Vandy (75k) or Cornell ( potentially sticker don't know yet)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Vandy (75k) or Cornell ( potentially sticker don't know yet)

Postby msblaw89 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:12 pm

Debt isn't a huge issue, but would certainly not mind having less..not 100% on NYC, but want biglaw. I also want to attend the school that will give me the most reach across the major U.S cities.

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Vandy (75k) or Cornell ( potentially sticker don't know yet)

Postby tennisking88 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:18 pm

msblaw89 wrote:Debt isn't a huge issue, but would certainly not mind having less..not 100% on NYC, but want biglaw. I also want to attend the school that will give me the most reach across the major U.S cities.


NYC = Cornell
More cities (esp. South) = Vandy

I would personally take the 75k. You can still get to NYC from Vandy. Ithaca is also colder.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Vandy (75k) or Cornell ( potentially sticker don't know yet)

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:29 pm

I agree. Vanderbilt is more attractive primarily due to the significant cost difference (Cornell is the first or second most expensive law school in the country with respect to tuition.)

woeisme
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Re: Vandy (75k) or Cornell ( potentially sticker don't know yet)

Postby woeisme » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:40 pm

msblaw89 wrote:Debt isn't a huge issue, but would certainly not mind having less..not 100% on NYC, but want biglaw. I also want to attend the school that will give me the most reach across the major U.S cities.


Cornell...

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: Vandy (75k) or Cornell ( potentially sticker don't know yet)

Postby Bronck » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:42 pm

Vandy. Do you really want to come out of LS with 250-260k of debt from Cornell?

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: Vandy (75k) or Cornell ( potentially sticker don't know yet)

Postby kaiser » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:43 pm

Vanderbilt. Cornell at sticker is just too expensive.

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Vandy (75k) or Cornell ( potentially sticker don't know yet)

Postby msblaw89 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:53 pm

Now I don't know if this will happen, but last cycle there was a decent number of applicants who got anywhere from 30-60k with my stats....still Vanderbilt? I will only have to take out loans for tuition too.

woeisme
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Re: Vandy (75k) or Cornell ( potentially sticker don't know yet)

Postby woeisme » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:59 pm

msblaw89 wrote:Now I don't know if this will happen, but last cycle there was a decent number of applicants who got anywhere from 30-60k with my stats....still Vanderbilt? I will only have to take out loans for tuition too.


I mean this is a personal choice. Many people go to Cornell over substantial money at a Vandy/Texas/UCLA/USC/WUSTL, etc. Others take the money. You have to balance Cornell's increased portability and employability against Vandy's short-term financial savings. People come out differently on this. Have you visited either school? Which do you like more, money aside? Consider that too.

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Vandy (75k) or Cornell ( potentially sticker don't know yet)

Postby msblaw89 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:01 pm

woeisme wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:Now I don't know if this will happen, but last cycle there was a decent number of applicants who got anywhere from 30-60k with my stats....still Vanderbilt? I will only have to take out loans for tuition too.


I mean this is a personal choice. Many people go to Cornell over substantial money at a Vandy/Texas/UCLA/USC/WUSTL, etc. Others take the money. You have to balance Cornell's increased portability and employability against Vandy's short-term financial savings. People come out differently on this. Have you visited either school? Which do you like more, money aside? Consider that too.


I have visited Vanderbilt and I will visit Cornell in April. In your opinion, do you think a degree from Cornell will take me farther (geographically for biglaw) than Vandy?

woeisme
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Re: Vandy (75k) or Cornell ( potentially sticker don't know yet)

Postby woeisme » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:13 pm

msblaw89 wrote:I have visited Vanderbilt and I will visit Cornell in April. In your opinion, do you think a degree from Cornell will take me farther (geographically for biglaw) than Vandy?


I think it's a fact that it does and will. The question is whether the added reach of Cornell is worth the additional tuition to you. And people answer that question differently.

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Vandy (75k) or Cornell ( potentially sticker don't know yet)

Postby msblaw89 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:26 pm

woeisme wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:I have visited Vanderbilt and I will visit Cornell in April. In your opinion, do you think a degree from Cornell will take me farther (geographically for biglaw) than Vandy?


I think it's a fact that it does and will. The question is whether the added reach of Cornell is worth the additional tuition to you. And people answer that question differently.


Thanks, I appreciate your opinion

User avatar
skers
Posts: 4950
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 am

Re: Vandy (75k) or Cornell ( potentially sticker don't know yet)

Postby skers » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:31 pm

Do you have ties to the South?

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Vandy (75k) or Cornell ( potentially sticker don't know yet)

Postby top30man » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:10 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:Do you have ties to the South?

I wonder this too. I'm making the same decision. Vandy is so tempting but I have zero ties to the south and from everything I've read on this site southern markets are very parochial. I think I'm taking Cornell. I'm fine with NYC and the big firms in the secondary
Market I work in oci/job fair at Cornell. Unfortunately none of the big three here do oci at Vanderbilt.

Tl, Dr. In same situation. Choosing Cornell due to lack of ties.

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Vandy (75k) or Cornell ( potentially sticker don't know yet)

Postby tennisking88 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:18 pm

I agree Cornell is portable. How far the reach goes all depends on how well you do. If offered 60k, I would take that over Vandy. If 30...eh yeah, probably, but that's cause I can't imagine living in the south. Though I'd try to negotiate w/Vandy for more. Keep in mind, Cornell costs a tad more, and, again, you're in Ithaca...

User avatar
skers
Posts: 4950
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 am

Re: Vandy (75k) or Cornell ( potentially sticker don't know yet)

Postby skers » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:23 pm

top30man wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:Do you have ties to the South?

I wonder this too. I'm making the same decision. Vandy is so tempting but I have zero ties to the south and from everything I've read on this site southern markets are very parochial. I think I'm taking Cornell. I'm fine with NYC and the big firms in the secondary
Market I work in oci/job fair at Cornell. Unfortunately none of the big three here do oci at Vanderbilt.

Tl, Dr. In same situation. Choosing Cornell due to lack of ties.


I'd get in touch with the poaster formerly known as Grizz for more info on Vandy placement. Cornell sticker would freak me out a bit unless you're 100% NYC big law or bust.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18418
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Vandy (75k) or Cornell ( potentially sticker don't know yet)

Postby bk1 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:25 pm

Debt at graduation (approximately, assuming no cost increases):

Cornell - 250k
Vandy - 150k

150k at Vandy still carries with it some serious risk for people who don't get biglaw and who lack ties to the South. I'm kind of split but I'd lean ever so slightly Cornell for a non-Southerner.

I don't think reach from Cornell is highly relevant. The fact is at both of these schools, and especially Cornell, is that you're going to need biglaw to pay it off and most of biglaw is in NYC (especially for those around median).

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Vandy (75k) or Cornell ( potentially sticker don't know yet)

Postby msblaw89 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:34 pm

bk1 wrote:Debt at graduation (approximately, assuming no cost increases):

Cornell - 250k
Vandy - 150k

150k at Vandy still carries with it some serious risk for people who don't get biglaw and who lack ties to the South. I'm kind of split but I'd lean ever so slightly Cornell for a non-Southerner.

I don't think reach from Cornell is highly relevant. The fact is at both of these schools, and especially Cornell, is that you're going to need biglaw to pay it off and most of biglaw is in NYC (especially for those around median).

Is making 160k, but with the cost of living in NYC really going to put a dent in any kind of loans?

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Vandy (75k) or Cornell ( potentially sticker don't know yet)

Postby msblaw89 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:36 pm

.
Last edited by msblaw89 on Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Vandy (75k) or Cornell ( potentially sticker don't know yet)

Postby rad lulz » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:41 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Vandy (75k) or Cornell ( potentially sticker don't know yet)

Postby msblaw89 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:54 pm

Well, I don't want to go back to Florida. Sorry if this is a stupid question....but many of the top 100 firms have several offices across the U.S and even internationally. If I went to Cornell and interviewed with a firm whose base is in NYC, but has an office in Chicago( where I hypothetically want to work)....would that work? Or is each firm treated independent of the others?

User avatar
seancris
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:10 pm

Re: Vandy (75k) or Cornell ( potentially sticker don't know yet)

Postby seancris » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:10 pm

bk1 wrote:Debt at graduation (approximately, assuming no cost increases):

Cornell - 250k
Vandy - 150k


How?

46k tuition * 3 = 138k - 75k = 63k. You're suggesting OP is going to rack up 30k/yr in CoL and other expenses? And that he can expect to generate no revenue?

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Vandy (75k) or Cornell ( potentially sticker don't know yet)

Postby rad lulz » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:10 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15487
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Vandy (75k) or Cornell ( potentially sticker don't know yet)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:23 pm

seancris wrote:
bk1 wrote:Debt at graduation (approximately, assuming no cost increases):

Cornell - 250k
Vandy - 150k


How?

46k tuition * 3 = 138k - 75k = 63k. You're suggesting OP is going to rack up 30k/yr in CoL and other expenses? And that he can expect to generate no revenue?


Yay for compounding.

--LinkRemoved--

I put in a starting cost of attendance of 45K increasing at 3.5% per year, with 25k in schollies each year. Ended with 144K in debt.

EDIT: Entered 65K COA, not 45K
Last edited by Tiago Splitter on Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Vandy (75k) or Cornell ( potentially sticker don't know yet)

Postby msblaw89 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:27 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
seancris wrote:
bk1 wrote:Debt at graduation (approximately, assuming no cost increases):

Cornell - 250k
Vandy - 150k


How?

46k tuition * 3 = 138k - 75k = 63k. You're suggesting OP is going to rack up 30k/yr in CoL and other expenses? And that he can expect to generate no revenue?


Yay for compounding.

--LinkRemoved--

I put in a starting cost of attendance of 45K increasing at 3.5% per year, with 25k in schollies each year. Ended with 144K in debt.


According to the GULC app...I got 160,258 total indebtedness then -75k would be 85,258.... but I wouldn't need to take out any loans for living expenses ...it would be tuition only. So I would assume the 85k would be even lower

User avatar
seancris
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:10 pm

Re: Vandy (75k) or Cornell ( potentially sticker don't know yet)

Postby seancris » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:32 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Yay for compounding.


Err... I have never once thought about this. FML. This shit is too expensive.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest