Rankings are stupid. Calm down.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
PhiAlphaFLBeta

Re: Rankings are stupid. Calm down.

Postby PhiAlphaFLBeta » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:43 pm

chimp wrote:
PhiAlphaFLBeta wrote:Only way I can see the rankings being relevant in any way is that we (0Ls) take them so seriously that we'll choose where we apply and enroll based on the USNews ranks. This affects the quality of students that school can recruit, which in theory would improve the quality of the graduates from that school. Long term, rankings could indirectly alter how law firms view schools.

Best advice I ever received was from a retired CT appellate court judge who told me to go where I can get the best legal education for the least amount of money regardless of rank.

That's actually pretty misleading/shitty advice.

Why? He was telling me to avoid spending 150k on a TT private school when I can spend 60k and get a good legal education from a TTT state school. Seems like good advice to me.

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:45 pm

Because "best legal education" is stupid. You don't learn anything in law school. You need to go where there are the best job prospects.

Postby 071816 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:48 pm

Dany wrote:Because "best legal education" is stupid. You don't learn anything in law school. You need to go where there are the best job prospects.

This.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:15 pm

chimp wrote:
Dany wrote:Because "best legal education" is stupid. You don't learn anything in law school. You need to go where there are the best job prospects.

This.

pretty much. This reminds me of that LSN profile where someone turned down Yale to go to Phoenix with $$$. Laughable.

Postby 20160810 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:21 pm

JoeMo wrote:
chimp wrote:

This.

pretty much. This reminds me of that LSN profile where someone turned down Yale to go to Phoenix with $$$. Laughable.

This sounds like pure, uncut trolling to me.

PhiAlphaFLBeta

Postby PhiAlphaFLBeta » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:11 pm

After the T15, career prospects are mostly regional, so why spend 150k for a private school like Tulane when you can go to LSU for less than half the price. That's what I took from his advice.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:13 pm

PhiAlphaFLBeta wrote:After the T15, career prospects are mostly regional, so why spend 150k for a private school like Tulane when you can go to LSU for less than half the price. That's what I took from his advice.

This is good advice. This is not what you said before.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:45 pm

Br3v wrote:Welcome to applying to law school where the employment prospects are made up and the rankings don't matter.

Well that got some laughs from the Prez. :mrgreen:

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:52 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
Br3v wrote:Welcome to applying to law school where the employment prospects are made up and the rankings don't matter.

Yeah I lol'd too.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:54 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:

Third person post?

PhiAlphaFLBeta

Postby PhiAlphaFLBeta » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:57 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
PhiAlphaFLBeta wrote:After the T15, career prospects are mostly regional, so why spend 150k for a private school like Tulane when you can go to LSU for less than half the price. That's what I took from his advice.

This is good advice. This is not what you said before.

It's what I meant the first time, guess I didn't express it very well.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:15 pm

Pleasye wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:

Yeah I lol'd too.

Renne Walker

Postby Renne Walker » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:11 am

If law school rankings didn’t matter, we’d all be living at home or in a vacation resort attending the area’s cheapest school.

I agree with posters claiming that we are taught the same thing in class. Over spring break a friend played an online recording from one of her classes, there wasn’t any difference to what we were imparted. Perhaps the day will come when we will all take identical classes on-line, get our grade, pass the bar and then fend for ourselves without being helped or worsened by law school rankings. But until then. . .

Postby 20160810 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:41 am

Renne Walker wrote:If law school rankings didn’t matter, we’d all be living at home or in a vacation resort attending the area’s cheapest school.

I agree with posters claiming that we are taught the same thing in class. Over spring break a friend played an online recording from one of her classes, there wasn’t any difference to what we were imparted. Perhaps the day will come when we will all take identical classes on-line, get our grade, pass the bar and then fend for ourselves without being helped or worsened by law school rankings. But until then. . .

You're right, everyone should apply to ASU in DROVES

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:45 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:51 am

Renne Walker wrote:If law school rankings didn’t matter, we’d all be living at home or in a vacation resort attending the area’s cheapest school.

USNWR are the only rankings that exist objectively or subjectively, AMIRITE?

Postby 20160810 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:55 am

Guchster wrote:

Drop out now. ED to ASU.

Bless

Postby Bless » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:13 pm

This is true. When you're as smart as Dany Boy and you universally knew the way the law worked in all fields before law school orientation was even fathomed, which of course we all did, you won't learn anything in law school.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:17 pm

Bless wrote:

This is true. When you're as smart as Dany Boy and you universally knew the way the law worked in all fields before law school orientation was even fathomed, which of course we all did, you didn't learn anything in law school.

She's exaggerating a little (you do learn some stuff in law school), but most learning is done on the job, not in the classroom.

And she is definitely right that "best legal education" is stupid and it would be foolish for anyone to choose a school based on perceived differences in educational quality. Law schools are almost perfect carbon copies of one another. I am learning the same thing at my school as the rest of TLS is learning at theirs. To what extent there are differences in education, they are negligible compared to job prospects, and job prospects should be the top concern on everyone's mind, followed closely by debt.

Bless

Postby Bless » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:23 pm

I agree that choosing a law school for the "best legal education" is retarded. Any difference, from the best to the worst, is so unexplainably minuscule and will have no effect in practice.

However, I do think (know) you learn a lot in law school.

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:35 pm

Bless wrote:

This is true. When you're as smart as Dany Boy and you universally knew the way the law worked in all fields before law school orientation was even fathomed, which of course we all did, you won't learn anything in law school.

lol

chup

Postby chup » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:35 pm

Guchster wrote:

A CHALLENGER APPEARS.

chup

Postby chup » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:36 pm

Bless wrote:

I don't think you know the definition of "fathom."

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:43 pm

chup wrote:
Bless wrote:

I don't think you know the definition of "fathom."

http://youtu.be/D58LpHBnvsI

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:01 pm

Dany wrote:
Bless wrote:

lol

wat is a "dany boy"?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”