UF vs Florida State

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Its Always Sunny

Re: UF vs Florida State

Postby Its Always Sunny » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:21 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Its Always Sunny wrote:
dolfan0516 wrote:
Its Always Sunny wrote:Yea I mean Miami dominates south Florida and UF is a close second.

lol

Besides T14 where do most Miami law firms recruit?

Every person who goes to Miami admits that it is in a terrible state right now, and at sticker FIU would probably be a better option at this point.

True. It just comes down to go to school where you want to practice. I think UF places the best in all of Florida as a whole when compared to all other law schools in the state.

Its Always Sunny

Postby Its Always Sunny » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:24 pm

NoleinNY wrote:
Its Always Sunny wrote:
dolfan0516 wrote:
Its Always Sunny wrote:Yea I mean Miami dominates south Florida and UF is a close second.

lol

Emory and Vandy?

Re: this thread

*facepalm*

I agree on Vandy. I never looked into Emory statistics but could see that. It thought most of their grads tried for Atlanta. Nonetheless the OP asked between UF and FSU and sorry if it got off track.

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:34 pm

I wasn't facepalming the off-track-ness, I was doing it for the fact that we have 100 of these uf/Fsu threads. In each, you have anti-tally and anti-g-ville trolls, and the more rational people who point out that they are, objectively, pretty much identical.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:37 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:53 pm

Don't mean to stray from the point here at all because it's not OP's situation, but I didn't think it was worth creating a whole new thread. I'm wondering how important being from FL/having FL ties are to finding a job in the state from FSU or UF? No particular sector or salary in mind, just a full-time legal job in general. I know most schools in this range are regional, but I guess I'm wondering if it's absurdly insular (like my home market in the PNW).

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:04 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:Don't mean to stray from the point here at all because it's not OP's situation, but I didn't think it was worth creating a whole new thread. I'm wondering how important being from FL/having FL ties are to finding a job in the state from FSU or UF? No particular sector or salary in mind, just a full-time legal job in general. I know most schools in this range are regional, but I guess I'm wondering if it's absurdly insular (like my home market in the PNW).

A 3L I know at UF was an out of state student with LR etc. He said he had a really difficult time finding a job because Florida, particularly South Florida, really likes people to have ties to the area. His job is kick ass though, so take this anecdote with a grain of salt.

Mitch McDeere

Postby Mitch McDeere » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:15 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:Don't mean to stray from the point here at all because it's not OP's situation, but I didn't think it was worth creating a whole new thread. I'm wondering how important being from FL/having FL ties are to finding a job in the state from FSU or UF? No particular sector or salary in mind, just a full-time legal job in general. I know most schools in this range are regional, but I guess I'm wondering if it's absurdly insular (like my home market in the PNW).

I think the idea that you need ties to FL is certainly valid, but somewhat overstated on here. While it's true that some firms really want you to have solid ties, others don't really seem to care as long as you have some plausible reason for wanting to work there (i.e. you like the weather/beaches, etc.). The problem is that you'll be competing with a lot of FL natives for a relatively small number of jobs. That said, I know of people with pretty sweet in-state jobs that had zero ties to the state prior to law school.

Another thing to keep in mind is the size of Florida. For the firms that do require ties, it may not be enough to just have ties to FL in general--you may need ties to the specific city/region that their office is located.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:30 pm

granturismo72

Postby granturismo72 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:04 pm

I'm a FL resident and I got into both UF and FSU with money and I am leaning heavily towards UF at this point. Are the prospects for jobs in biglaw and mid-sized firms in Florida really as low as everyone presents them?

Indifferent

Postby Indifferent » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:12 pm

NoleinNY wrote:
Its Always Sunny wrote:
dolfan0516 wrote:

lol

Emory and Vandy?

Re: this thread

*facepalm*

Facepalm, eh?

TWO south florida firms recruit at Vandy according to NALP.

ONE, yes, a single, solitary firm from south florida recruits from Emory.

STFU and check facts pls. tyia.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:14 pm

granturismo72

Postby granturismo72 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:33 pm

What do you think a think a UF Law student can do to make themselves competitive for those SA positions?

Indifferent

Postby Indifferent » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:38 pm

rad lulz wrote:There are like 125-140 odd summer associate positions (the entree into the vast majority of large and medium-sized firms) in the whole state, and with a large population, lots of people come back from T14/Vandy/Emory type schools looking to grab those too.

So, I was bored and decided to input all of the SAs from 2011 reported by NALP firms with offices in Florida into an excel spreadsheet. 90 total. Now, granted, a bunch of firms had nothing filled in, and there are a lot of firms that take summers that aren't associated with NALP (Gray Robinson comes to mind off of the top of my head), rad's guess is probably pretty accurate. I'd adjust it up a bit since this year seems to be panning out better to about 160-170, but it's still a very small number when you consider the combined classes of FSU/UM/UF already account for almost 1000 people.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:39 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:41 pm

Indifferent

Postby Indifferent » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:48 pm

granturismo72 wrote:What do you think a think a UF Law student can do to make themselves competitive for those SA positions?

A few things. These aren't in any particular order, so I will try to indicate the relative importance of each.

1) Good grades (necessary but not sufficient - outside of top 5 or so students nothing is guaranteed - seriously).
2) Ties to Florida or other target market (i.e. Atlanta) (not necessary, but very helpful - note: ties to a particular city like Tampa or Miami can be game changers, general FL ties may not be enough).
3) Good work experience (not necessary, but a good resume is valued highly by firms in Florida, especially in this economy).
4) Moderately good interview skills (I actually think this is necessary, but I'll be conservative and say this is VERY helpful).
5) Friendly, personable disposition (Also want to argue this is necessary, but again, at the least VERY helpful).
6) Be good looking (not necessary, but helpful).
7) Conservatively well dressed (probably necessary, at the least very helpful).

There are probably more.

Indifferent

Postby Indifferent » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:51 pm

rad lulz wrote:FL firms don't really recruit AT Vandy because it's far and there are like 4-6 Floridians here with grades that big and midsize firms would be interested in. These people tend to do pretty well when they apply on their own, however.

Obviously people from Vandy/Emory have a good shot at any Florida firms.

I was merely pointing out that you shouldn't make sweeping, unsubstantiated statements when you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

granturismo72

Postby granturismo72 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:05 pm

Thanks! I appreciate the insight.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:26 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:39 pm

Indifferent wrote:Facepalm, eh?

TWO south florida firms recruit at Vandy according to NALP.

ONE, yes, a single, solitary firm from south florida recruits from Emory.

STFU and check facts pls. tyia.

The facepalm had nothing to do with Emory and Vandy. It was response to the tenor (and, well, existence) of the thread. The person asked who sends to big law and I responded with a QUESTION. Calm down, sir.

Indifferent

Postby Indifferent » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:48 pm

NoleinNY wrote:The person asked who sends to big law

Oh, sorry, I guess you're just not very good at reading.

Bless

Postby Bless » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:21 pm

The two schools are peer schools, and both schools run FL. As far as job prospects, it will not make a significant difference, if any at all, where you go. You should go where you'll be happiest.

I'm not going to speak on UF Law -- I'll let someone from that school do so, because they certainly know better than me. But I'll tell you about FSU.

As far as student life, FSU Law's is terrific. We have an incredibly active, densely populated SBA that throws socials on a regular basis. FSU Law socializes together regularly. The community at large is a family -- it's a very close-knit environment within the halls of the school. Everyone knows each other, and everyone likes each other. And a majority of us actually go out and have a good time. This weekend alone, I have several events to choose from: a law school social tonight, a party for st. patty's, and a birthday party for one of my buddy's in the school. Unfortunately, I have an appellate brief to tend to, lol.

I went to FSU for UG and after taking off a year to move back to South FL, I dreaded coming back to Tally. I was sick over it. I will also say that after a week at FSU Law, my sorrow attitude completely changed, and it was all because of the enviroment at FSU Law. I love where attend law school and who I attend law school with, and have absolutely no regrets.

Also, being that Tallahassee is the capital, FSU offers unique resources to law students that most law schools do not and cannot. I'm a nobody 1L and I've already worked two internships in the Capitol building: one for the Florida Senate, and one for the Florida House of Representatives.

Congrats on having two great options. Visit both and go with your gut. Good luck.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”