Michigan ($) vs. UCLA ($$$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Michigan or UCLA?

Michigan (30k)
74%
UCLA (90k)
26%

Total votes: 31

DaftAndDirect

Michigan ($) vs. UCLA ($$$)

Postby DaftAndDirect » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:03 pm

I asked this question once before in someone else's thread, but figured I'd start a poll to put the issue to bed. Also received a scholly bump from UCLA that changed the situation a bit.

Should I take $30k at Michigan or $90k at UCLA? GPA stips for both are less than 3.0.

My ties are primarily to the midwest. No ties to California but did spend a year living and working in San Diego. I'm operating under the assumption that, if I attend UCLA, I will be aiming to stay in SoCal for work. I'm not incredibly in love with California or anything, but the perpetual sunshine and strong regional reputation of the school make the money difficult to turn down. Interested in transactional work at a large to mid-sized firm.

Tiago Splitter

Re: Michigan ($) vs. UCLA ($$$)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:52 pm

I voted Michigan. To me the only reason to choose UCLA is because you are fully committed to California. Biglaw in SoCal is already tough to land, but when its transactional Biglaw it's even tougher.

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:49 pm

If you want CA, specifically LA, go to UCLA.

Otherwise Michigan for (1) better job prospects (2) farther national reach (3) lower COL.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:04 pm

The majority of biglaw (where transactional work is done) is in NYC. If you're okay with NYC I'd probably lean UMich since it gives you a much better shot at your goal and you're not focused on CA.

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:46 am

Assuming you got median at each, I would predict you have a better shot at CA biglaw at Michigan. All the big firms from N and S California will be a Michigan OCI.

DaftAndDirect

Postby DaftAndDirect » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:28 pm

Thanks for the input on this. Will be visiting both schools in the next several weeks. Hope to have my shit together before seat deposits are due.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”