Last edited by Linsanity on Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AffordablePrep

Postby AffordablePrep » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:16 pm

lawschoolsadness wrote:I'm just nervous that I'll make the 9K investment, do the program, complete the internship, and there is the possibility I won't be offered a job.

Funny given your willigness to imvest 200k.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”