Miami vs San Diego

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Miami vs San Diego

Postby BearsGrl » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:41 pm

JamesChapman23 wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:
JamesChapman23 wrote: At TTTs like San Diego or Miami,

Miami isn't a t3


Beyond the T20, everything is a TTT. Pretending like there is a real different between tier 2 and tier 3 schools is just buying into US News propaganda. The employment outcomes are not very different, although perhaps the T2 has more library volumes or student professor ratio.


Concur.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Miami vs San Diego

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:54 pm

Still interested in a response to my questions.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Miami vs San Diego

Postby BearsGrl » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:57 pm

romothesavior wrote:Still interested in a response to my questions.


Certainly not from me since I already fulfilled this task. :mrgreen:

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Miami vs San Diego

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:12 pm

romothesavior wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:Call me naive (not you), but my resume says otherwise. That suffices me. :mrgreen:

Congratulations on being the exception. No one says getting a job without ties is impossible. It is just much more difficult and requires better credentials, networking, etc. With the current sorry state of the market, it is unwise to put yourself behind the 8 ball before you even staft. No one says its impossible, so don't turn what we're saying into a straw man. Which is exactly what you're doing. We're not dealing with impossibility vs. possibility. We're saying it is far more difficult.

Just curious, you keep talking about your resume. What are your grades/school range? WE, IP, or URM? If you're top 10% at a T1 or a black IP student with 5 years of solid work experience, then you aren't exactly representative. Assuming median or even top third at the schools listed, it would be foolish to attend without ties. Obviously other factors can change the equation, but for the average applicant, this is sound advice.


romothesavior wrote:Still interested in a response to my questions.


She's a 0L who apparently got a non-legal job that she's proud of before law school without having ties to an area.

User avatar
noleknight16
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:09 am

Re: Miami vs San Diego

Postby noleknight16 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:26 pm

I think Miami is a better option, if you have to choose. I visited and liked it a lot. Too busy and expensive for me though. Neither are advisable at sticker though.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Miami vs San Diego

Postby BearsGrl » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:37 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:Call me naive (not you), but my resume says otherwise. That suffices me. :mrgreen:

Congratulations on being the exception. No one says getting a job without ties is impossible. It is just much more difficult and requires better credentials, networking, etc. With the current sorry state of the market, it is unwise to put yourself behind the 8 ball before you even staft. No one says its impossible, so don't turn what we're saying into a straw man. Which is exactly what you're doing. We're not dealing with impossibility vs. possibility. We're saying it is far more difficult.

Just curious, you keep talking about your resume. What are your grades/school range? WE, IP, or URM? If you're top 10% at a T1 or a black IP student with 5 years of solid work experience, then you aren't exactly representative. Assuming median or even top third at the schools listed, it would be foolish to attend without ties. Obviously other factors can change the equation, but for the average applicant, this is sound advice.


romothesavior wrote:Still interested in a response to my questions.


She's a 0L who apparently got a non-legal job that she's proud of before law school without having ties to an area.


I'm not a URM.
I don't believe in boxing people in by stats.
Give me all of the law applicants that actually follow through on attendance six months to a year following their first law class. Then we can talk actual numbers. The same people that apply, get accepted and attend will not be the same that complete their experience.

Networking is a key trait. This should be a given. And I'm sorry, but most comments always denote the phrase "ties to X region" as a major factor. If you're good at networking, already have a solid resume and have other assets, ties to a region are not going to matter.

No one should attend a school in the East coast (say Rutgers) if they really want the West Coast. That should be basic knowledge though. And anyone entering the legal market now should know that it's protracted period, wherever you go. So anyone talking about going to X and trying to transfer to X region is just participating in nonsense talk. That's my general opinion though.

You can obviously disagree and I'm sure will. No worries.
Last edited by BearsGrl on Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Miami vs San Diego

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:06 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:Call me naive (not you), but my resume says otherwise. That suffices me. :mrgreen:

Congratulations on being the exception. No one says getting a job without ties is impossible. It is just much more difficult and requires better credentials, networking, etc. With the current sorry state of the market, it is unwise to put yourself behind the 8 ball before you even staft. No one says its impossible, so don't turn what we're saying into a straw man. Which is exactly what you're doing. We're not dealing with impossibility vs. possibility. We're saying it is far more difficult.

Just curious, you keep talking about your resume. What are your grades/school range? WE, IP, or URM? If you're top 10% at a T1 or a black IP student with 5 years of solid work experience, then you aren't exactly representative. Assuming median or even top third at the schools listed, it would be foolish to attend without ties. Obviously other factors can change the equation, but for the average applicant, this is sound advice.


romothesavior wrote:Still interested in a response to my questions.


She's a 0L who apparently got a non-legal job that she's proud of before law school without having ties to an area.

Ha...

Hahaha...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I thought she was a 2L who went to a law school on the other side of the country and beat the odds and got a job in a parochial market, and extrapolated from her limited experience that it is easy to do. I thought my, that is quite presumptuous, naive, and self-righteous of her.

But she's just a 0L who landed some paralegal job and is preaching to us that ties don't matter in legal hiring? Holy smokes...

User avatar
padawanphil
Posts: 351
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Miami vs San Diego

Postby padawanphil » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:17 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
romothesavior wrote:He wasn't citing Wikipedia for anything. He was saying that your conclusions are based on anecdotal evidence. How do you not understand this?


I get that, but seeing as I have actually been a statistic, I think anecdotal evidence supersedes generic ramblings. But that's just me.

Like I said, we can all differ but the point still stands that relocation is not a deterrent.

Your experience being an exception to the rule doesn't establish the bolded. Normally, I would have just dropped this because you seem pretty adamant, but OP might get convinced that "relocation is not a deterrent" and be unhappy when their experience says otherwise. I'm glad it worked out for you. Just know that you are a special snowflake :wink:

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Miami vs San Diego

Postby BearsGrl » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:23 pm

padawanphil wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
romothesavior wrote:He wasn't citing Wikipedia for anything. He was saying that your conclusions are based on anecdotal evidence. How do you not understand this?


I get that, but seeing as I have actually been a statistic, I think anecdotal evidence supersedes generic ramblings. But that's just me.

Like I said, we can all differ but the point still stands that relocation is not a deterrent.

Your experience being an exception to the rule doesn't establish the bolded. Normally, I would have just dropped this because you seem pretty adamant, but OP might get convinced that "relocation is not a deterrent" and be unhappy when their experience says otherwise. I'm glad it worked out for you. Just know that you are a special snowflake :wink:


Relocation is not a deterrent. If you would like to attempt to convince someone that it is, that is your ability to sway.
I am from a cold state so thanks for that. 8) And yes, I know the intent was backhanded.

I'm going to revert back to the idea that there is sun outside and 2Ls are online at a law forum instead of enjoying the outdoors.
Backwards philosophy.

User avatar
padawanphil
Posts: 351
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Miami vs San Diego

Postby padawanphil » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:23 pm

romothesavior wrote:But she's just a 0L who landed some paralegal job and is preaching to us that ties don't matter in legal hiring? Holy smokes...

If this is even remotely true then
Image

User avatar
padawanphil
Posts: 351
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Miami vs San Diego

Postby padawanphil » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:26 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
padawanphil wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
romothesavior wrote:He wasn't citing Wikipedia for anything. He was saying that your conclusions are based on anecdotal evidence. How do you not understand this?


I get that, but seeing as I have actually been a statistic, I think anecdotal evidence supersedes generic ramblings. But that's just me.

Like I said, we can all differ but the point still stands that relocation is not a deterrent.

Your experience being an exception to the rule doesn't establish the bolded. Normally, I would have just dropped this because you seem pretty adamant, but OP might get convinced that "relocation is not a deterrent" and be unhappy when their experience says otherwise. I'm glad it worked out for you. Just know that you are a special snowflake :wink:


Relocation is not a deterrent. If you would like to attempt to convince someone that it is, that is your ability to sway.
I am from a cold state so thanks for that. 8) And yes, I know the intent was backhanded.

I'm going to revert back to the idea that there is sun outside and 2Ls are online at a law forum instead of enjoying the outdoors.
Backwards philosophy.

The intent actually was not backhanded because I'm really not trying to be a jerk. I just think you're giving bad advice to somebody and it could end up helping them make a decision they'll regret. This is TLS so I can understand why you'd think that though.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Miami vs San Diego

Postby BearsGrl » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:30 pm

Relocation is not a deterrent. If you would like to attempt to convince someone that it is, that is your ability to sway.
I am from a cold state so thanks for that. 8) And yes, I know the intent was backhanded.

I'm going to revert back to the idea that there is sun outside and 2Ls are online at a law forum instead of enjoying the outdoors.
Backwards philosophy.[/quote]
The intent actually was not backhanded because I'm really not trying to be a jerk. I just think you're giving bad advice to somebody and it could end up helping them make a decision they'll regret. This is TLS so I can understand why you'd think that though.[/quote]

No worries - As I said, we can all disagree over this. As we have. :D

Either way, 2Ls shouldn't be on this board when there is sunshine. Period.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Miami vs San Diego

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:43 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
Either way, 2Ls shouldn't be on this board when there is sunshine. Period.


I'm inside working on a paper for a seminar. Just because I have a summer job lined up doesn't mean I don't have to do school work anymore. And law school will always present students with things to gun about. First year it's grades and 1L job, then journal at the end of the year. Second year it's OCI, ed board for journal, and grades for clerkships. I guess third year it's mostly isolated to the few people who want the various honors. All that to say--for some people, there is no sunshine during law school.

User avatar
chup
Posts: 23648
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:48 pm

Re: Miami vs San Diego

Postby chup » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:53 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
romothesavior wrote:He wasn't citing Wikipedia for anything. He was saying that your conclusions are based on anecdotal evidence. How do you not understand this?


I get that, but seeing as I have actually been a statistic, I think anecdotal evidence supersedes generic ramblings. But that's just me.

Jesus fuck you're dense.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Miami vs San Diego

Postby BearsGrl » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:04 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
Either way, 2Ls shouldn't be on this board when there is sunshine. Period.


I'm inside working on a paper for a seminar. Just because I have a summer job lined up doesn't mean I don't have to do school work anymore. And law school will always present students with things to gun about. First year it's grades and 1L job, then journal at the end of the year. Second year it's OCI, ed board for journal, and grades for clerkships. I guess third year it's mostly isolated to the few people who want the various honors. All that to say--for some people, there is no sunshine during law school.


Understood with your last statement. We just differ on the opportunity cost of visiting this site in one's "free time" versus another site or activity.

I appreciate your commentary overall. You appear well-reasoned even though we disagree and see things different. I can at least appreciate your commentary. I know that means nothing since as you can read above, my opinion is squat. I still give credit where credit is due.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Miami vs San Diego

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:16 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
Either way, 2Ls shouldn't be on this board when there is sunshine. Period.


I'm inside working on a paper for a seminar. Just because I have a summer job lined up doesn't mean I don't have to do school work anymore. And law school will always present students with things to gun about. First year it's grades and 1L job, then journal at the end of the year. Second year it's OCI, ed board for journal, and grades for clerkships. I guess third year it's mostly isolated to the few people who want the various honors. All that to say--for some people, there is no sunshine during law school.

I find it funny that someone who has spent the whole day bickering with us idiot 2Ls is accusing us of wasting our days, having no jobs, having no life, etc.

FWIW, I've been having a fun day of golf, eating out, and drinking. I find time to provide my valuable services to this fine online establishment amid my busy day of being awesome. 8)

For one who likes to call others out for unwarranted assumptions, you sure are good at drawing them.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Miami vs San Diego

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:22 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
Either way, 2Ls shouldn't be on this board when there is sunshine. Period.


I'm inside working on a paper for a seminar. Just because I have a summer job lined up doesn't mean I don't have to do school work anymore. And law school will always present students with things to gun about. First year it's grades and 1L job, then journal at the end of the year. Second year it's OCI, ed board for journal, and grades for clerkships. I guess third year it's mostly isolated to the few people who want the various honors. All that to say--for some people, there is no sunshine during law school.

I find it funny that someone who has spent the whole day bickering with us idiot 2Ls is accusing us of wasting our days, having no jobs, having no life, etc.

FWIW, I've been having a fun day of golf, eating out, and drinking. I find time to provide my valuable services to this fine online establishment amid my busy day of being awesome. 8)

For one who likes to call others out for unwarranted assumptions, you sure are good at drawing them.


I, on the other hand, have attempted to be productive, which has been a complete failure. The only thing I succeeded in was not having fun today. FML.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Miami vs San Diego

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:38 pm

We have all been there.

User avatar
dproduct
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: Miami vs San Diego

Postby dproduct » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:47 am

+1 for being the most entertaining thread this week.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest