Temple $$ v. Villanova (full-tuition) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Temple v. Villanova

Temple
46%
Villanova
54%

Total votes: 28

SCOTUS40

New

Temple $$ v. Villanova (full-tuition)

Post by SCOTUS40 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:48 pm

I have a $7,500 dollar scholarship per year at Temple versus a full-tuition scholarship at Villanova. Lived in PA my whole life. As it applies to OCI's and recruitment, does anyone know if there is a difference between these schools? I know Villanova fell in the latest rankings, and there is no way to know if this will continue or not. Based on the NLJ250, they are similar schools. Just posting to see if anyone has heard anything regarding these schools. I am aware that all of these rankings systems are flawed in one way or another, and would greatly appreciate anyone who posts with some knowledge of these schools.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Temple $$ v. Villanova (full-tuition)

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:53 pm

Compare total COA for each school. Villanova is still the same school regardless of its rankings drop for employment in the Philadelphia area.

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:23 pm

Temple 1L. I love Temple but I'd probably go with Nova unless their offer comes with stipulations. In state + 7,500 is a very good deal from Temple, but the schools are basically the same. I would pay a little more for Temple just to not have to deal with all the scandal stuff, but not 33,000 over the course 3 years. That's what you would be facing. Try and negotiate with Temple, see if they will cut that total in half, then come here! Its a great place.

As it stands now: Go to Nova

glove711

New

Post by glove711 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:06 am

I'm essentially in the same position as well with full from Nova and $3750/yr from Temple. I'm from the region and want to work in Philly so its going to be one of these two. I'm sort of kicking myself for not writing the essay, as offered by Temple to increase my scholarship to 12k a year, as I was comfortable with the Nova offer at that point. Though I know rankings are esentially useless regionally, the continued downward trend in the Nova rankings concerns me more than the actual new ranking. I still can't seem to justify spending $48k more for a school with relatively similar outcomes, so I'm leaning towards Nova.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:20 pm

Old reputations die hard. The scandal, however overhyped, will not have any discernible impact in the Philadelphia area for the foreseeable future. If you're looking to take your Villanova degree to elsewhere, employers may actually care about the recent rankings drop. Then again, going to strictly regional schools is pretty foolish if you want to end up outside the immediate area.

TCR for the great Temple/Villanova debate is to choose the cheaper option between the two. For you, that's clearly the latter school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

grovevilleroad

New

Post by grovevilleroad » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:13 pm

I am in a similar boat: Villanova tuition free, Temple will cost 6k a year. I am working to get more money from both schools, but even the savings of 18k total on tuition is still substantial. At this point I am leaning Nova since it is cheaper, I would suggest you do the same. If the cost difference was insignificant (2k a year) then go to whichever school you would prefer.

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:35 pm

grovevilleroad wrote:I am in a similar boat: Villanova tuition free, Temple will cost 6k a year. I am working to get more money from both schools, but even the savings of 18k total on tuition is still substantial. At this point I am leaning Nova since it is cheaper, I would suggest you do the same. If the cost difference was insignificant (2k a year) then go to whichever school you would prefer.
18k over 3 years? I think you should go where you're more comfortable at that point. Do I think Temple is inherently worth 18k more than Villanova? Nope, but it would be for me. In addition to liking the city over the suburbs, the overall feel of the school appealed to me more. Law school may not be the right move for most, but I don't think that 18k total will financially break you. Just go where you like. I respect that TLS is slowly getting fiscally savvy, but there is some room to splurge a little bit on preference. If no preference, go cheaper.

grovevilleroad

New

Post by grovevilleroad » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:50 am

Justathought wrote:
grovevilleroad wrote:I am in a similar boat: Villanova tuition free, Temple will cost 6k a year. I am working to get more money from both schools, but even the savings of 18k total on tuition is still substantial. At this point I am leaning Nova since it is cheaper, I would suggest you do the same. If the cost difference was insignificant (2k a year) then go to whichever school you would prefer.
18k over 3 years? I think you should go where you're more comfortable at that point. Do I think Temple is inherently worth 18k more than Villanova? Nope, but it would be for me. In addition to liking the city over the suburbs, the overall feel of the school appealed to me more. Law school may not be the right move for most, but I don't think that 18k total will financially break you. Just go where you like. I respect that TLS is slowly getting fiscally savvy, but there is some room to splurge a little bit on preference. If no preference, go cheaper.
I do like the city more, as it is where I live and it would be easier for me to commute (bike and subway, no car), but I already have a substantial undergrad debt that 18k more would make me a little uncomfortable. I still need to visit VLS first before I can rule that Temple is preferred, ignoring debt. With my offers standing, I still am considering Temple, just leaning Nova.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”