School Decision Help

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Estef_22

School Decision Help

Postby Estef_22 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:25 pm

Cornell- sticker
Columbia- sticker
Chicago Kent-Full tuition plus 45K stipend

I would prefer to stay in Chicago and not be in debt but given Big Law job prospects, job placement stats and overall rank, this decision isn't as obvious as I'd hoped. NYC is very expensive, Ithaca is very isolated and I keep hearing Chicago-Kent success stories that make me question my gut reaction (FYI I'm still waiting to hear back from UChicago). I'd either work in NYC or Chicago post-graduation but have an overall preference for Chicago. Thanks in advance TLSers!

CanadianWolf

Re: School Decision Help

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:31 pm

It probably boils down to Chicago-Kent full scholarship plus $15,000 per year versus Columbia at sticker since Cornell at sticker offers less than Columbia in terms of employment & location.

Another thought: Do you want guaranteed money now or almost guaranteed biglaw later ?

Need more info. about you & why Chicago-Kent before suggesting that you pass on such a great offer.

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:33 pm

Did you apply to Northwestern? That would be a good option if you got $$ there. However, I would vote Columbia. Stay away from Chicago- Kent - that sounds like a bad idea!

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:09 pm

Columbia. Without a doubt.

Also, did you apply to UChicago or Northwestern?

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:12 pm

Estef_22 wrote:Cornell- sticker
Columbia- sticker
Chicago Kent-Full tuition plus 45K stipend

I would prefer to stay in Chicago and not be in debt but given Big Law job prospects, job placement stats and overall rank, this decision isn't as obvious as I'd hoped. NYC is very expensive, Ithaca is very isolated and I keep hearing Chicago-Kent success stories that make me question my gut reaction (FYI I'm still waiting to hear back from UChicago). I'd either work in NYC or Chicago post-graduation but have an overall preference for Chicago. Thanks in advance TLSers!

Are there stipulations on Chicago Kent rides? I do not know anything, but I feel like you'd be crazy to pass up Columbia unless you had a job, or REALLY solid contacts, lined up in Chicago.

Chucky21

Postby Chucky21 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:14 pm

Columbia all the way. Maybe you can use this to leverage some money out of Cornell also which could swing you in favor there as both schools place well in NYC. But at sticker go Columbia.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:14 pm

Come to CLS, unless you get into UChi

Estef_22

Postby Estef_22 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:20 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:It probably boils down to Chicago-Kent full scholarship plus $15,000 per year versus Columbia at sticker since Cornell at sticker offers less than Columbia in terms of employment & location.

Another thought: Do you want guaranteed money now or almost guaranteed biglaw later ?

Need more info. about you & why Chicago-Kent before suggesting that you pass on such a great offer.

Thanks for your comment. The ideal situation would be guaranteed money now and almost guaranteed biglaw later, yet given that current job stats show around 50% big law job placement at places like Chicago, Columbia and Cornell even going there isn't "almost guaranteed" anymore (making the immediate money appealing). Kent is ranked in the 60's but has better placement at top Chicago firms than I expected. It still can't compare to UChicago or NW. I was rejected at Northwestern, so sadly that's not an option.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:03 pm

Estef_22 wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:It probably boils down to Chicago-Kent full scholarship plus $15,000 per year versus Columbia at sticker since Cornell at sticker offers less than Columbia in terms of employment & location.

Thanks for your comment. The ideal situation would be guaranteed money now and almost guaranteed biglaw later, yet given that current job stats show around 50% big law job placement at places like Chicago, Columbia and Cornell even going there isn't "almost guaranteed" anymore (making the immediate money appealing). Kent is ranked in the 60's but has better placement at top Chicago firms than I expected. It still can't compare to UChicago or NW. I was rejected at Northwestern, so sadly that's not an option.

Full disclosure: I attend Columbia

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ ... ook_author

The Editor in Chief of the Chicago-Kent Law Review was unemployed at graduation. It's anecdotal but that's just the cherry on top of very dismal stats from Kent.

Try to negotiate. Has Columbia or Cornell made finaid awards to other people this cycle?

The actual biglaw numbers from Columbia are higher than 50%. Probably about 80% when you add in people doing year-long prestigious clerkships who are going back into biglaw and you also count the firms that don't report to the rankings (there was a huge debate about this over the last few days).

Whether you could immediately go back to Chicago is a tougher question to answer. Non-NYC markets are tougher to judge and the Chicago market has been particularly savaged during the recession (I think they have like 400 total summer associate spots). I know a few people in my class who are going to Chicago. All the big Chicago firms come to interview on campus. You could definitely do it with top 1/3 grades, median I'm not so sure. That being said you'd have the fallback option of working in NYC if you don't have the grades to feel comfortable taking your chances at Chicago firms (you could always apply to Chicago outside of the normal interview schedule). But to get Chicago biglaw at Kent, you'll need much much higher than top 1/3.

I voted Columbia.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”