granturismo72 wrote:What do you think a think a UF Law student can do to make themselves competitive for those SA positions?
A few things. These aren't in any particular order, so I will try to indicate the relative importance of each.
1) Good grades (necessary but not sufficient - outside of top 5 or so students nothing is guaranteed - seriously).
2) Ties to Florida or other target market (i.e. Atlanta) (not necessary, but very helpful - note: ties to a particular city like Tampa or Miami can be game changers, general FL ties may not be enough).
3) Good work experience (not necessary, but a good resume is valued highly by firms in Florida, especially in this economy).
4) Moderately good interview skills (I actually think this is necessary, but I'll be conservative and say this is VERY helpful).
5) Friendly, personable disposition (Also want to argue this is necessary, but again, at the least VERY helpful).
6) Be good looking (not necessary, but helpful).
7) Conservatively well dressed (probably necessary, at the least very helpful).
There are probably more.