Retake V. $5,000 at Fordham V. Full Scholly at Cardozo

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sjayy89
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:52 pm

Retake V. $5,000 at Fordham V. Full Scholly at Cardozo

Postby sjayy89 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:52 pm

I live 20 min outside Manhatten and want to work in NYC. I want to work in Child Advocay so Big Law is not crucial (unless of course I take on the absurd amount of debt from Fordham). I have a LOW GPA of 3.2--but my Jr and Senior year GPA avg was a 3.94. I received a 167 on my lSAT but completely ate it in the Games Section (every other section I only got 1-2 wrong and Games never gave me trouble on PTs). I am leaning towards a re-take but I am wondering if getting above a 170 would even help as my GPA is pretty sad.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Retake V. $5,000 at Fordham V. Full Scholly at Cardozo

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:57 pm

Retake, although you should be able to get a position in Child Advocacy from Yeshiva/Cardozo.

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Retake V. $5,000 at Fordham V. Full Scholly at Cardozo

Postby tennisking88 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:58 pm

The only thing a higher score will get you is acceptance to a better school. Fordham does NOT give substantial aid to splitters. So if you think you can get ~172+ you have a shot at Columbia/NYU. Although, if you want PI work, a full ride from Cardozo isn't a terrible option either.
Last edited by tennisking88 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5693
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Retake V. $5,000 at Fordham V. Full Scholly at Cardozo

Postby Easy-E » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:10 pm

sjayy89 wrote:I live 20 min outside Manhatten and want to work in NYC. I want to work in Child Advocay so Big Law is not crucial (unless of course I take on the absurd amount of debt from Fordham). I have a LOW GPA of 3.2--but my Jr and Senior year GPA avg was a 3.94. I received a 167 on my lSAT but completely ate it in the Games Section (every other section I only got 1-2 wrong and Games never gave me trouble on PTs). I am leaning towards a re-take but I am wondering if getting above a 170 would even help as my GPA is pretty sad.



I'm in the same boat GPA and trend wise, unfortunately the latter factor will not over shadow the first (don't get me started). Breaking 170 seems to be a big deal, and it could push you over the media LSAT wise for a lot of schools. If I'm getting the numbers right (Fordham's site), tuition less the cost of room and board comes out to just over 55 grand, and I guess your travel expenses might be slightly different than their average. Coming out 150K in debt pretty much locks you into Big Law if I'm not mistaken, and even Fordham isn't a lock for it. If you really think you bit in on LG and could improve, I'd say do it.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Retake V. $5,000 at Fordham V. Full Scholly at Cardozo

Postby spleenworship » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:32 pm

What's the stip on the dozo scholly?

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Retake V. $5,000 at Fordham V. Full Scholly at Cardozo

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:36 pm

If retake is legitimately an option, I will almost always opt for the retake.

sjayy89
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:52 pm

Re: Retake V. $5,000 at Fordham V. Full Scholly at Cardozo

Postby sjayy89 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:48 pm

Top 40% Stip on Cardozo

xcountryjunkie
Posts: 437
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: Retake V. $5,000 at Fordham V. Full Scholly at Cardozo

Postby xcountryjunkie » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:53 pm

Scholarships with stips (especially a stip that hard) are not worth it. There's a reason the put in the stip... so that a bunch of students lose the scholarship.

Your analysis should be Retake v Fordham (5K) v Cardozo (1/3 off) since 1/3 is all you are guaranteed.

Unless you can get them to remove the stip, I would retake. 1/3 off still leaves you with too much debt to make Cardozo worth it.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18410
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Retake V. $5,000 at Fordham V. Full Scholly at Cardozo

Postby bk1 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:55 pm

You'd be 240k in debt when you graduated Fordham. You're more likely to lose your Cardozo scholly than keep it.

A 170+ LSAT would help you get the T14 (NU, UVA, GULC all take low GPA's). Of course you'd be paying sticker. That being said it might be worth it even for child advocacy since you'd be able to use LRAP/IBR to help cover your debt. But I have no idea how child advocacy hiring works and whether the added prestige would be beneficial in that sector.

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Retake V. $5,000 at Fordham V. Full Scholly at Cardozo

Postby sunynp » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:58 pm

Do you have any background in child advocacy? You might want to get some work experience if you don't, and then retake.

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Retake V. $5,000 at Fordham V. Full Scholly at Cardozo

Postby tennisking88 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:00 pm

What is child advocacy? Sounds more like social work than law to me..

User avatar
mauryballstein
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:23 am

Re: Retake V. $5,000 at Fordham V. Full Scholly at Cardozo

Postby mauryballstein » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:44 pm

tennisking88 wrote:The only thing a higher score will get you is acceptance to a better school. Fordham does NOT give substantial aid to splitters. So if you think you can get ~172+ you have a shot at Columbia/NYU. Although, if you want PI work, a full ride from Cardozo isn't a terrible option either.


Since when does a 3.2/172 score you a chance at Columbia or NYU? Someone tell me he's mistaken or I'm applying ED right away.

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Retake V. $5,000 at Fordham V. Full Scholly at Cardozo

Postby tennisking88 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:01 pm

mauryballstein wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:The only thing a higher score will get you is acceptance to a better school. Fordham does NOT give substantial aid to splitters. So if you think you can get ~172+ you have a shot at Columbia/NYU. Although, if you want PI work, a full ride from Cardozo isn't a terrible option either.


Since when does a 3.2/172 score you a chance at Columbia or NYU? Someone tell me he's mistaken or I'm applying ED right away.


Perhaps not Columbia, but NYU is possible: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/normally/jd,

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Retake V. $5,000 at Fordham V. Full Scholly at Cardozo

Postby dingbat » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:12 pm

See if you can do something about that stip. I had top 80% stip on my Dozo scholly.
In that case Dozo would win hands down (graduating debt free means being able to live off a child advocacy salary)




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests